SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope this finds everyone well. Here is my issue; this weekend I replaced the in-tank fuel pump (successfully), thinking I would save the easier task for last (Wiper motor); well as it turns out, the wiper motor was a failure. When I turn my blades on, the motor attempts to drag the blades down verses up, I checked the linkage and I'm at a lost - I tried to adjust the blades by popping them off and aligning them where the motor stops - still no luck. Man I would rather do in-tank fuel pump swaps all day verses this wiper motor swap - hahahaa I have the glove box out - and I watch the motor direction - I can't figure this one out! can anyone give me some pointers/help; I'm wiper less, and rain is on the way - hahahahaha

As always - I truly appreciate everyones help/assistance -

Fred

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: Wiper motor replaced (fmacdowell)

Is the wiper motor under the dash or on the engine side of the firewall?

Where did you get the new motor?

How many electrical connections are on the new motor?

Are you sure you got them connected correctly?

George Dill

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Wiper motor replaced (gdill2)

Hello George - thank you for responding - you have helped me out in the past, i was glad to see that you responded
- I got the part used from Pull A Part - the unit mounts on the firewall. the part number is identical to the one i had previously, it has a electrical connector that snaps right into the unit. I've tried pulling the blades of and mounting them onto the spindle when i turned the unit off, think that would be the stopping point, well as soon as i put them on it goes hay-wire again.

Thanks- Fred

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

George - i can barely see the diagrams, it wont let me expand them, when i try to go to the URL i can't open the link. The motor i swapped out does work - but the line up of the blades is way off - even after i adjust - when i align the blades to the stopping point, it goes crazy - and will not stop in the non-use location, the only way i can get them to work is by adjusting the blades in the center of the window, it operates fine; however, when i turn off the blades, the stop back in the center of the window.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

With the wiper blades off, start the motor then switch it off so the posts go to the "park position." Mark on the wiper posts what looks like the proper "park" position for the blades, then turn the motor on and off again to see if the marks on the posts are in the same place. If not, there's something wrong with the gear on the motor or the wiper transmission. If the marks are still in the same position, install the wiper blades in the proper position, lift them off the windshield and try again. They should still stop in the correct position, but if not, check the gear on the motor and wiper transmission as above. If they're in the correct position, tip the wiper blades on to the windshield and try again. If they now act up as before, then the drag of the blades on the windshield is probably causing the gear on the motor or in the post assemblies to skip, which means one or more is worn or stripped.

On second thought, if you're in a hurry just go to the last test as that's more than likely the problem.

·
Premium Member
19,954 Posts
Re: Wiper motor replaced (John2x240)

Fred;

Does your wiper arm have a flip-up cap at each post?

If so, is there a tension nut under each cap?

If so, is either arm slipping when the motor operates?

George Dill

·
Registered
371 Posts

This is probably going to seem like it won't work, but the exact same thing happened to me decades ago with a 190 SL. Same damned problem. What I did was, with the motor disconnected from the linkage, pull the wipers over to the full sweep area opposite from the wiper's parked position, then reconnect the motor. Hopefully, in the parked position they will fall into line. The one thing that I don't like about Volvo wipers are those wimpy little soft metal splines, so try to preserve them. One more thing. Make sure that the pivot that attaches to the motor drive hasn't fallen down into another position. I don't know if that's possible on the Volvo linkage because thank God that I haven't had to replace the motor yet. I've only seen the Volvo linkage once, and it wasn't on my car, but just coincidently, I happen to have my glove box out for another reason.
Good luck.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Hey, George... the comments that provided the fix are almost exactly what I just posted a few minutes ago to another poster... john4x4. The only difference is, that I had to find out the hard way with me on my back in a backbreaking position on that old 190 SL that I used to have. By the by... I still have the hard top which is hanging in my walk-in closet... much to the consternation of my scalp. Ha ha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.