SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I found the wipers' speed is too slow to a heavy rain on a highway even manually put it to the highest speed.

anyone has the same issue?

if Volvo technicians can see this topic, can this resolved by a software update?

I will try find the weather info and attach here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When it's raining that hard, maybe slowing down is the better option

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Volvo has always had too slow wipers, its disturbing that they did not fix this...
My Volvo wipers have never had any problems, even in the heaviest rain. I've continued to drive, even when other cars have pulled over to the side of the road, my Volvo keeps going.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Volvo has always had too slow wipers, its disturbing that they did not fix this...
Not sure what you are talking about...I have driven through some of very heavy downpours, downright tropical storms and never had an issue with the wipers impairing my driving. There is a limit to everything but I do not find the speed of the wipers, when set at fast, being inadequate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nope i disagree, they are too slow and always have, I've been telling volvo of North America they need to fix this since 2007, but ofcourse a stupid rep on the phone doesn't give a fck about what customer have to say. I believe volvo might have the slowest wiper motors in the game. Here in Vancouver it rains a lot like everyday for 300 days lol. When it rains hard ppl ahead of me always brake for no reason (out of Fear) so faster wipers are necessary. My work van 2006 ford eco250 has faster wipers. Which I drive daily, So is my friends 14' Benz E350 or even a 01 'Camry lmao. This is the same problem on 06 c30 05 v50 11c30 and 15.5 v60.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Maybe it's a safety feature as Volvo drivers have to slow down in heavy rain... Seriously though, I've noticed that the wipers in my X5 are faster, but in all honesty never thought about it as a weakness. I just slow down like I always do when I think I am driving too fast for the conditions.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Interesting discussion. I have noticed that in heavy rain I have much worse visibility in the Volvo than I have (and do) in my other cars. I hadn't figured out why. Perhaps this is the answer.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ive found the auto wipers to be a little slow, both to activate at all and to operate at a slow interval even in heavy rain, even set to the highest frequency. With the wipers just set on high though I've found them to be plenty fast and have driven in very heavy rain with no issues.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ive found the auto wipers to be a little slow, both to activate at all and to operate at a slow interval even in heavy rain, even set to the highest frequency. With the wipers just set on high though I've found them to be plenty fast and have driven in very heavy rain with no issues.
I haven't been using the auto wipers yet so for me it was manual wipers set to high. I still couldn't say it's definitely the wiper speed. I can say that all the drivers in my household have noticed we have more visibility issues in the Volvo than our other cars. We even were driving in two of are cars on a trip and stopped at a rest stop during heavy rains and switched cars for the second leg and both noticed how much more trouble we had seeing in the Volvo. It's almost like there is a sheet of rain on the windshield that we didn't have in the other car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have always believed in making sure that the windshield is as clear as possible. I have used rainx over the years and have found it hard to keep up with cleaning every 2-3 months. I understand now that there are much better products than the rainx but have not had the time to use them yet. I intend to in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJkfrY2owb0 here is a video of Chrisfix that shows how he does it for his display cars.

IMHO, the advantage of the super clean windshield is that when there is heavy rain, you do not even have to turn on the wipers. Water forms pearls and just rolls off. The real issue is when it is drizzling. The wipers have to be turned on and I feel they start robbing the rainx. The super fast wipers on my Lexus make it almost blurry to see the cars ahead.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The gen I s40 I had certainly had slow wipers, this is the reality. I have not driven a newer generation volvo in heavy rain so cannot comment further...

·
Registered
541 Posts
During the heavy rains here in NYC last week, I used the auto wipers and they were great! Maybe its also because I got the Opticoat Glass Coat on my windows, though...

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
During the heavy rains here in NYC last week, I used the auto wipers and they were great! Maybe its also because I got the Opticoat Glass Coat on my windows, though...
I agree. I used to use Rain-x since I got my license in the mid 90's and even before that applying it to my dads vehicle whenever I detailed it as a kid. The stuff was amazing then and remains now. Only now technology has advanced and luckily there are newer procucts that simply last longer than Rain x but provide the same benefit.

I recommend, at a minimum, considering people rain-x'ing their windshields if they don't want to go for the more expensive products, the beading truly helps visibility.

The windshield will of course need to be redone more often than the side and rear windows, which honestly, I never need to redo again by the time I generally trade at 3-4 years.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So.. What are some of these other product options other than RainX or Opti-coat?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
So.. What are some of these other product options other than RainX or Opti-coat?

There are a lot now quite honestly, and I can't say I've tried each one.

I've used this ine from optimum which isn't cheap. I will say it lasts a long time without reapplication but I find it doesn't bead as well as rain X. Give and take I guess, linger lasting versus better beading. http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-glass-coating.html

This one has been around a long time like rain X but lasts longer, is an ok price and is quick to apply and dispose of with its built in product/applicator: http://www.autogeek.net/aquapel-case.html

Here are more via a search but honestly, something is better than nothing. If not being applied to a new vehicle (which I'd still prep with isopropyl alcohol to make sure it bonds to the glass) I recommend first polishing the glass to get rid of anything in there, then IPA it and then apply product. Here's more via search- http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&query=Glass+coating&x=0&y=0

If all else fails rain X is still a good standby but it'll need to be reapplied more often depending on how often you use your wipers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not to get off-topic, but has anyone noticed the power windows to be slow? I'm still waiting on my XC90, but during a recent test drive, I noticed that the up/down operation was much slower than I was accustomed to.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not to get off-topic, but has anyone noticed the power windows to be slow? I'm still waiting on my XC90, but during a recent test drive, I noticed that the up/down operation was much slower than I was accustomed to.
This has been mentioned several times on this forum. They are indeed slow compared to many other vehicles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Getting back on topic - is there any downside to using products such as opti-coat glass or rain-x on a car with the heated windshield option? I'm guessing it wouldn't affect actual heating at all, but you might have to re-apply more often as the product may "burn off" faster. Just don't know if the heated glass would cause visibility issues (other than the already discussed distortion!) with the product applied on the window, like a hazing or blurring.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Getting back on topic - is there any downside to using products such as opti-coat glass or rain-x on a car with the heated windshield option? I'm guessing it wouldn't affect actual heating at all, but you might have to re-apply more often as the product may "burn off" faster. Just don't know if the heated glass would cause visibility issues (other than the already discussed distortion!) with the product applied on the window, like a hazing or blurring.
That's an excellent question. I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts