SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I will be replacing my clutch (original S40 out & S60R in), flywheel (Spec single mass), slave cylinder & seals/bolts that are in the area. I plan on taking my time and doing it right.:beer::)

Thanks for all of the info I've recieved on this forum!:thumbup:

And last but certainly not least, Happy Veterans Day! Thank you for your service ladies and gentlemen.
To those that are with their families, enjoy the day and Godspeed to those that aren't.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Good luck and yes happy Veterans Day!

Do take a camera with you for the job!

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts
Now there's a project I would have started on Friday night, not Monday morning. Good luck and more power to you, that's a big undertaking for a day if you've never done it before!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reminder about the pictures, I usually forget.

I worked this weekend, I am off until Wednesday and start work at 4pm. I've done the job twice before on other automobiles (and many times on busses).

I was a diesel mechanic in a past life. One of the reasons I buy Volvos is their ease of maintenance. Some manufacturers seem to go out of their way to make their vehicles dificult to work on (I'm looking at you Nissan!) I don't get that impression from Volvo, it's as if their engineers actually thought about the mechanic's well being when designing their vehicles. The S40 is a little tight but I've seen a lot worse. I must say, I absolutely love getting my hands into my XC90.

Automobile parts are so cute! For me, it's like working on a model. I'm use to starters that are two feet long and generators (alternators) that weigh eighty pounds.

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts
it's as if their engineers actually thought about the mechanic's well being when designing their vehicles.
That, plus they probably thought that the typical Volvo owner could care less about messing around under their hood.

Easy for the mechanics and easy for the DIYers :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good luck, man. You'll love the clutch...it feels so much better and my shifting has never been so smooth. You should also change your rear main seal and flywheel bolts while you're in there.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input:)They are definitely getting done. A few more bolts and it will be out, but that will have to wait for tomorrow. Yes, I know, I'm not the quickest. I try to concentrate on safe and meticulous. It's bed time.....:beer:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Update???!!!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the trans out early Tuesday. Strange enough my biggest headache was getting that darn airbox out, what a POS! I then went to local dealer for minor parts that I would expect them to have in stock......silly me, they had to order the flywheel bolts and trans oil.....TRANS OIL!! You've got to be kidding! They'll be in Thursday, they had all of the seals. I most likely need to make up a clutch alignment tool, no biggie thanks to a pic posted on SS:)

I'll post the pics of the five pieces of what was once a clutch. Hopefully she'll be back on the road this weekend.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I was set back over the weekend when I realized that I needed a triple squared and there are none sold locally.....ordered from Snap-on Monday morning and recieved it Wednesday. Unfortunately that was an eighty seven hour work week for me and the rain didn't help so I couldn't touch anything until Monday morning. After pulling the trans seal, I realized that Volvo gave me the wrong seal and of course, not in stock. I picked it up the next day and was foiled by the rain again. Started hitting it hard Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday (today) and it is now complete.

There seems to be a rattle coming from the trans or clutch but only when the clutch is released. When you press the clutch pedal, the sound stops. Any thoughts or suggestions? Because the car was on jack stands, the car was not level when I added the trans oil thus only took one quart. I'm sure there was some oil in the trans as I am sure some more oil could have gone in if it were level. Could this cause a rattling sound?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the system just needed to be bled. The air in the line has worked itself out an now we are golden. I must review how to post the pics I took.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Sweet props to u for doin this urself :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'm sure the job will be more efficient next time.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ok, I was set back over the weekend when I realized that I needed a triple squared and there are none sold locally.....ordered from Snap-on Monday morning and recieved it Wednesday. Unfortunately that was an eighty seven hour work week for me and the rain didn't help so I couldn't touch anything until Monday morning. After pulling the trans seal, I realized that Volvo gave me the wrong seal and of course, not in stock. I picked it up the next day and was foiled by the rain again. Started hitting it hard Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday (today) and it is now complete.

There seems to be a rattle coming from the trans or clutch but only when the clutch is released. When you press the clutch pedal, the sound stops. Any thoughts or suggestions? Because the car was on jack stands, the car was not level when I added the trans oil thus only took one quart. I'm sure there was some oil in the trans as I am sure some more oil could have gone in if it were level. Could this cause a rattling sound?

Thanks again!
You sure the clutch sits like the old one and that it isn't too loose? That they have the same build sizes? I mean, I've changed a 940 Turbo with M90 and DMW against an M90 from a D24TIC with SMW and had to find, that the clutch Volvo said should fit didn't. Being the diesel (D24TIC) having different dimensions. The noises it made were rather like those you describe. A slight quite rattle which disappears as soon as you press the pedal. So I tryed the standard clutch from an M46 with P-Type OD fitted and it worked instantly. Noise gone.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
^ that 'rattling' noise is normal with the single-mass flywheel at idle and low RPMs. I have it as well. It is a common issue with R owners, too. Google it and you will see it is a known issue with other makes/models.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how's the clutch/flywheel feeling anyway?
It feels great! I can't wait to see what she can do, 400 miles to go.
You sure the clutch sits like the old one and that it isn't too loose? That they have the same build sizes? I mean, I've changed a 940 Turbo with M90 and DMW against an M90 from a D24TIC with SMW and had to find, that the clutch Volvo said should fit didn't. Being the diesel (D24TIC) having different dimensions. The noises it made were rather like those you describe. A slight quite rattle which disappears as soon as you press the pedal. So I tryed the standard clutch from an M46 with P-Type OD fitted and it worked instantly. Noise gone.
Honestly im not sure, I figured the R was the most powerful whiteblock that was made and the clutch should easily handle whatever I plan on throwing at it. Props on the M90, I had a 745 that a tweaked and had turbo and M90 dreams about, but alas it was a Regina car and not worth the effort. It must be said that the handling and ease of maintenance directly resulted in the two vehicles I own now.
^ that 'rattling' noise is normal with the single-mass flywheel at idle and low RPMs. I have it as well. It is a common issue with R owners, too. Google it and you will see it is a known issue with other makes/models.
Thank you very much, I know you and others have mentioned a noise so I expected something, I just wasn't positive on exactly what to expect. In my opinion, it is livable especially considering the hook-up the car now has.

I have yet to figure out how to post pics from my iPad where the pics are located to SS. I'll keep working in that but as you can tell from this timeline, it may be a while ;-)

thanks again for the input:beer:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

old clutch

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

SMF

·