SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new situation as I have owned my 2019 XC40 for almost 12 months. Within the past couple of months my iPhone becomes extremely hot when wireless charging, hot to the point that I cannot hold onto the phone. It could be the phone, but I was curious if anyone is recently having this issue because I have had the phone and used wireless charges for months without a heat issue. The phone does not get hot if I use the charging cable.
Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Phones can get hot on any wireless charging device especially if the charger is not ventilated which is likely the case in the XC40. My iPhone XR gets noticeably warmer to the touch even with my phone case

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The larger the phone case, the longer those frequencies have to travel to charge your phone. Therefore more energy, therefore more thermal energy is discharged. If you have any sort of metal plate in your phone's case or your case is very thick, those may be things to consider discarding before continuing to charge your phone wireless.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Phones can get hot on any wireless charging device especially if the charger is not ventilated which is likely the case in the XC40. My iPhone XR gets noticeably warmer to the touch even with my phone case
My XR also gets warmer when I use the wireless charger but never hot, especially to the point that I cannot hold it...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
My XR also gets warmer when I use the wireless charger but never hot, especially to the point that I cannot hold it...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My wife's X gets hot, but makes sense since her case is a tad on the thick side.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have the leather case from Apple. I do not have the stick-on credit card holder on the back. I will take the case off and charge without to see if I get the same result. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Unfortunately, since I have to plug in for Apple Car Play I haven't used the charging pad at all.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unfortunately, since I have to plug in for Apple Car Play I haven't used the charging pad at all.
Yeah... Me too. I've heard other manufacturers have wireless CarPlay. Considering my phone is connected to the car's wi-fi I would expect it would support it. It's just a matter of Volvo putting the effort into it. Or is there more to it than that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts