SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The C30 is probably my second favorite car that Volvo has produced in the past 10 years. It is fun to drive, comfortable to be in, and very safe. But no car is perfect. I'm wondering what other people would have on their wish list for a future C30 model.

My Wish List:
- Panoramic Roof from the SCC
- Optional All Wheel Drive
- Flat Folding Rear Seats (for dog comfort)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have driven 2 of them. My thoughts both times were "great vehicle, $5k too much". I know the production value of Volvo (read my sig) but at the same time, it just was priced out of its market (at least in the USA)

Sorry, all you C30 Drivers... I hate to see this one slip away... they are a neat auto, and will probably end up with a used one some day. I do wish they'd built an awd version. And the fold flat rear seats that Matt1122 mentioned would be another great thing.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
A more distinct interior. I enjoyed driving the car, but the interior was too boring. Too much S40.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Three letters: A W D

It was a simple bolt in with parts from the S40/V50, there was no real reason for them not to offer it.
From what I understand, the drive shaft had to be shortened for implementation in the C30 Polestar Concept. Just wanted to post this for clarity.

·
Registered
168 Posts
RWD and to make a coupe out of it. It borrowed styling cues from the P1800ES, but if you derive backwards towards the original P1800 to make a coupe out of it (vs. hatchback), shave about 250 lbs off it, and made it rear drive (the way ALL Volvos should be, IMHO) - then you'd have something, even at current power levels.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
there was no real reason for them not to offer it.
Like a manual transmission?

Same stupid thing is happening with the V40 at the moment. The more sportive model closest to premium, V40 RD T5, is only offered with GT and without AWD.
AWD is available in the V40 CC though. Exactly the same car body wise.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did I mention that we can't even custom order R-Design XC60's or S60's in certain color combinations which are available in Europe despite the fact that the car is made in the same exact factory? Arbitrary "we will only offer this and that" decisions must really, really reduce production costs somehow to justify this. =(

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
What was C30 missing?

Uh, advertising!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just know many of the professional women I work with have Minis and the Minis interior is much more ornate in my opinion. The Mini is cheaper too and maybe Volvo should have introduced a cheaper normally aspirated version for the US market.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing, really. This was a really unique product. Ask all of us who drove MS3's, GTI's, G35 coupes, etc. trying to find the right "balance" who ended up with that sweet shooting brake profile in the driveway. 'Glad we got one while they were offered. 'Really tried to convince myself after the end of production press release that we needed to go to the dealer this weekend and sign up for another OSD deliver of one. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Agree with many of things written here - mainly the AWD and a more unique interior. Also here in Australia it was $5K-$8K too expensive compared with the competitors. That said, like Magic Bus, its highly likely we'll be keeping our '09 C30 T5 for the long term. Its been a great second car and done everytning we expected of it with just a single minor issue (fixed under warranty). Even though we may be tempted to look at the V40 when it gets released early next year in Oz, I've a feeling we'll hang on to the C30 instead.

Tony

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would say AWD being #1, but in the same token a true "R" model, something without a huge option list to push the price to high but good base model options, with AWD and around ~270-280 BHP. Lots of auto enthusiasts think it is one of the better if not the best looking car in it's class (I thought the same, that is why I bought one).

I have also heard it's too much $$$ for what it is, I kind of have to disagree. I don't like spending money when I don't have to but I have built Mini's, Golfs, Audi A3's multiple times over the course of the past 2 years before I decided on the C30. You easily go north of 30K in a hurry without even that many options, maybe Volvo needed a more base trim model that was low 20s (like some Golfs). On the other hand, how much is the AWD Golf R selling for 36K+? Then you start getting into Sti, Evolution, etc territory. I guess the Golf and the Mini have more of a following and some history, but you can't tell me all the people buying Mini's are doing it because of it's nostalgic appeal, they did something right and built the following up since introduction, it didn't happen overnight.

My custom built R-desgin with Polestar tune came in right at 30K. I didn't go nuts with options, I got things that made the driving experience more pleasurable in my opinion (power drivers seat, keyless drive, xenons and everything else that came on the R-design - plus the Polestar tune. So as it sits I have a 250BHP FWD car, if the suspension/steering was tightened up a bit, bigger brakes, AWD and about 30 bhp I think it would just about be my dream car. If I could buy that car for 32-34K I would do it all day long.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
when putting the car in reverse, the side mirrors do not angle down.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Sport chassis for all c30 and AWD.

Why no AWD?!

Volvo did a big mistake by not offering it.
they do have a sport chassis. volvo's awd in general aren't that great anyways. rwd is the way to go.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No thank you on the sport chassis on all C30's. The C30 non-R-design's suspension was just fine.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts