SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was giving the S60 its first handwash today, and found it a little frustrating dealing with the wipers...

Usually when I wash a car, I flip the wipers up, but these wipers are like the old GM "hideaway" wipers, they tuck down below the cowl a bit in the "parked" position, you can't flip them up. Now my old Lexus was like this, but it had a "summer" and "winter" position, you could manually snap them up in winter position and then they would flip up off the windshield. The Volvo doesn't seem to have that.

I then thought about the "service position" so I turned the car on, put them in service position so I could then flip the wipers up. Imagine my surprise when the wipers all of a sudden went *smack* back down. Apparently I discovered if you turn the car off with the wipers anywhere but parked, even with the service position on, they go back to parked after a bit. I guess you need to leave the accessory/ignition on to service the wipers. At least the edge of the hood appeared to be undamaged from pushing the wiper arms back down. Even without the service position, I found you can actually move the wiper arms by hand when the car is off. And after a few min they will move back to parked...

So what's up with this? The wipers don't flip up? I'm not so concerned about washing the car, but I have been flipping the wipers up before snow storms for years now, ever since I was in Germany and saw entire parking lots of cars with the wipers flipped up before a snow. I would've thought the Volvo is a typical european car where the wipers flip up. I guess not but maybe I missed some Swedish quirks...

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
If you look in Sensus you'll see a button that says wiper service position.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Volvo S60 T4 MY20
200 Posts
I have tried the service position once so far while washing the car, and they stayed in their position as expected. I don't think I started the engine though.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted this over a year ago, bringing it back from the dead huh?

I did since learn that whatever happened with service position where the wipers returned to parked, I couldn't reproduce. I do now remove the key from my pocket and keep it far away when washing, so the car doesn't continually lock and unlock when you spray the door handles lol.

I also figured out however the wiper mechanism works the wipers aren't locked like older cars, you can just move the wipers with your hand, pull them up a bit from parked and flip them up. They won't return to position until you start the car and operate the wipers, then they return to parked position. No need to use the service position, just remember to flip them back down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts