SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not sure what choice is like in Canada but I bought Bosch for the front and they're fine. Mainly because the dealer wanted to charge something ridiculous. Then I had to return to the dealer for the rear because the wiper is built into part of the arm and looked to me to be OEM or nothing. I certainly couldn't see anything like it at general parts suppliers.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I don't know how accurate this is, but reading a review on Consumer report, they didn't find a bad wiper. They all performed well. Try using Rain X it works great. You can drive down the highway in the rain and not use your wipers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like my Bosch blades for the front. The rear I went OEM (have to buy entire arm) because every option at the local parts shop didn't fit.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'd like to upgrade in this dept as well. I've heard good things from some about PIAA blades for the front. Anyone here have specific experience with them?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Got some generic flat blades from a local car stuff shop, cheap and works like hell. Never seen a blade last more than a norwegian year anyway. Rear I went OEM, since it has the thingy that clips into the arm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried buying a rear wiper at O'Reilly's. Even though the computer says it is compatible, it is not. There is metal that gets in the way of the clip on the aftermarket ones. It's basically OEM or hack the metal out of the way on the aftermarket rear wiper to make it fit, which is dumb. Don't do that.

I like Bosch or Rain-X wipers on the front.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've noticed that in recent years wipers all suck. They all get streaky within a few weeks. Bosh Icons used to be great but now they're just as mediocre as everyone else's

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I've been using Rain-X blades, they seem to be fine with no chattering like Volvo blades which have a tendency to do.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been using Rain-X blades, they seem to be fine with no chattering like Volvo blades which have a tendency to do.
The problem with RainX blades is they are a lot taller so they put more pressure on the windshield. Maybe that results in a better wipe but I don't like it because it means more risk of dust stuck under the blade causing scratches

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
It's basically OEM or hack the metal out of the way on the aftermarket rear wiper to make it fit, which is dumb. Don't do that.
I don't disagree, but I bought a valeo arm off Amazon and I noticed that. This one: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDCDFK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00. I just pulled out my dremel and it really didn't take much effort to make the clearance I needed, and then it worked perfect. It is aluminum so it's not rusting, and it works better than the Volvo blade that I'd bought before. The spring is weak on my car so the Volvo blade would leave an unwiped patch right in the center of the back window, really annoying. This one is taller and wipes completely.

For the fronts the only ones I've been disappointed in are Michelins, they had too tight of a bend so the centers didn't wipe well and they wore out really fast. Otherwise I've used Bosch, Rain-X, Valeo, all worked well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Went with OEM from IPD on the XC70 and the chatter was unbearably annoying, so switched over to Costco Michelins which have been great so far - the only challenge with the Michelins was that I ended up going with a 21 inch rather than the recommended 22 inch passenger side as the 22 was hitting the side trim. OEM rear seems fine so far.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I use the Bosch Icons on all my cars and they work great. clay bar and rainx your windshield that helps a ton.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use the Bosch Icons on all my cars and they work great. clay bar and rainx your windshield that helps a ton.
I've never thought about clay-bar-ing my windshield! Great idea!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
there's also polish available.

Ours has a substantial scratch that looks like it's from a ring or something dragged across. So i get to polish it out in the spring.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went with OEM from IPD on the XC70 and the chatter was unbearably annoying, so switched over to Costco Michelins which have been great so far - the only challenge with the Michelins was that I ended up going with a 21 inch rather than the recommended 22 inch passenger side as the 22 was hitting the side trim. OEM rear seems fine so far.
Funny, I have the same Michelin Stealth blades and I made the same mistake with the passenger side. They're working great but I'm curious what others are using

1 - 20 of 35 Posts