SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you may know I brought my vehicle in the for November update back in November, the Monday before Thanksgiving. They were going to do the update and a whole slew of other TSBs and recalls that also needed addressing. I got the call Wednesday that the car was ready for pickup. This was while there was still a shutdown on the software which came either late Monday or Tuesday, I forget. I asked if everything was ok before going to pick it up and they said yes, the update is back up and yours is working fine.

So I get the car and after playing with features for a few minutes I see that data is not working within the car though the SIM cars. Go back to them within half an hour. They can connect the car to a hotspot off a techs phone as well as connect to the wifi in the shop and it works. But trying to just use the SIM card for data accomplished nothing. Also of note was VOC was not working that Wednesday when I was there, and the sub was still active that day. It expired the next day, Thanksgiving day. They attempted to reload some software and it didn't fix it. So with a semi shrug I'm given the car back and took it because well, it drove and I needed it at this point for the holidays because they didn't have a 3 row XC90 to give me as a loaner.

So I go back and they have the car for 7 days troubleshooting (Monday to a Monday) and it needs a part that is on 10 day backorger. This is days before Christmas Eve, where I am again needing the vehicle for an aprox. 800 mile trip and need 3 rows. So again, it is go get the car to only have to go back again.

The again happened this morning, dropped it off a little but ago. Still no XC90 loaners but they say they may get them 'soon'. I wanted to mix it up after two XC60s (the second of which didn't even have a backup camera or keyless entry so I was a bit upset at bringing in a First Edition and being given that) so this time got an XC70.

So anyways, wish my vehicle a hopeful recovery from this miracle part and I can be on my way with data and VOC again working (the VOC has since been reconnected during this but it still won't function).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Third time's the charm?

Regardless, best of luck to you!

And thank you for chronicling your journey here. I'm sure it's been frustrating for you, but we do appreciate all of the information you provide and I'm sure many others beyond myself have found it helpful.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Well, some of you may know I brought my vehicle in the for November update back in November, the Monday before Thanksgiving. They were going to do the update and a whole slew of other TSBs and recalls that also needed addressing. I got the call Wednesday that the car was ready for pickup. This was while there was still a shutdown on the software which came either late Monday or Tuesday, I forget. I asked if everything was ok before going to pick it up and they said yes, the update is back up and yours is working fine.

So I get the car and after playing with features for a few minutes I see that data is not working within the car though the SIM cars. Go back to them within half an hour. They can connect the car to a hotspot off a techs phone as well as connect to the wifi in the shop and it works. But trying to just use the SIM card for data accomplished nothing. Also of note was VOC was not working that Wednesday when I was there, and the sub was still active that day. It expired the next day, Thanksgiving day. They attempted to reload some software and it didn't fix it. So with a semi shrug I'm given the car back and took it because well, it drove and I needed it at this point for the holidays because they didn't have a 3 row XC90 to give me as a loaner.

So I go back and they have the car for 7 days troubleshooting (Monday to a Monday) and it needs a part that is on 10 day backorger. This is days before Christmas Eve, where I am again needing the vehicle for an aprox. 800 mile trip and need 3 rows. So again, it is go get the car to only have to go back again.

The again happened this morning, dropped it off a little but ago. Still no XC90 loaners but they say they may get them 'soon'. I wanted to mix it up after two XC60s (the second of which didn't even have a backup camera or keyless entry so I was a bit upset at bringing in a First Edition and being given that) so this time got an XC70.

So anyways, wish my vehicle a hopeful recovery from this miracle part and I can be on my way with data and VOC again working (the VOC has since been reconnected during this but it still won't function).
Good luck. Have a good feeling this time!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Maxwell, I appreciate it. I 'miss' the fun that was the leadup to all of us early adpoters getting our vehicles late last and early this year. Feels like yesterday I was tracking thousands of VINS on vessel's and trying to figure out what the various VIN decoding meant at the time, lol.

I've got faith in the dealership, they in the end are great people who are trying. It's the way they have to go about troubleshooting more technical issues which have arose with the XC90s since they are simply so new.

