SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Woes with R head unit install.

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  AvengerTT 
#1 ·
I got the wiring harness off eBay.
A Kenwood double din
Ipod adapter cable
Steering wheel control module.

And I think I have it wired right but even though I have power it won't turn on. I took out everything non essential just to see.

From the factory harness do I need anything besides purple car to red harness for ignition power. Red car to yellow harness for constant. And brown car to black harness for ground. Shouldn't it power on and boot up from just that in theory? I took out the eBay harness to see what it'd do but the same result.

For that harness if anyone has experience I just do the black in with the brown to black. And red in the purple to red? Then be 6 pin connection to eachother and the rca cables?

I've done plenty.of.installs before but this is making.me crazy frustrated. Sorry for be ramble here.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The wiring is correct. It should power up with just those three.
Did you crimp, strip and twist, solder? Perhaps the ground isn't connected solidly?

If the kenwood is somehow in soft off mode, you can turn it on by holding upper two buttons on the left side for a sec or two (nav and src)

#3 ·
maybe thats the issue. i was just upset because even if my speaker wiring was somehow off i figured wtih just the 3 wires the thing would at least give me some sort of normal boot menu.

i will recheck the wires, i should try soldering. i've always been a twist & tape installer but i understand the need fo rmore.

it is maybe a 'soft off' mode.

i get a little red triangle light in the upper left. but that itt.

#5 ·
it is maybe a 'soft off' mode.

i get a little red triangle light in the upper left. but that itt.
The red triangle means the main battery power is working. Either it is in sleep mode (the two buttons mentioned earlier), or the accessory power is not connected properly (Volvo purple).

and Key is in position I or II right? without a key there is no accessory power.

#6 ·
Yeah key was in 2. Is it possible I did something bad to the unit? The fuse on the unit is fine but I did blow the radio fuse.in the car at one point.

I will try the reset as soon as I can. I was doing.one button yesterday not.both. thanks all.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
still the same result.

the red blinking triangle doesn't really seem like a button. & the one next to it (in between the red & the eject button) goes in but doesn't seem to come back out. very strange.

sidenote, does anyone know the factory wire i should put the HU's illumination wire to?

#9 ·
sidenote, does anyone know the factory wire i should put the HU's illumination wire to?
Volvo sends the illumination signal over the canbus wire, so dimming on the Kenwood won't work (Volvo signal is not analog)

for the hell of it i put both the yellow & red wire from the factory harness to the red on the car & it turned on.

is the purple either not the only accessory or does it pull from some fuse besides the radio fuse that may be blown?

any ideas?
thanks.
Yup, you blew the accessory fuse. Sounds like you originally connected the Kenwood yellow to the car purple by mistake :p

It is Fuse number 1 in the engine compartment (25 AMPS)

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_s60/04s60_11b.htm#pg140

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.