SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

There is an adapter to convert wired CarPlay to wireless, but there's a lot of talk as to whether it's legit or not because it has practically 100% 5* reviews on the website which looks a little suspicious. I ordered it and it just arrived, so I paired it up and it actually seems to work pretty good. Takes about 26-27 seconds to connect (I'm not sure how quickly the official wireless CarPlay connects), but I can definitely live with that time to get wireless CarPlay and be able to use my wireless Qi charger at the same time. I put together a small video in case anyone is interested seeing it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znG4pWjU0w

There is also a Swedish company that makes something that's pretty much identical. I ordered that too so I could compare the connect and response times, but I won't be able to test it until after Christmas (since they didn't change my shipping address in time), so I'll report back then.

I haven't used it in anger yet, so I'll report back here any issues I encounter during daily use from here on out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Raeldor, Looks great, lot of recent model cars have 'wireless Apple car play' as standard feature, I believe Volvo might come up with this soon. And by the way, your steering wheel is on the wrong side :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raeldor, Looks great, lot of recent model cars have 'wireless Apple car play' as standard feature, I believe Volvo might come up with this soon. And by the way, your steering wheel is on the wrong side :p
It's possible but not confirmed wireless CarPlay is coming, but to be honest their new generation Sensus is 100% Android, which means it will actually be far more useful than CarPlay. I mostly use CarPlay for Google Maps and apps, and I can do this on the next generation Sensus without even using CarPlay which is even better. But either way, it's not really a fix for my current car.

I thought something was a bit off with the steering wheel. :rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have it, works well with a small caveat on the button function, a supposed software update will fix that

https://youtu.be/a7O3feYEal4
Yeah, I noticed also that there's no media information displayed in the dash either. I emailed them about it, so we'll see what they say. I'm wondering though if the real Wireless CarPlay also suffers from the same issue. I don't know anyone with Wireless CarPlay to confirm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, I noticed also that there's no media information displayed in the dash either. I emailed them about it, so we'll see what they say. I'm wondering though if the real Wireless CarPlay also suffers from the same issue. I don't know anyone with Wireless CarPlay to confirm.
I’m not too fussed about it not being there the screen buttons are huge and Siri can also answer and end calls so it’s no big deal.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Why Volvo did not enable CarPlay - Android Auto like the others full screen, but only on half of the screen

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think it's on the right side ;)
Nice video OP. Might as well try it too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Why Volvo did not enable CarPlay - Android Auto like the others full screen, but only on half of the screen
I haven't seen CarPlay / Android Auto on Tablet like monitors such as the one Volvo's have. I believe the reason behind the fact it cannot span to full screen is the fact that the resolution doesn't support it. So when Apple / Android decide to support that, we may have full screen CarPlay. Not sure if Volvo can do anything about it other than dedicating a section for it.

For those who have jailbroken iPhones try carbridge.

·
Registered
572 Posts
OP and the lot, can you please share me the link to purchase ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm suspecting CarPlay doesn't play too well on a portrait screen, which is why they made it so small. When you look at it on the BMW screen, which is widescreen, it's huge. I would like to see some of the unused tabs disappear when you're in CarPlay mode though (Phone tab, Music tab) to give a little more vertical space.

Oh, here's a link to the website, though I really want to compare this to the Swedish version, but that won't happen until I can pick it up from England at Christmas.

https://carplay2air.com/

And here's the Swedish one for those interested...

https://www.eftermontering.se/musik-interface/6486-wireless-carplay-adapter-audi-volvo-mercedes.html

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm suspecting CarPlay doesn't play too well on a portrait screen, which is why they made it so small. When you look at it on the BMW screen, which is widescreen, it's huge. I would like to see some of the unused tabs disappear when you're in CarPlay mode though (Phone tab, Music tab) to give a little more vertical space.

Oh, here's a link to the website, though I really want to compare this to the Swedish version, but that won't happen until I can pick it up from England at Christmas.

https://carplay2air.com/

And here's the Swedish one for those interested...

https://www.eftermontering.se/musik-interface/6486-wireless-carplay-adapter-audi-volvo-mercedes.html
a tad expensive for its use, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I haven't seen CarPlay / Android Auto on Tablet like monitors such as the one Volvo's have. I believe the reason behind the fact it cannot span to full screen is the fact that the resolution doesn't support it. So when Apple / Android decide to support that, we may have full screen CarPlay. Not sure if Volvo can do anything about it other than dedicating a section for it.

For those who have jailbroken iPhones try carbridge.
So the difference is only 0.2 inches

8.8 or 10.1-inch diagonal in Audi A6, A7 ( 8.8-inches on the base model) or ( 8.3 inch in Q5 ) 10.1 inch with a resolution of 1,540 x 720 pixels

9.0 inch in Volvo

So writing that it doesn't support the resolution is nonsense

·
Registered
572 Posts
So the difference is only 0.2 inches

8.8 or 10.1-inch diagonal in Audi A6, A7 ( 8.8-inches on the base model) or ( 8.3 inch in Q5 ) 10.1 inch with a resolution of 1,540 x 720 pixels

9.0 inch in Volvo

So writing that it doesn't support the resolution is nonsense

You do understand the difference between portrait and landscape right?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You do understand the difference between portrait and landscape right?
Whether it is portrait or landscape ?????

Volvo supports 720x576 resolution

Interesting, then what is this

to this:

Do you understand now :confused: Tesla 17-inch , with resolution 1920 x 1200 :eek:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Whether it is portrait or landscape ?????

Volvo supports 720x576 resolution

Interesting, then what is this

to this:

Do you understand now :confused: Tesla 17-inch , with resolution 1920 x 1200 :eek:
The second pic (Tesla), is screen mirroring. Not CarPlay.
As for the first pic I don't know what that is.. it looks to me like an custom android chinese monitor. Nevertheless you can clearly see that CarPlay is still in landscape mode

CarPlay does not support Portrait mode. At least not yet. When it does, we could probably see an updated firmware on the sensus to support it, just like the sensus Spotify app works on library/browse.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Apple supports fullscreen Carplay in portrait mode, as of iOS 13.

Apple detailed the new features that the new APIs would enable, here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/

It's up for Volvo to support it or not, there's also another thread which discusses this: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?609689-iOS-13-Carplay&highlight=carplay
I'd love to see this too, would look awesome playing full screen youtube videos or netflix, but I haven't seen portrait CarPlay yet.
They are yet to implement it in any car. Sure it was announced (dynamic screens), but don't know if they actually went ahead and done it.

I think this is a Renault.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts