SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd love to see this too, would look awesome playing full screen youtube videos or netflix, but I haven't seen portrait CarPlay yet.
They are yet to implement it in any car. Sure it was announced (dynamic screens), but don't know if they actually went ahead and done it.
In Europe, portrait CarPlay is implemented and running on the roads on the latest Renault cars :). They have updated their firmware to v8 ~1 month ago on supported head units.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coSsu4gbI0w

·
Registered
572 Posts
In Europe, portrait CarPlay is implemented and running on the roads on the latest Renault cars :). They have updated their firmware to v8 ~1 month ago on supported head units.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coSsu4gbI0w
Wishful thinking then globocs! Hopefully the next Sensus software update will give us this too. I've read somewhere that they're planning an update of Sensus in December.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know its wishful thinking. What I'm trying to pinpoint is that it's on Volvo to support it, as opposed to it being a limitation of Apple as I've seen in numerous places.

I tried to contact Volvo on Twitter several times, and also sent them feedback via their website, but did not hear anything back.

Best case scenario is that they do an update in December and release support for all these things, but that's a very long shot. I suppose they will not release many more features to the existing units, and probably will focus the engineering spend on the new Android Sensus.

·
Registered
117 Posts
a tad expensive for its use, don't you think?

That and the time it takes to connect plus the need to acknowledge the screen for CarPlay makes it not very attractive. My wife's BMW connects wirelessly much faster...I'll have to time it and see.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The second pic (Tesla), is screen mirroring. Not CarPlay.
As for the first pic I don't know what that is.. it looks to me like an custom android chinese monitor. Nevertheless you can clearly see that CarPlay is still in landscape mode

CarPlay does not support Portrait mode. At least not yet. When it does, we could probably see an updated firmware on the sensus to support it, just like the sensus Spotify app works on library/browse.
Search on forum , exist module that integrates into the Sensus system and you have full Android in the XC60 / XC90
Here:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?587501-New-ROIK-Android-interface-Nougat-7-1-2
http://www.kaptrader.com/products/item.php?it_id=1539328583&it_2=Volvo&it_3=2018&it_4=XC60

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
a tad expensive for its use, don't you think?
The Volvo is also a tad expensive, don't you think? :p Seriously though, for me it's worth it, because every time I use wired CarPlay I keep forgetting my phone in the center console and having to go back to the car. That and the convenience of just placing my phone in the wireless charger rather than messing around with the center console, PLUS still being able to access the phone for other apps makes it worth the money.

·
Registered
572 Posts
What I've been trying to tell you all day today is that what you're posting is NOT CarPlay/Android Auto.
I'm sure there are lots of ways to "hack" or customize any monitor of any car. Whether an Audi/Merc/Volvo or a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am and call it KITT.
After all android is kind of an open source OS whereas iPhone OS is more restrictive.

Hopefully we get the update that enables CarPlay and AndroidAuto to span on full screen soon.

The Volvo is also a tad expensive, don't you think? :p Seriously though, for me it's worth it, because every time I use wired CarPlay I keep forgetting my phone in the center console and having to go back to the car. That and the convenience of just placing my phone in the wireless charger rather than messing around with the center console, PLUS still being able to access the phone for other apps makes it worth the money.
I'm not dissing on your purchase raeldor, don't get me wrong. I see the benefits of having wireless carplay, I do. I'm just a bit reluctant in spending 150 euro for that kind of luxury.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I'm not dissing on your purchase raeldor, don't get me wrong. I see the benefits of having wireless carplay, I do. I'm just a bit reluctant in spending 150 euro for that kind of luxury.
I hear you; it's definitely a luxury and not a necessity. I guess it's down to the individual whether the convenience is worth the money.

On another note I received a very promising email from the developers...

Thank you for purchasing our CPLAY2air adapter! As you may already know, we are working tirelessly on our new update which will be a huge improvement from the last one. It took us a little longer than we expected, but we want to make sure that you will receive it when it is fully tested. To keep you excited here is what to expect from the new update:

• Improved connection speed
• Improved music sound quality
• Fixes an issue that could cause the adapter to disconnect
• Fixes an issue that could cause track info and album artworks not appear on the screen
• Better compatibility, it now also works with more systems, makes an models
• All-new visual interface
• Software translation in 12 languages
They are saying they have finished development and are doing their best to package it up and release it in the next week.

If Volvo would come out with full-screen portrait support too that would be wonderful, but I think we're going to have to wait a LONG time for that to happen. I sent an email directly to their support to petition for this feature. Maybe if they received a lot of emails they would think seriously about it ([email protected]).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hear you; it's definitely a luxury and not a necessity. I guess it's down to the individual whether the convenience is worth the money.

On another note I received a very promising email from the developers...

They are saying they have finished development and are doing their best to package it up and release it in the next week.

If Volvo would come out with full-screen portrait support too that would be wonderful, but I think we're going to have to wait a LONG time for that to happen. I sent an email directly to their support to petition for this feature. Maybe if they received a lot of emails they would think seriously about it ([email protected]).
I also emailed them and tried contactin on Twitter.
You could retweet these:

https://twitter.com/catadincoo/status/1136573023618764800

https://twitter.com/catadincoo/status/1191372061496762369

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
572 Posts
another solution/workaround would be mirror display just as bigbang posted.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How about sound quality? Does it sound the same playing music from your phone using this setup vs the regular wired carplay setup?

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
How about sound quality? Does it sound the same playing music from your phone using this setup vs the regular wired carplay setup?
If you're referring to the wireless CarPlay adapter then it sounds comparable to Bluetooth in my opinion. Sometimes I feel wired CarPlay is slightly better than Bluetooth, but it's so marginal that it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you're referring to the wireless CarPlay adapter then it sounds comparable to Bluetooth in my opinion. Sometimes I feel wired CarPlay is slightly better than Bluetooth, but it's so marginal that it's hard to tell.
Glad it works that good for you. What sound system do you have? In my case, during my OSD, the difference in sound quality between bluetooth and wired carplay on the B&W system was night and day. It wasn’t even close. I love the idea of this adapter, but that alone would keep me away from buying one. Perhaps I needed to mess around with settings. I’ll give bluetooth another try when the car gets here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’m really happy with the sound quality haven’t noticed any difference at all
Same question as above... which sound system do you have?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Glad it works that good for you. What sound system do you have? In my case, during my OSD, the difference in sound quality between bluetooth and wired carplay on the B&W system was night and day. It wasn’t even close. I love the idea of this adapter, but that alone would keep me away from buying one. Perhaps I needed to mess around with settings. I’ll give bluetooth another try when the car gets here.
My understanding is that the adapter uses Bluetooth only for the initial pairing procedure with the cellphone. The actual music transmission is done over wi-fi, which should be appreciably better than Bluetooth in quality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think D3ggy and I are answering the same questions. My answers are for the wireless CarPlay adapter. I think D3ggy is talking about the Android auto module. As for me I have the Harmon Kardon system that is now standard in the Inscription 2019.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts