SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have some wired behavior kind of hard to describe in words...

If I start from stand still even very hard accelerating even to red line it's business as usual. Also in second gear I can accelerate hard. But if I press the acceleration hard while the car is running at a given speed (easier to repro if the RPM is low) I hear the engine reeving and the RPM on the clock are climbing but there is no acceleration. Is like the clutch is slipping. But if that is the case then I should not be able to start hard. Also if I do not match the speed during shifts I get the usual feedback of the clutch grabbing and trying to stall the engine (if the clutch is bad I expected it to slip).

This all thing does not make sense to me.

I have a 2004 VR manual with some more power thanks to ipd stage I. The clutch was replaced few years back at the same time the new angle gear was installed. It got a SPEC II clutch, new slave cyl, resurfaced flywheel.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Much easier to do at full torque in a high gear than first where even a slippy clutch has an easier time pushing the car up to speed.

Clutch failure isn't always all or nothing. Sometimes it can only hold a fraction of full torque, so it only slips when you meet the right conditions to exceed that torque level.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
What RPMs are you talking about when you say you are having a problem? If you are going slowly and put it in third at low RPMs, you'll get a lot of revving before the boost picks up enough to make the car go with any real power. I can't be sure from your description, but it almost sounds like you are experiencing turbo lag associated with not being in a low enough gear.

For instance, even in my GT, I can put the car in third from a start and stand on the gas pedal. It will take a second or two before it really picks up and takes off. The RPMs are climbing, but I'm going nowhere fast as I wait for the boost to build. Can't tell if that's what you're talking about or not.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
He says the revs go up but the car does not accelerate, sure sounds like a slipping clutch to me.
It may well be, but the part about "at low RPMs" made me think about the turbo. If he means literally "no" acceleration, then yeah, I'm with you. If he means comparatively "no" acceleration, then I'm back to my question.

I intentionally do that all the time with the GT because it sounds cool. I'll start in third, let it build up pressure and start getting some real acceleration, and then let out. Psssh! lol

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
At low RPMs there is no torque to slip the clutch. He says he doesn't feel it slip in first, so the clutch still has some grip, just sounds like not enough to handle peak torque.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
At low RPMs there is no torque to slip the clutch. He says he doesn't feel it slip in first, so the clutch still has some grip, just sounds like not enough to handle peak torque.
But he can run it to redline and it doesn't slip there?

Why are we debating each other? LOL OP, tell us more! :p

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is not like turbo lag. The engine is quickly reeving up but there is no go.

This SPEC 2 (or maybe is 2+) clutch has less miles on it than the OEM one it replaced and that one was fine BTW. It was replaced only as preventive maintenance just because I was in there (transmission replacement). This car is no monster (just stage I) and just a street driven car with no stop lights races so I'm very disappointed if this is the clutch causing it.

For a $800 SPEC clutch this would be a big disappointment.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a way to inspect the clutch w/o taking it apart? I was thinking of a boroscope. Is there a way to slip it in the housing?
Can anything else besides the clutch (flywheel, etc.) cause this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts