SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting and owner of a new to me 2018 V90 T5 R Design. The snowpocolypse has pushed back the delivery date about a week or so which has given me time to look up some upgrades. First is finding a deal on a polestar tune!

After reviewing various threads, I wanted to gauge your longterm experience of some of these wireless chargers. Any issues with overheating, battery drain, etc? This one has come up a few times and like it bc it has cooling and usb outlets.

Also, there are several wireless careplay devices. Is there a go to unit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked up a version of this charger from a seller on eBay (at the time there were not many on Amazon and they were all way over priced): https://www.amazon.com/CAREUD-Wireless-Car-Charger-Accessories/dp/B08HMGH6L5

It's terrible and is no longer installed in my car. It was hard to get my phone (iPhone 11 pro at the time, I haven't tried it with my iPhone 12 pro and MagSafe) to actually charge on it and my phone would often move out of position so it no longer charged. It would also stop charging frequently even if the phone was perfectly positioned for no apparent reason. Speaking of charging, it didn't really provide enough power to actually increase the charge level on the phone while using wireless CarPlay through the phone. At the end of long trips, I'd have less power than I started the trip with (although the phone certainly had more power than if I wasn't charging at all.) I would not recommend this unit, and it seems like others on here have had similar issues with all the other units on the market. For now, I've given up on wireless charging in the Volvo and simply plug my phone in to wired CarPlay for longer trips.

For Wireless CarPlay, I went with this unit (somewhere on Swedespeed I read it was the newest hardware and had the least limitations): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086JN1SGX

I'd for sure recommend this as it's been nearly flawless. It works perfectly 98% of the time, but maybe 1 out of 50 startups it doesn't connect to my phone or Sensus doesn't recognize it. Simply unplugging and replugging in the unit solves that issue.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I've used a charger designed for desk use (with the base folded at a different angle) for several years now without issues. There is no cooling fan, but it doesn't seem to need one. Some phones are too wide to sit in this orientation though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Have you explored if the Volvo unit is sold to retrofit into your car? I was surprised our 2021 V90CC has a wireless charging station on the console. Never used one of these before. Very convenient.

·
Registered
229 Posts
For few months I had a desk one, similar to the one above, which worked perfectly.

But then I removed it because I found no real practical use for it.

On long trips I like to use Android auto which requires the phone to be connected via USB.
And for short trips I don't need a charger, my phone holds the charge well.
So no need for wireless charging until that day in future when Volvo may provide wireless Android auto.

For those with iPhone may be different.

2018 V90 CC T6 P*

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've found a dual usb charger that plugs into the 12 volt outlet to be a better solution. With two short (12") cords you can charge two phones at once. Just slip them into the net on the passenger side of the console where they will be held securely,

Some of these chargers are powerful enough for an iPad.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ordered Inner Center Console Storage Box Wireless Car Charger For Volvo XC90 2016-2020 20064204862 | eBay from eBay a while back. Very impressive packaging and fits well. Only real issue with it is you lose your front cup holder for anything larger than the smallest red bull cans. The charger itself works well and is quick for wireless. Also has 2 extra USB outputs if you needed to charge anything more.
That's a pretty slick looking insert. Hope it fits your needs.

Reactions: dnovak33510

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your replies! Really good ideas presented, each with their pluses and minuses. May try a cheap one to see how my phone fits and if I can live with a reduced cup holder size(caffeine addiction!).

Realized the car I have incoming has a 12volt plug in the rear center charger. My phone has a fast charger so can always plug it in for 15 min and be good to go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same model as well. What broke?
First the fan started to make noises....a little while later it gave an error...sometimes it starts charging without problem but after a while I see an orange led and hear a beep-sound....needles to say it stops working then

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I always plug my phone in for Android Auto and then stow it away inside the center console (because it is illegal to look at it while the ignition is in the on position anyway) so I never tried one of these.

As I see it it is better to have it completely out of sight so there is no temptation to pick it up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
For few months I had a desk one, similar to the one above, which worked perfectly.

But then I removed it because I found no real practical use for it.

On long trips I like to use Android auto which requires the phone to be connected via USB.
And for short trips I don't need a charger, my phone holds the charge well.
So no need for wireless charging until that day in future when Volvo may provide wireless Android auto.

For those with iPhone may be different.

2018 V90 CC T6 P*

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the wireless charger OP listed a while ago - directly from Taobao so it's roughly $60 without shipping for me. Overall it's doing pretty good and it doesn't interfere with key fob detection at all. My only complaint is the heating issue so I'm trying this one with a on/off switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the wireless charger OP listed a while ago - directly from Taobao so it's roughly $60 without shipping for me. Overall it's doing pretty good and it doesn't interfere with key fob detection at all. My only complaint is the heating issue so I'm trying this one with a on/off switch.
Keep us informed..maybe some pictures I'm curious about that one

·
Registered
24 Posts
Keep us informed..maybe some pictures I'm curious about that one
Fitment is ideal. It's nice that I can turn off the wireless charger, and it has a USB-C port. Took a 400 mile trip, the new one is definitely cooler than my old charger due to having more breathing room at the bottom.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Vehicle Car

My old one. This takes slightly more space than the new charger, making the first cupholder unusable. The 2 USB-A ports are hard to reach to and are impossible to use when cupholder is occupied. One good thing about the flat charger is that the cupholder door can be fully closed (like the OEM one in MY2021s).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts