SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It is very cool, and when Apple Car play is wireless I’ll get one. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. But I had my phone on the air vent. Which blocked the flow so I start right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
What is the make/model of that charger? Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Jema69 - Please share the manufacturer and model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Search for xc90 wireless charger on eBay or AliExpress. They ain't cheap.. cheapest one I've seen is $85

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same one! I took the rubber grip off mine, as I preferred the asthetic and found that my iPhone with silicone case didn't slide around.

Wasn't cheap... but am delighted with it! I've left a mini review on these forums in case anyone is interested... probably still kicking around if you search for it

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
looks like there are 2 types right now, one using the 12v cig lighter, the other one you have to hardwire in (which obviously is better). The plug-in version is about $95 from ali, the hardwire version is $70 shipped via aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_52

2 brands only, probably from the same factory in China. My only problem with either solution is you can't see google maps when the phone's flat on the console...

·
Registered
3 Posts
looks like there are 2 types right now, one using the 12v cig lighter, the other one you have to hardwire in (which obviously is better). The plug-in version is about $95 from ali, the hardwire version is $70 shipped via aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_8,searchweb201603_52

2 brands only, probably from the same factory in China. My only problem with either solution is you can't see google maps when the phone's flat on the console...
Does the hardwired one provide more power & faster charging? Where do you hardwire it in to? Was looking at getting the cig lighter version but trying to figure out why the hardwire one would be that much better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went with this style of wireless charger instead. I like it standing up to be a little more visible while driving. Plus it doesn't block the first cup holder at all. Only $20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like this a lot. Does it fit in the storage space just above the cup holder where the cigarette lighter is? Or did you have to put it somewhere else? Also, link to purchase?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't understand. What's "wireless" about having to plug a "wireless" charger into the cigarette lighter? Aren't you just trading a wire from your phone to a wire from your charger? Also, it must look like crap. The hardwire option seems like even more of a trade-off. Where do you put your coffee?

Also, Android Auto puts google maps on your 9" screen, so why would you need to see it on your phone? You shouldn't need access to your phone while you are driving, that's why plugging it in and stowing it out of sight is the better option. The only improvement I would ask for is fast-charging capability.

I have a wireless charger built in to my desk lamp, and it makes sense because I can quickly pick up my phone when it rings. But, in the car it's all hands-free already.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't understand. What's "wireless" about having to plug a "wireless" charger into the cigarette lighter? Aren't you just trading a wire from your phone to a wire from your charger? Also, it must look like crap. The hardwire option seems like even more of a trade-off. Where do you put your coffee?

Also, Android Auto puts google maps on your 9" screen, so why would you need to see it on your phone? You shouldn't need access to your phone while you are driving, that's why plugging it in and stowing it out of sight is the better option. The only improvement I would ask for is fast-charging capability.

I have a wireless charger built in to my desk lamp, and it makes sense because I can quickly pick up my phone when it rings. But, in the car it's all hands-free already.
You're correct. Until I can leave my phone in my pocket and have it charge from my body heat, nothing is truly "wireless". Connectors and cables wear out from frequent use. Setting a device down on a charging pad does not. I personally don't use Android Auto very often, so simply charging my phone, this is a better solution. 9/10 when I do use Android Auto, I forget my phone in the car because it is out of sight.

Everyone has solutions that work best for them. For me, this is it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts