·
Registered
1,317 Posts
No

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
One option in wished it had with wireless charging for me wireless charging available on the modes is useless without it

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got the carplay2air adapter. when it works it's great, when it doesn't I have to unplug it and plugin it back in which is frustrating. I'm hoping they do a v3 firmware to help fix the defects. Their CS is not great.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've got the carplay2air adapter. when it works it's great, when it doesn't I have to unplug it and plugin it back in which is frustrating. I'm hoping they do a v3 firmware to help fix the defects. Their CS is not great.
I was just about to ask if anyone got one thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
These dongles suck. Nearly ~40 seconds to connect every single time you disconnect. Carplay itself is not bug-free and when there are issues, constant re-connecting / crashing can be very frustrating and outright dangerous unplug + replugging the USB connection in the center console while driving to reset.

I have adopted a much better solution -- get one of these magnetic lightning cables. You'll be much happier and if you're using an iphone case you'll barely notice the stub.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
These dongles suck. Nearly ~40 seconds to connect every single time you disconnect. Carplay itself is not bug-free and when there are issues, constant re-connecting / crashing can be very frustrating and outright dangerous unplug + replugging the USB connection in the center console while driving to reset.

I have adopted a much better solution -- get one of these magnetic lightning cables. You'll be much happier and if you're using an iphone case you'll barely notice the stub.
Which one you got? I got one back in the day but it also keeps unplugging when driving

·
Registered
78 Posts

It really seems to depend upon the car. I know some who have carplay2air and with firmware v2 it was solid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the one I linked above, with USB-c port on dongle..I use it every day, latest firmware has reduced startup somewhat. By the time I open the car, sit down and have reversed out the system is more than ready to go so I never notice the startup much except when switching between wife’s and my phone sometimes.
Only once in the past month did the connection struggle at start, so restarted then it was fine. But it works great and many others I know that use it love it as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which one you got? I got one back in the day but it also keeps unplugging when driving
Carlinkit 2.0 with USB-C.

IMO there really are only 3 distinct devices for this, which are all Chinese OEM. Two are a version 1.0 and 2.0 which has UI that look the same. Cplay2air is just a branded version of the 1.0 device which has the fixed USB cable. P.S. save your money and buy the exact same device sans branding for $50 USD on Aliexpress.

There is also a 3rd device called JoyeAuto but reviews seem to say it's about the same.

Before you drop $100+ on any of these, check the reviews on YouTube - they all perform similarly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mpby2UK9K4

As I said Carplay itself is still buggy (I still get crashes once in a while while corded in). So those who have 'good' experience are using different apps than I. I had the biggest problem with the Apple Podcast app so switched over to Google Podcast which seems to work better. GMaps, Music (iTunes) usually don't give much grief.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

IMO there really are only 3 distinct devices for this, which are all Chinese OEM. Two are a version 1.0 and 2.0 which has UI that look the same. Cplay2air is just a branded version of the 1.0 device which has the fixed USB cable. P.S. save your money and buy the exact same device sans branding for $50 USD on Aliexpress.

There is also a 3rd device called JoyeAuto but reviews seem to say it's about the same.

Before you drop $100+ on any of these, check the reviews on YouTube - they all perform similarly.

As I said Carplay itself is still buggy (I still get crashes once in a while while corded in). So those who have 'good' experience are using different apps than I. I had the biggest problem with the Apple Podcast app so switched over to Google Podcast which seems to work better. GMaps, Music (iTunes) usually don't give much grief.
Thanks I’m just gone go with the magnet 🧲 connectors !

Thanks again

·
Registered
44 Posts

I experience connectivity issues every now and then, but a simple unplug seems to be the perfect fit. The start up is about 30 seconds or so, but in the long run not a big deal. Having the ability to utilize Carplay wirelessly is well worth it. Makes you wonder why car makers aren't rushing to make this a standard approach.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I experience connectivity issues every now and then, but a simple unplug seems to be the perfect fit. The start up is about 30 seconds or so, but in the long run not a big deal. Having the ability to utilize Carplay wirelessly is well worth it. Makes you wonder why car makers aren't rushing to make this a standard approach.
BMW have had it since late 2016 - I had it on my previous car. I think you can get the new golf with it too although you’re right it’s not common for some odd reason.

What I find weird about Volvos implementation is that it’s so unreliable on a cable! On the BMW over the 3 1/2 years we had it the only time I had issues with connection was after every full iOS version update where both me and my partner would have to repair our iPhones.

On the V60 it’s far less reliable even with the myriad of cables we’ve tried.

The Audible app crashes on both reassuringly though...

·
Registered
62 Posts
As mentioned above.. using Spotify and gmaps pretty much only, it’s had connection troubles only once really in nearly 2 months now that required a unplug-plug in and then fine

·
Registered
78 Posts
Carplay itself is pretty good, it tends to have lots of issues on the x.0 or x.0.1 release every year.

I just got an email over the weekend that carplay2air has a new firmware update for the wireless adapter. I'll give that a try sometime this week to see if it helps or not with reliability.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I too have the carlinkit and I wouldn’t trade it for any wired solution. As has been already said, I too sometimes have connection issues but it’s rare, most of the time it works and fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Where do you see it for $50? Any chance you have a link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts