SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks - the reason I suspect it doesn’t as I’m not sure how you would switch phones.
My guess is that Volvo would never bother to implement that feature as you do it by changing physical usb “connections”.
It’s such a shame it’s not integrated.
What? Of course you can.
You only have one usb for carplay though, therefore you need to remove phone 1 before connecting phone 2.
As regards the connection, most of the guys who bought this device had loads of issues for first connecting/pairing, but I think pass that all goes smooth.
Wireless CarPlay surfaced early 2016, from random Chinese suppliers but there were various problems due to the digital signatures and all that Apple is famous for.
BMW was the first car manufacturer to implement wireless CarPlay support in their 2017 model and shortly after MB followed.

Me personally, am happy and satisfied that I have CarPlay in my car. I don't mind a small movement of connecting a lightning cable as much as I don't mind selecting Individual Mode.
An interesting question that just popped up in my head is how much power (battery drain) does Wireless CarPlay require.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi - I have the adapter on my XC60 and use it with two iPhones. It generally will connect with the last phone used. There is a splash screen that appears as it boots up that shows both phones that in will sometimes allow you to select the other phone but it seems VERY temperamental. If you miss that window at boot up there is no way (that I have found) to disconnect the last used phone and switch to the other. If I know I want to connect the phone that wasn’t the last one used I find it easiest to switch the last phone connected to airplane mode while the system boots up. That way it can’t find the last connected phone and goes hunting for the other phone. It’s a bit clunky but it is an ok workaround.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for replying - I think this answers my query. I suspect in my usage profile which is almost 100% of the time me driving the car and using CarPlay but often with my S/O in the car too with her only using CarPlay when she’s used the car on her own (I almost always drive if we’re both in the car) would mean I’d need to have me on wireless and just unplug the adaptor when she’s wanting to use CarPlay.

She’s not going to be impressed ;)

What? Of course you can.
You only have one usb for carplay though, therefore you need to remove phone 1 before connecting phone 2.
As regards the connection, most of the guys who bought this device had loads of issues for first connecting/pairing, but I think pass that all goes smooth.
Wireless CarPlay surfaced early 2016, from random Chinese suppliers but there were various problems due to the digital signatures and all that Apple is famous for.
BMW was the first car manufacturer to implement wireless CarPlay support in their 2017 model and shortly after MB followed.

Me personally, am happy and satisfied that I have CarPlay in my car. I don't mind a small movement of connecting a lightning cable as much as I don't mind selecting Individual Mode.
An interesting question that just popped up in my head is how much power (battery drain) does Wireless CarPlay require.
I’ve had wireless CarPlay for the last 3 and a bit years on my 2016 BMW X3 (F25LCI), I’ve not noticed a huge battery drain on my iPhone 8 to be honest, yes it does use the battery but it doesn’t hammer it even on very long journeys, or at least no more than playing music over bluetooth.

The way I usually use my car is (ignoring the pandemic) is a lot of short journeys to and from shops and driving to and from work so constantly plugging and unplugging the phone is annoying. Also in the UK even handling your phone on the road whilst the engine is running (even if stopped with the handbrake on) is a massive no no, you’ll get a £200-£1000 fine and 6 points on your license for 3 years (12 points and you’re supposed to be automatically disqualified) and your next few years insurance will go sky high (they ask about driving convictions for usually 5 years here). This means if you forget to plug your phone in you have to pull over and stop the car to plug it in which sometimes isn’t the easiest.

1st world problem but it feels like a massive backwards step in the new and shiny V60 versus my “old” X3.

Not that anyone will be interested - but just incase, UK mobile phone use law...
https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

·
Registered
572 Posts
The way I usually use my car is (ignoring the pandemic) is a lot of short journeys to and from shops and driving to and from work so constantly plugging and unplugging the phone is annoying. Also in the UK even handling your phone on the road whilst the engine is running (even if stopped with the handbrake on) is a massive no no, you’ll get a £200-£1000 fine and 6 points on your license for 3 years (12 points and you’re supposed to be automatically disqualified) and your next few years insurance will go sky high (they ask about driving convictions for usually 5 years here). This means if you forget to plug your phone in you have to pull over and stop the car to plug it in which sometimes isn’t the easiest.

1st world problem but it feels like a massive backwards step in the new and shiny V60 versus my “old” X3.

Not that anyone will be interested - but just incase, UK mobile phone use law...
https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
I'm interested. Also thank you for the clarifications regarding the wireless carplay bat drain.
I've read somewhere in the past (mid 00's) that one of the reasonings why the usb ports in Volvo's were in the glovebox and not in front dash or on the radio was because devices should not distract the driver. Basically what we may consider 1st world problem, Volvo translates it as safety feature. AFAIK this has changed with the XC40, but the XC60 still has them in the glovebox (not sure about the V series).

Anyway having said that, I'm quite happy with this atm, not sure if you'd like it but maybe you're interested.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you are buying the wireless carplay unit make sure you get the USB-C one from Carlinkit it supports ALL the sensus functions. The original unit doesnt allow answering/ending from the steering wheel and gives no info in the dash or HUD

I bought mine vis AliExpress with DHL shipping.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are buying the wireless carplay unit make sure you get the USB-C one from Carlinkit it supports ALL the sensus functions. The original unit doesnt allow answering/ending from the steering wheel and gives no info in the dash or HUD

I bought mine vis AliExpress with DHL shipping.
by USB C do you mean one that is like this? It looks different than the one offered on CarPlay2Air

https://www.amazon.ca/Carlinkit-Wir...85031172110eb4b8abf55d290dfb92&language=en_CA

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Carplay2Air adapter and had good luck with it in my Kia Optima. It worked fine in the Volvo but then started getting wonky. I \mailed it back as it was still under warranty, as I thought the issei's was a short in the unit, as it would periodically reboot.

Received the replacement unit, and it won't even connect. Contacted the company (they're in China of course) and requested a replacement. They insist on me mailing the defective unit back again (at a cost of around $40 US). I respectfully pushed back, and even sent them a video of the unit not working, so they wouldn't think I was trying to scam them out of a new unit for free.

Unfortunately, they will not budge on me returning the defective unit.

SO I really do not recommend CarPlay2Air until they get a US distributor, OR you live in China!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good day!

The CarPlay2Air adapter apparently does not work on the 2020 XC40.

I ordered the adapter. The XC40 does not recognize it. Tech Support worked with me patiently and extensively before telling me to return the adapter back to them in China. Suspecting a bad unit, I popped it in my 2005 Ford van, and it worked flawlessly.

KJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
FWIW I tried the carplay2air.com one on my old Mazda CX5 and couldn't get it to work. I returned it and bought the Carlink one one which was reported to work here and it also did not work on my CX5. Notably I actually got the one labeled "white, for factory car" and not the one labeled "for Volvo". No idea what the difference is.

Fast forward, I now have my 2021 XC60 Recharge and the Carlinkit one works absolutely flawlessly. I'd managed to pair it on my old CX5 but could never get it working, when I plugged it in to the Volvo and turned on the car my phone just automatically connected from the previous pairing and has worked perfectly ever since. Combined with the wireless charging in the '21, I'm very happy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good day!

The CarPlay2Air adapter apparently does not work on the 2020 XC40.

I ordered the adapter. The XC40 does not recognize it. Tech Support worked with me patiently and extensively before telling me to return the adapter back to them in China. Suspecting a bad unit, I popped it in my 2005 Ford van, and it worked flawlessly.

KJ
It works in my 2020 XC60, and it’s the same Sensus unit I believe, so there’s no reason it shouldn’t work.

That being said, I have one, and it does work, but only after returning it twice to China (at my expense, $35 each time), so there can be issues with them.

While I love mine, I cannot recommend them wholeheartedly until they get a US distributor for returns. My $160 initial expense is now up to $230 due to having to return it twice. No amount of pleading or reasoning with them would get them out of requiring the 2nd return. I even offered to FaceTime with them and allow them to watch me destroy the unit, to prove I wasn’t scamming them, but they wouldn’t budge.

·
Registered
572 Posts
probably different protocols, that's why.
also bear in mind the iOS13 to 14 switch that break numerous uncertified accessories, such as these.
back in 2009 thousands of lightning cables were not working when a new iOS was released.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Similar to @Blackjackmark, my carplay2air adapter worked fine in my 2020 XC60 -- with iOS 13, iOS 14 and the latest 14.0.1. carplay2air uses Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, so possible issues with "certified/uncertified (hardwired) accessories" is not applicable here.

That being said, my 10-month old carplay2air adapter failed 2 weeks ago when I attempted to do an update of it's firmware using the standard carplay2air in-car WWW process. After getting a special download and manual process to try installing new firmware on the adapter, that too failed. The adapter is now traveling in China for a replacement. As much as I LOVE having wireless CarPlay, spending 25% of it's price to return it, then waiting weeks to travel back-and-forth between countries, is not something I can live with if it happens a second time. I too have stopped recommending this adapter --and all of the many other variants with different names screened onto what appears to be the same dongle-- until there is a US distributor.

While I wait for a replacement, I'm sadly back to using a lightning cable with my iPhone 11 Pro and iOS 14.0.1 without any CarPlay problems whatsoever. It's just a relative pain for me to remove my phone from my front pocket and plug it in/out every time I get in/out of my car, especially when I do short errands with multiple stops most days. Built-in wireless CarPlay will be a base requirement of my next ride, so I don't have to deal with aftermarket hacks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
While I wait for a replacement, I'm sadly back to using a lightning cable with my iPhone 11 Pro and iOS 14.0.1 without any CarPlay problems whatsoever. It's just a relative pain for me to remove my phone from my front pocket and plug it in/out every time I get in/out of my car, especially when I do short errands with multiple stops most days. Built-in wireless CarPlay will be a base requirement of my next ride, so I don't have to deal with aftermarket hacks.
I feel you. I actually cross-shopped with that is a requirement but ended up weighing other elements more highly but ultimately my bigger frustration is no vendor supporting Google Maps + CarPlay + HUD. The Sensus navigation is nowhere near as good as Google maps but I've found myself using it more and more because it shows up on the HUD and on the 12" gauge display. It's unfortunate but it's workable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has anyone tweaked any of the settings for the Cplay2Air device, such as sync or media delay?

When listening to Pandora or using the iPhone's Music app, each time a song ends and a new one starts, the song plays for about second then restarts. I haven't found any documentation on what the settings are meant to do, but because my Cplay2Air device has been so hit or miss and I finally have it working, I'm hesitant to mess with any setting that I don't know explicitly what they mean.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone tweaked any of the settings for the Cplay2Air device, such as sync or media delay?

When listening to Pandora or using the iPhone's Music app, each time a song ends and a new one starts, the song plays for about second then restarts. I haven't found any documentation on what the settings are meant to do, but because my Cplay2Air device has been so hit or miss and I finally have it working, I'm hesitant to mess with any setting that I don't know explicitly what they mean.

Thanks!
What settings? I see no settings on mine. Once it connects, then it’s Carplay. No interface for settings for the adapter.

If you’re getting into some sort of pre-menu, then you’re on your own. :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
What settings? I see no settings on mine. Once it connects, then it’s Carplay. No interface for settings for the adapter.

If you’re getting into some sort of pre-menu, then you’re on your own. :confused:
When connected to the device, use Safari on your phone to navigate to the CPlay2Air Firmware Update Page (http://192.168.50.2) and click the white button next to Check for Updates. Depending on your device's firmware, the screen you see may look different.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts