SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had my iPhone forget my home network and confirmed that I was connected ONLY to 4G LTE and tried to connect again. It still gets to the Connecting... message and no further. I also tried updating the firmware using the link you provided (thanks for the instructions and url) but never had both red and blue LEDs lit, waited for 10 minutes to be sure. Any other ideas?
Worst case, contact the mfgr. I suspect you have been receiving emails from them with instructions such as what @volvobuff provided. The last couple emails (12/9) I received while my unit was in transit prior to delivery earlier this week had the detailed instructions you need to follow and essentially said if all else fails, you can return the unit, they will send you one that has the current level of more easily updated firmware, or you can request a refund. I followed those instructions to the letter and while it was a little wonky (translation issues, I suspect), I had no significant problems doing the update of the adapter first in my home with a USB stick and direct-to-110V USB charger, then the initial connection in the cockpit to my new XC60 in the garage — didn’t have the “...Connecting” problem you are encountering (that email I reference says it was happening on Honda/Jeep, and to go through the install process to the letter again), so perhaps something has happened to your unit when you were doing some of the steps outside the car...

If I were you, I’d try the steps 100% to the letter again as outlined in the instructions provided, and if that fails, contact the mfgr to get your unit returned and a new one sent so you know where you are in the process. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I had my iPhone forget my home network and confirmed that I was connected ONLY to 4G LTE and tried to connect again.
Just to be clear, the phone must be connected simultaneously to 4G LTE OTA and to the adapter via wi-fi. Try forgetting Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and LTE and resynching all three. Rebooting iPhone first never hurts.

It still gets to the Connecting... message and no further. I also tried updating the firmware using the link you provided (thanks for the instructions and url) but never had both red and blue LEDs lit, waited for 10 minutes to be sure. Any other ideas?
If you don't get both red and blue LEDs lit, your adapter didn't update to current firmware. Make certain your USB thumb drive is naked and clean as a whistle with no debris (hidden backup or system files) and formatted to FAT 32. If still no go, try one or more other USB thumb drives. Some users had to try several before they found one that worked properly. Before installing firmware on adapter, make certain USB thumb drive is connected directly to a USB power only single source from 110V brick, not to an in-car or other indirect power source. Download update file to desktop, then drag to USB thumb drive to install. Dismount USB drive before removing from computer. Work slowly and deliberately. If still only red LED on adapter, you have somehow fried the adapter. Trying to update and install from another vehicle may or may not work. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m starting to think the reason so many are upset and even calling their website a scam deals with how flaky the setup process is. Seems like the success rate is very low. Congrats to all of you who got it to work.

I emailed the manufacturer. I forgot to mention that I reset my phone several times through this process just in case.

Removing my phone entry from the adapter (long press on the phone entry and then clicking Delete) rarely worked either. Frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m starting to think the reason so many are upset and even calling their website a scam deals with how flaky the setup process is. Seems like the success rate is very low. Congrats to all of you who got it to work.

I emailed the manufacturer. I forgot to mention that I reset my phone several times through this process just in case.

Removing my phone entry from the adapter (long press on the phone entry and then clicking Delete) rarely worked either. Frustrating.

Try the following, I was in a similar situation with a 2018 XC60 (stuck at the connecting screen) and this resolved my issues. I cobbled it together on my own plus from some posts on the Macrumors forum.

1. Connect to the whatever bluetooth device name it is broadcasting. Then look for available wifi networks. I found one that was listed as Volkswagen28, but there were no other cars remotely close enough to be emitting this signal. Your wifi network may appear differently, but for now it seems as though its broadcasting the wrong Wifi SSID for volvo. After the pairing process completes it will appear as a Volvo related SSID.
2. I connected to it with the wireless password: 12345678 (found in a video on how to perform updates to the device).
3. Then launch a browser and connect to 192.168.50.2 and apply whatever updates are available.
4. After this it should connect normally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You know, I recall seeing a VW-related SSID when I was looking for available networks (as part of the debug) but discounted it thinking surely it couldn’t be related. I’ll try that tomorrow morning and report back. Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Trying to get it working on my 2017 XC90 but it never connects. The Bluetooth device says N/A-9354 and seems to connect on my iPhone because it asks for permissions to access contacts and connect to CarPlay but the screen on Sensus keeps saying Connecting when trying to connect to my iPhone... Any suggestions?

People have talked about “mode 3” on other forums but I can’t figure out how to pick.

Update instructions posted above. Don’t be surprised if you have to try a few usb sticks to get it to work. I had to try 7

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Update instructions posted above. Don’t be surprised if you have to try a few usb sticks to get it to work. I had to try 7
I'm not sure it will help, but originally I was replying 'no' when it asked to sync contacts, and then I had real trouble getting it to connect. I did forget device on my phone bluetooth settings and then also removed the phone from the list that pops up on the CarPlay screen by holding for a few seconds then selecting 'delete'. After that I re-paired and selected 'yes' to sync contacts and after that it's been connecting pretty much flawlessly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not sure it will help, but originally I was replying 'no' when it asked to sync contacts, and then I had real trouble getting it to connect. I did forget device on my phone bluetooth settings and then also removed the phone from the list that pops up on the CarPlay screen by holding for a few seconds then selecting 'delete'. After that I re-paired and selected 'yes' to sync contacts and after that it's been connecting pretty much flawlessly.
I don’t remember having to sync contacts but I am pleased you have it working now. I have unpaired my phone with the car, this is the recommended approach so the phone doesn’t try to connect to the dongle and the car too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try the following, I was in a similar situation with a 2018 XC60 (stuck at the connecting screen) and this resolved my issues. I cobbled it together on my own plus from some posts on the Macrumors forum.

1. Connect to the whatever bluetooth device name it is broadcasting. Then look for available wifi networks. I found one that was listed as Volkswagen28, but there were no other cars remotely close enough to be emitting this signal. Your wifi network may appear differently, but for now it seems as though its broadcasting the wrong Wifi SSID for volvo. After the pairing process completes it will appear as a Volvo related SSID.
2. I connected to it with the wireless password: 12345678 (found in a video on how to perform updates to the device).
3. Then launch a browser and connect to 192.168.50.2 and apply whatever updates are available.
4. After this it should connect normally.
That did it! Thank you to all who provided guidance, you all ROCK! Interesting side note, the original bluetooth label of N/A-3243 changed to VOLVO-8654 (numbers might be incorrect but you get the idea) after I updated the firmware. In summary, after being able to successfully connect to bluetooth but unable to proceed any further (stuck at the Connecting... screen), the thing that ended up working was to open the WiFi setting on my iPhone and locate the "VOLKSWAGON87" SSID (name may vary) and connect to it with password '12345678'. I had to unplug/re-insert the CarPlay2Air adapter once or twice and forget this network at least once before getting it to eventually connect. Once it did connect, I then visited 192.168.50.2 and applied whatever updates were available. It did its thing and eventually connected automatically.

Hopefully future releases will work out all of this flaky behavior but I'm happy for now. FWIW, I am using the PITAKA magnetic Qi charger for my iPhone mount in my Volvo. It does require a PITAKA magnetic iPhone case as well but it is very thin and stylish IMO. Combined with the now Wireless CarPlay this is a very nice solution.

Thanks again everybody.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That did it! Thank you to all who provided guidance, you all ROCK! Interesting side note, the original bluetooth label of N/A-3243 changed to VOLVO-8654 (numbers might be incorrect but you get the idea) after I updated the firmware. In summary, after being able to successfully connect to bluetooth but unable to proceed any further (stuck at the Connecting... screen), the thing that ended up working was to open the WiFi setting on my iPhone and locate the "VOLKSWAGON87" SSID (name may vary) and connect to it with password '12345678'. I had to unplug/re-insert the CarPlay2Air adapter once or twice and forget this network at least once before getting it to eventually connect. Once it did connect, I then visited 192.168.50.2 and applied whatever updates were available. It did its thing and eventually connected automatically.

Hopefully future releases will work out all of this flaky behavior but I'm happy for now. FWIW, I am using the PITAKA magnetic Qi charger for my iPhone mount in my Volvo. It does require a PITAKA magnetic iPhone case as well but it is very thin and stylish IMO. Combined with the now Wireless CarPlay this is a very nice solution.

Thanks again everybody.
Check regularly (i do it daily) as they are making regular firmware tweaks. The one I’m working on with them is getting the steering wheel buttons and in dash feedback working as it should.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Degg, does it work with the second monitor (driver dial monitor) as well?
also does anyone know when will google maps support the second monitor ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
No, nothing shows in the dash or the HUD (yet)
Really? I get music info and album art in the dash when I have selected that to be displayed in the Sensus settings (as opposed to navigation, etc.). Only trouble is it doesn't always update; I have reported this to the developers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Really? I get music info and album art in the dash when I have selected that to be displayed in the Sensus settings (as opposed to navigation, etc.). Only trouble is it doesn't always update; I have reported this to the developers.
Oh haven’t really seen that as I always have the map up. I meant the info on phone calls.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I’m talking about navigation on the second screen. Navigation on carplay second monitor doesnt work with google maps or waze. I dont know apple maps cause directions are not supported.

Music/media works fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only one issue with it failing to connect so far. Most of the time it connects automatically as expected but there was one instance where I had to disconnect/reconnect. That was the only case where I would've been already connected to my home wifi. All other cases I was away from home and, thus, only connected to LTE. Due to the use of WiFi to drive the CarPlay screen, I wonder if me being connected to home WiFi is what caused the issue?

I asked the developer about this and they responded: “Yes, probably. You need to forget your home wifi so that it will not automatically connect when you're at home or near the home wifi.”

Forget my home WiFi? That doesn’t seem like a reasonable solution. I looked into shortcuts for possibly disconnecting from specific SSIDs when Bluetooth connects but nothing exists.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Only one issue with it failing to connect so far. Most of the time it connects automatically as expected but there was one instance where I had to disconnect/reconnect. That was the only case where I would've been already connected to my home wifi. All other cases I was away from home and, thus, only connected to LTE. Due to the use of WiFi to drive the CarPlay screen, I wonder if me being connected to home WiFi is what caused the issue?

I asked the developer about this and they responded: “Yes, probably. You need to forget your home wifi so that it will not automatically connect when you're at home or near the home wifi.”

Forget my home WiFi? That doesn’t seem like a reasonable solution. I looked into shortcuts for possibly disconnecting from specific SSIDs when Bluetooth connects but nothing exists.

I agree with you. It's impractical to remove my home WiFi from my iPhone just to have a more perfect experience with the adapter in the car. I won't do that.

Like you, I've had the auto connect failure only once in the few days I've owned the adapter. I can put up with lower frequency issues like this, for the exceptional convenience I receive with wireless CarPlay the rest of the time. What really did improve my experience was when I unpaired my phone Bluetooth from Sensus, which eliminated the extra confirmation screen, and got rid of anomalies I encountered a couple times where the adapter connectivity logic between WiFi/Bluetooth seemed to go wonky -- thanks to you and others in this thread for triggering that thought, as I had not caught on to it via original developer email instructions how to get the adapter updated/installed, or gone back to read the FAQs again since early last month before and right after I ordered.

FWIW, After a few days of the adapter working fairly well, I read here about a new update being out yesterday, so I gave it a try -- While parked, I just connected as normal, then using my iPhone went to the IP address (which I have since bookmarked). The update worked first time and was very smooth, so it appears the developer is making progress with refinements. Not that there are any of what I'd consider major issues for me with CARPLAY2air today, but I can put up with a few little oddities in an otherwise good experience for some time, when I see progress and know the developer is working to continually improve what I've purchased. I'll just try to remember to check that IP address every now and again when I'm in my car. Instead, I'll be honest and say I'll more likely just keep an eye on this thread for when someone reports a new release is out. :) TU in advance, everyone!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wish they would post when firmware updates are available and the change log on their site.

61 - 80 of 137 Posts