It's still quite a drive, and a costly one, for me to get to my dealership but once they can give XC90 owners an XC90 in return as a loaner, that will help some people a bit with the time it takes to find and implement fixes, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck. Have a good feeling this time!
Thanks as well reeg2! From things I'm beginning to decipher on how some sub systems work in the car, this part 'may' just be what is needed. What throws me, and even the service department guy for a bit of a loop. is how the update knocked this part out. And why other people with XC90's configured like mine (we are even another First Edition) is having a similar yet still different and unique problem. We wondered if some parts are still somehow different even made days apart and that could lead to some software working fine with some and different with others. All guesses but still odd nonetheless.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hopefully, they will finally get this sorted out today, and it will be smooth sailing for you from now on. I still haven't done the November update yet. It's probably completely safe to do so now, but horror stories like yours really scared me.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Damn, that's frustrating !!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, thank you all.

The vehicle part that I was told would be ordered was the TEM unit. From my own digging I found this slide within a PDF file that makes mention of the TEM unit (bottom towards the left):

Now, whether or not this affects Data Transmission and VOC, I am unsure. It does seem to be part of the Vehicle Connectivity Module so, hoping... One thing I've gotten a hint of is there is a separate or second sim card for VOC within the vehicle, possibly within the TEM unit(?).

Anyways, it's all irrelevant I guess if they can get it working but I'm one of those tech nerd guys who likes to know how things work.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wow.. that chart has made me crossed eyed.....

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so an update. I got an email a while ago that said the 3G is again working. They said they created a hotspot using the SIM card and connected to the hotspot to send the email. I can't check it from my end so I'll take them on their word that the part worked.

BUT, there always has to be a but... VOC, Volvo on Call, still is not updating. The subscription is active, and has been through this for a few weeks now, but it is still not updating anything. It shows the car as offline because it hasn't been driven (which is untrue), the driving journal still shows last data as November 25th, and sending any command to it results in a red bar basically telling me 'fail'...

When I brought it in I mentioned that it was in for the #g data problem but also VOC not working. So 10 minutes ago I get a phone call, "Your car is ready". So I ask about VOC, they're unsure. I said I'll call back, try the app (after deleting it and reloading it and relogging back in) and still nothing.

So I'll wait until tomorrow to see if by chance it 'resets' overnight but for now, still in the loaner and still without a working vehicle... And without ME actually testing the 3G data connection myself, I remain optimistic.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still get an error while trying to send a command like honk and flash lights or lock doors but things on the dashboard screen within the app are now updated. My distance to empty on the fuel gauge has finally changed for the first time in a month, fuel level itself has finally changed, odometer has updated and doors now show as locked, whereas they showed unlocked with hatch open for the past month so things may be slowly looking up.

I'm going to try the app again in the morning and if I can send a command successfully I'm going to go and pick up the car. Fingers crossed, lol.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sounds like progress! I bet the VOC is just some sort of minor error - perhaps because it couldn't connect when the trial expired, it can't then reconnect now that it has an active signal.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like progress! I bet the VOC is just some sort of minor error - perhaps because it couldn't connect when the trial expired, it can't then reconnect now that it has an active signal.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. It expired the day day after I picked the car up and had the no data issue (picked it up Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving and it expired Thanksgiving day). It was then reconnected December 18th but it never did work because of this data issue/TEM unit that needing replacing. I do remember that when they reactivated it, it took overnight for it to show on the vocrenewal website that it was again active so I'm hoping by later tonight or tomorrow morning all will have 'synced' and such and it'll be working good.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. It expired the day day after I picked the car up and had the no data issue (picked it up Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving and it expired Thanksgiving day). It was then reconnected December 18th but it never did work because of this data issue/TEM unit that needing replacing. I do remember that when they reactivated it, it took overnight for it to show on the vocrenewal website that it was again active so I'm hoping by later tonight or tomorrow morning all will have 'synced' and such and it'll be working good.
Any change to app status today?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have another appointment for the dealer to try and get my car connectivity working (which it has not since the November update) a week from Friday. Hopefully they will make progress.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, good news. Replacing the TEM unit has fixed my connectivity issues after the November Update. Took a while to get to the point of diagnosing that part as the problem, getting it and installing it but finally, I can say it has been remedied.

Late last night the VOC app updated showing new odometer readings, fuel gauge readings etc. Oddly, it was showing the car was unlocked but let me lock it though it still continued to show unlocked. When I got to the dealership I tried more functions, including the lock, and it began working fine so there definitely was some kind of delay in the cloud, or somewhere.

Anyways, glad to be back up and fully running. Good luck to you Citivas, I think you'll be looking at a new TEM unit as well but who knows in all honesty. Let us know how things go for ya'.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts