SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think D3ggy and I are answering the same questions. My answers are for the wireless CarPlay adapter. I think D3ggy is talking about the Android auto module. As for me I have the Harmon Kardon system that is now standard in the Inscription 2019.
No I too am talking about the CarPlay adapter

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just wish that they would make the new Android/Google system work with our existing cars, but I highly doubt we will ever see that outside of new 21 models or Polestar 2's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ordered the CarPlay2Air dongle, ships from Hong Kong so I won't have it for a while.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
FWIIW: I just received a CARPLAY2Air dongle and took it out for a spin. Initial reactions:

1. Apple Maps works just fine.

2. Dongle will play music stored on iPhone running 13.3 but it will not play streamed Apple Music Library items from the cloud. The titles and tracks are all there, but no audio. If they can't resolve this issue ASAP, the dongle goes back to its maker.

3. As has been stated elsewhere, album art is not displayed. I can live without this feature for the time being, but it would be nice to have eventually if the developer can get this issue sorted out.

4. Audio quality is definitely degraded compared to a wired connection. There is a fair amount of distortion. Hopefully they will get this issue sorted out as well.

5. I actually ordered two of these dongles: the first one was ordered with standard shipping (i.e. via the postal system) and three weeks later it still hasn't arrived in the US. A second sample was ordered with expedited shipping via DHL, and that one arrived very promptly in five days. Moral: with shipping, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Audio quality is extremely important to me...... I really like the practicality of this, but will only give it a try if they are able to clean that up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The carplay2air unit works well and there is a software update out for it.

Connects quickly, I get album art too.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Does anyone know if the hardware for the Carplay2air is the same as the cheaper Carlinkit selling on Amazon for $65?

Biggest difference obviously is that the cheaper version says it is only for Android based head units requiring a native apk to be run, and the Carplay2air does not.

The hardware appears to be the same based on the part number and the design of the case. I’m wondering if the only difference is a firmware update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I've been having some connectivity stability issues and performance issues (when scrolling the map) and a few other more minor issues since updating. Waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. I'm not sure I'd recommend upgrading yet for those who haven't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Does anyone know if the hardware for the Carplay2air is the same as the cheaper Carlinkit selling on Amazon for $65?

Biggest difference obviously is that the cheaper version says it is only for Android based head units requiring a native apk to be run, and the Carplay2air does not.

The hardware appears to be the same based on the part number and the design of the case. I’m wondering if the only difference is a firmware update.

I got the impression they were completely different things. I think the Carlinkit is for adding CarPlay to regular Android units that don't have it. I do not think it will work with the Volvo.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Agreed. That’s how it’s marketed at least.

The box with the lights on it looks the same though. What remains a mystery is how the firmware updates work that may unlock that feature without the need for an Android aftermarket head unit and whether the hardware would support “upgrading” to the full features of a Car2airplay kit.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Updates and corrections to my first impressions. I have since upgraded the firmware and the adapter works for the most part just fine now.

FWIIW: I just received a CARPLAY2Air dongle and took it out for a spin. Initial reactions:

1. Apple Maps works just fine.
Ditto.

2. Dongle will play music stored on iPhone running 13.3 but it will not play streamed Apple Music Library items from the cloud. The titles and tracks are all there, but no audio. If they can't resolve this issue ASAP, the dongle goes back to its maker.
Correction: the dongle plays streamed music. but only if 4G LTE is used to access the music. IOW, this is really only feasible if one has an unlimited cellular data plan. Not to belabor the obvious, but it is expensive to have both an AT&T unlimited data plan for Sensus plus an unlimited Verizon data plan for the iPhone. Going forward, I will either lose the AT&T plan and feed Sensus from the phone's wi-fi hotspot or else just use a wired connection when I want to access my streamed music library on longer trips.

3. As has been stated elsewhere, album art is not displayed. I can live without this feature for the time being, but it would be nice to have eventually if the developer can get this issue sorted out.
This issue sorted itself out, and album art is displayed for both stored and streamed music.

4. Audio quality is definitely degraded compared to a wired connection. There is a fair amount of distortion. Hopefully they will get this issue sorted out as well.
This issue was resolved with subsequent firmware upgrades and audio quality is now perfectly acceptable.

5. I actually ordered two of these dongles: the first one was ordered with standard shipping (i.e. via the postal system) and three weeks later it still hasn't arrived in the US. A second sample was ordered with expedited shipping via DHL, and that one arrived very promptly in five days. Moral: with shipping, you get what you pay for.
Still no progress on the lost dongle. It was ordered over a month ago, left China a week later, and disappeared off the radar for three weeks. A few days ago, it resurfaced in Italy, first in Milan and currently in Florence. I have no idea WTF is going on, but I have little faith in the Italian Postal System based on previous experience. Hopefully it will eventually find its way to the US. :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ordered mine 12/9...it surfaced in China on Dec 11 and no updates since :(

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I ordered mine 12/9...it surfaced in China on Dec 11 and no updates since :(
I hear that Florence is lovely this time of year... :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
The carplay2air unit works well and there is a software update out for it.

Connects quickly, I get album art too.

Trying to get it working on my 2017 XC90 but it never connects. The Bluetooth device says N/A-9354 and seems to connect on my iPhone because it asks for permissions to access contacts and connect to CarPlay but the screen on Sensus keeps saying Connecting when trying to connect to my iPhone... Any suggestions?

People have talked about “mode 3” on other forums but I can’t figure out how to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I hear that Florence is lovely this time of year... :D
Update: I mistakenly thought my adapter had been shipped to Italy, because the vendor sent me an incorrect tracking number. My adapter shortly thereafter showed up here with a completely different tracking number. It did take over a month to reach me with Standard shipping via the postal system. I strongly recommend spending the additional $10 for Express shipping via DHL, which takes just 5 days. IAE, "all's well that ends well."

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Trying to get it working on my 2017 XC90 but it never connects. The Bluetooth device says N/A-9354 and seems to connect on my iPhone because it asks for permissions to access contacts and connect to CarPlay but the screen on Sensus keeps saying Connecting when trying to connect to my iPhone... Any suggestions?

People have talked about “mode 3” on other forums but I can’t figure out how to pick.
Mode 3 is an artifact from the much earlier 11.11 firmware version. If you have already updated your adapter via USB, the old Mode settings are no longer accessible or relevant.

It sounds like your iPhone is not able to access the Internet. It needs to use 4G LTE for that purpose, as the wi-fi connection is taken up by the adapter. If 4G LTE is active, you can use your browser to log onto 192.168.50.2, which will install the most recent firmware on the adapter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mode 3 is an artifact from the much earlier 11.11 firmware version. If you have already updated your adapter via USB, the old Mode settings are no longer accessible or relevant.

It sounds like your iPhone is not able to access the Internet. It needs to use 4G LTE for that purpose, as the wi-fi connection is taken up by the adapter. If 4G LTE is active, you can use your browser to log onto 192.168.50.2, which will install the most recent firmware on the adapter.
How does a person update the adapter via USB? I was connected to my home network via Wifi while trying to get this to work. Is that a bad idea? I have LTE service in my garage as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
How does a person update the adapter via USB?
From the vendor:

Please download the firmware update file from here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0268/4171/0674/files/Auto_Box_Update.img?204
Please save update firmware file on USB flash drive (Flash drive format must be FAT32)
Plug the flash drive into the CPLAY2air adapter.
Plug CPLAY2air to USB power charger/wall charger for your iPhone. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
Please wait 2-3 minutes, until the red LED and the blue LED will light up at the same time.
Please unplug the adapter from the USB charger and remove the USB flash drive from the adapter.
Please now plug the product into the USB port of the car.
Please wait until the new window will appear on the vehicle's screen.
Connect your phone to the WIFI SSID network which is shown on the screen.
Once connected, use the camera app to scan QR code on the screen or input 192.168.50.2 on your phone browser.
Once the software will be activated, please click the button "Reboot"

I was connected to my home network via Wifi while trying to get this to work. Is that a bad idea?
Can't work. As I already explained, the adapter uses the wi-fi connection to your phone. So the only way your phone can connect to the Internet is via OTA 4G LTE

I have LTE service in my garage as well.
Uh, no. You probably have wi-fi in your garage from your home network. But that is not 4G LTE, which must be accessed from the nearest cell tower.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had my iPhone forget my home network and confirmed that I was connected ONLY to 4G LTE and tried to connect again. It still gets to the Connecting... message and no further. I also tried updating the firmware using the link you provided (thanks for the instructions and url) but never had both red and blue LEDs lit, waited for 10 minutes to be sure. Any other ideas?

41 - 60 of 137 Posts