SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the auto parts store getting my Mobil 1, and the gent in front of me is buying wolfshead universal atf, he claims he uses it in his mercedes and lexus...4 bucks a quart. I went to the web page and it lists all the models and transmissions its good for...aisin trans and 3309 are listed...seems to me to be priced right for a full synthetic product, anyone out here tried it or have more knowledge ?? JHW<br>

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: Wolfs Head Universal ATF (2.4asr)

If you search these forums you will find the atf topic for AW55/50 to be a hot one. I don't recall seeing the Wolf's Head brand discussed around here. <p>Both Wolf's Head and Amalie are old reputable names in the lube business, but like most, are no longer owned and or operated by the folks that established their reputations. In '06 Amalie Oil bought the rights to the name from Shell Oil (Pennzoil) who had previously acquired it from Kendall. Amalie itself is not the original company having been acquired by a Tampa, FL blender in the late 90's. They are typical of the many "non-multinational humongous" oil company lube blenders in the industry, e.g. BG, Amsoil, Redline, Warren, etc.<p>They probably have some technical ability, but their products are more likely non-infringing knock offs of something else. It's not difficult to do in this business. I doubt that they do much if any SAE approved long term application testing; it's just too expensive.<p>You won't ruin your tranny with this stuff, it may even shift better than the oem, but with Mobil 3309 or another product available from the big boys who probably know the actual formulation, why bother?<p><A HREF="http://www.wolfshead.com/specsheets/universalsynthetic.pdf" TARGET="_blank">Universal Synthetic ATF Tech DS</A> It is a synthetic like Castrol Syntec: a severely hydrotreated paraffinic basestock, i.e. not PAO. Its 40C & 100C viscosities are significantly thinner than Mobil 3309. I am not sure how this will affect the trannies at temp behavior, but it will flow more at low T.<p>Amalie says it is applicable for just about everything, including JWS 3309, but you'll note that it is not JWS 3309 specified which just means that it is not officially JWS 33099--they do not want to paying licensing fees to A-W...<p>Presumably it has the appropriate additive package with suitable friction modifiers for the AW55/50. Note that the JWS 3309 spec is backwards compatible with almost all late model ATF specs, but the converse is not true.<p>In conclusion (yes, finally), you won't kill your tranny using it, and if you don't like it, you can just change it out. Your choice.<br>

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just get the RIGHT fluid from a ford/toyota/mazda dealer, WAY cheaper then Volvo. Mazda was the cheapest up here.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: (BellevilleV70)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>BellevilleV70</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just get the RIGHT fluid from a ford/toyota/mazda dealer, WAY cheaper then Volvo. Mazda was the cheapest up here. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ford/Mazda is probably the <i>exact</i> same stuff as the Volvo ATF.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MrTippy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MrTippy</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Ford/Mazda is probably the <i>exact</i> same stuff as the Volvo ATF.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Not probably...IS the same stuff<br><B>Toyota Type IV IS 3309</B>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: (MrTippy)

Is this the fluid you're talking about?<p><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Quarts-Toyota%2fScion-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-ATF_W0QQitemZ130301638882QQcmdZViewItem" TARGET="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem</A>

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: (hethaerto)

Yes, but at about $6/qt it's no deal. Should be able to get this price or better at any local Toyota dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts