SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be a topic out there already...

But! I need new wipers and I'm looking for opinions on this.
I'm sick of crappy wipers- I live in Minnesota so I deal with a lot snow and ice crap.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Not sure about there but here in Colorado the expensive ones dont last any longer than the cheap ones. I prefer the beam style because they seem to work better for me but still have to replace them as often as the cheapest ones.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Here in NY we get a lot of ice.. Rips them all up. I go with the rainx or Bosch beams. They're probably the same thing.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
My OEM blades last forever! I also use Rain-X windshield washer fluid FTW.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
OEM are very beefy. If you have the early style arm it's about the only thing that fits properly anyway.

+3 for polished glass & some sort of sealant such as RainX. Helps snow slide off side windows also.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
gotta say that the OEM ones i bought were pretty good.. I hate buying blades that dont quite fit.

what do you guys think, Is there something you can condition the rubber with for the winter? ALSO , i thought the made special wiper blades for winter, maybe they'd work better, switch them out between season if your tired of ruining your blades on ice and such.

edit: the part number for my 05' s40 was : Bosch 3397118953, which i bought on amazon for a decent price.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OEM has always been the best for me, NAPA Premium has been my back up. They all seem over-priced to me, but a driver needs to see clearly to be safe.

·
Registered
963 Posts
OEM are very beefy. If you have the early style arm it's about the only thing that fits properly anyway.

+3 for polished glass & some sort of sealant such as RainX. Helps snow slide off side windows also.
How do you polish your glass? I'm going to be doing a write up on using CeriGlass to get rid of the horrible wiper etching I have.

RainX is good, but it never lasts that long for me. Aquapel is about twice as much ($8), but lasts around 6 months! Only downside is it takes a little more speed (maybe 5mph).

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've been using rainx forever and barely ever use my wipers. But the winter kills them. I had a car that the wipers didn't even work for 2 years lol

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've used both of those and they are pretty much the same. The aerosol just didn't last more than a week on the windshield. I only do it every few months normally.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
I must say that I have a pair of Michelin's from Costco on the car for winter, and I'm very happy with them. They look beefy enough to handle being stuck under a layer of ice. They went straight on the pin mount without any extra parts or fuss.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll admit I'm cheap, so here's what I do.

First, keep a 1/4 sheet if 220 grit sandpaper in the car. Wipe the blades down once every month or two to keep the rubber fresh. In colorado, with dry air, ice, etc this will allow a blade to last streak free for about 2 years. Just use light pressure and run the full length of the blade in one pass. Do it about 4 passes on each side.

When it comes time to replace the blade If your beam assembly is still intact, buy the cheapest wiper blades or even better the refills for the correct sizes (26 and 20" I think). Discard the metal runners in the new blades and pop the new blade into the beam arm. Pretty easy.

If the beams are falling apart, like mine were from at least 5 years of use (and swapping blades in), I bought new trico beam assemblies from amazon. My old beam piece was split and the rubber getting stiff so when it was icy the wiper was not contacting the windscreen evenly. Their instructions for which pieces clip onto the blade depending on wiper arm style were crap. I found that different pieces worked better than what they recommended.

All in all not too bad to replace

1 - 20 of 37 Posts