SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn’t find a recent thread about replacing Wiper Blades using inserts/refills. (There are some older threads like http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?68891-Save-45-on-new-OEM-Wiper-Blades )

Question – has anyone put new inserts/refills on their OEM blades on MY2012 S60?

I really don’t want to pay about $40 to buy the set, and much more if I went to the dealer.

I replaced the OEMs with PIAA about 2 years ago (the cars was 2 years old back then), and I’m not happy so I’ll go back to Bosch Icon, but I don’t see any refills for that Brand/Model, hence the question.

N

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I've never seen refills for the OEM wipers, I just normally change the whole wiper. I used to do the whole refill replacement with the PIAA's on my S40, but gave up and used Rain-X wipers or OEM wipers on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I havent seen refills for Bosch ICON. I just replace the whole blade.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you or anyone you know is a Costco member, they have Goodyear Assurance wipers for $4.99 each when they go on sale ($7.99 otherwise).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you or anyone you know is a Costco member, they have Goodyear Assurance wipers for $4.99 each when they go on sale ($7.99 otherwise).
That's pretty good. But I can't find them on costco.com. It seems that they offer now Scrubblade.

n

·
Registered
597 Posts
You had the blades on for two years? Really? They can't be expected to last more than 6 months, no matter which brand you use. It's the exposure to the weather (not the rain, but sun, salt, the antifreeze component of the washer fluid, etc.) that kills them.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
You had the blades on for two years? Really? They can't be expected to last more than 6 months, no matter which brand you use. It's the exposure to the weather (not the rain, but sun, salt, the antifreeze component of the washer fluid, etc.) that kills them.
+1 change them every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
+1 change them every 6 months.
that's odd... i admit that i use rainex or aquapel on my windshields so i might be using wipers less than average, but for sure OEM's survived for 1.5 years already w/o visible drop in their quality. bosch icons on the other car seem to be working just fine as well, when in use. still quiet, efficient, and leave no streaks.

i did notice that oem wipers leave fine scratches on the windshield (a bit more than i would expect in 1.5 years), but not sure if that would be any less if i changed them more frequently.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I usually get a year out of the ICON's, but ours is garaged so less exposure to the elements.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
You had the blades on for two years? Really?
I had my OEMs on for 3 years before they started to show streaking. Dealer replaced them free under S&S but the second set gave out after only a year. I put ICONs on 6 months ago. They are doing just fine. I do wipe the grime off the blades at every car wash. Maybe that helps extent their service life.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5, 2003 XC60
126 Posts
I paid dealer bucks for my last set (2012 s60) a few months ago and noticed streaking on the return stroke almost immediately, so I'm thinking they aren't worth the cost - or does something need to be adjusted?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If your car is garage kept, of course you can get over 6 months! I'm at a year and a half now and they're just starting to show signs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wipers usually last the life of the car for me. Use fine sandpaper to clean the edge and the rubber stays nice and fresh. Haven't bought new wipers in 10+ years.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car is garaged at home but it does stay in the sun when I'm at work. I also wash the wipers when I wash the car and wipe them clean.

My S40's PIAAs lasted about 6 years but I'd also "sharpen" them per the instructions - after I've washed and cleaned the windshield with alcohol would dry-run the wipers for about 10 minutes. You can imagine my total shock when I got my S60 at 18 months old with wipers that were making the most horrible scraping sound and missed 30% of the cleaning area.

n

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know if they make them for the 60's but on my last car I ponied up the $20/blade and got silicone ones. Never had to sharpen or replace them in 8 years. When these wear out I'm going to look for the silicone ones for the S60.

·
Registered
329 Posts
that's odd... i admit that i use rainex or aquapel on my windshields so i might be using wipers less than average, but for sure OEM's survived for 1.5 years already w/o visible drop in their quality. bosch icons on the other car seem to be working just fine as well, when in use. still quiet, efficient, and leave no streaks.

i did notice that oem wipers leave fine scratches on the windshield (a bit more than i would expect in 1.5 years), but not sure if that would be any less if i changed them more frequently.
I think I come down more on this side of the equation - I've almost never had wipers wear out in any material way after just 6 months. I'm all for rules of thumb if that's one's preference, but with something like wipers I don't worry about them until I start to see some drop in effectiveness. Just me.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I don't know if they make them for the 60's but on my last car I ponied up the $20/blade and got silicone ones. Never had to sharpen or replace them in 8 years. When these wear out I'm going to look for the silicone ones for the S60.
If you find them, post the link for us. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts