SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Swap out the summer wheels and tires for my stock wheels and Blizzaks first and foremost, Alaska roads do not always get plowed in a timely manner. Check all the lights to make sure they are ready for our long dark winters and put on fresh wipers and fill the washer reservoir with cold rated washer fluid. I also double check my survival bag in the trunk (winter Carhartts, hats, gloves, pack boots, flares, knife, and Duraflame log). The log is a great emergency firestarter and 3 hour heat source.

I also keep her in the warm garage so she loves me in the morning for the drive into work!

·
Registered
837 Posts
put lacquered rounds in my car pistol, check antifreeze, snowboard rack on the car and bike rack comes off, put studded tires on and get an alignment.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Throwing on my winter tires and ordering some heavy rubber mats for the front.

Also, i'm gonna make some DIY mud flaps for the front/rear. Keep an eye out for that thread!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Also, i'm gonna make some DIY mud flaps for the front/rear. Keep an eye out for that thread!
Id love to see that, I was just thinking of some mud flaps but I don't like the hard plastic ones.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
What's snow? :snowcool: :p I'm really hoping we don't get our annual "snow" ice combo this year, as don't think my current tires will be up to it, even if it is just a few inches...

Some larger rubber mud flaps would be cool (like the STIs have).

If you don't have one, I would invest in a skid plate.
Basically, revert to as stock as possible. If you're lowered, go back to stock height. Mesh grille, go back to stock. Bigger wheels, use 16s or 17s with winter tires. Dynamic trim, put some garage gasket on it for protection.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes please share some pictures of the finished mudflaps! Pretty much same stuff here, check and (if needed)top off fluids, Winter tires/rims, I'd like to get a set of the Weathertech Floormats, and making sure I have some extra gloves/ sweatshirts in the back ready to go!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just ordered some RallyArmor mud flaps. I got the smaller size so I don't look too much like a poser, but with al the dirt roads I have to drive on and snow passes when going snowboarding I think they'll be nice. for 15 dollars for all 4 you cant go wrong. They looked pretty sweet on the sti in the example pic.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Swap out the summer wheels and tires for my stock wheels and Blizzaks first and foremost, Alaska roads do not always get plowed in a timely manner. Check all the lights to make sure they are ready for our long dark winters and put on fresh wipers and fill the washer reservoir with cold rated washer fluid. I also double check my survival bag in the trunk (winter Carhartts, hats, gloves, pack boots, flares, knife, and Duraflame log). The log is a great emergency firestarter and 3 hour heat source.

I also keep her in the warm garage so she loves me in the morning for the drive into work!
Yes! This survival bag is totally worth it in the winter when you're driving in (the desolate?) Thankfully I haven't used mine yet.
Would like to add a bar of chocolate (army tip), some rope (to pull the car from a ditch) and maybe fresh oil if it's 5 months of cold cranking... :)

And keep a little extra distance to the car in front... Best way to avoid an accident! Happy winter driving! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, The midwest/my volvo will be given a good amount of snow to deal with tomorrow,13+ inches you know what that means...

I will be putting the haldex awd system to good use!
Will try to get some good footage and make a little video.

Anything you would like to see/suggestions?.....within reason lol

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
snow? psshhhh my car is already in rally mode hahah.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Winter checks are quite "a lot" when I have time:

- new wiper blades all round
- RainX on all screens
- pure antifreeze in the wiper water bottle
- vaseline on all rubber seals inside the car and on the rubber pads and tubes under the bonnet
- top up of oil for the engine
- light bulb check all around and replacement of bulbs pairwise
- fitting of winter tyres (196/65 R15) early enough to keep mobile (check of all brakes and wheel bearings is done at the same time)
- all locks and joints are greased for winter (locks with graphite)
- battery level is checked regularly (every time I tank up to make sure it doesn't get too low)
- fuel tank is kept full rather than empty
- a blanket and some drink as well as a bag of sweets are kept in the car (you never know where you get stuck - on a motorway in a snow storm so you can't move, like in Russia :D)

I like to do a lot :) Better over-prepped than under-prepped (no, I am no prepper who is getting ready for the end of the world... :D)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I Use Pledge on the Trim ,
New Rear Wiper ,
Rear Fog Light Checked ,
New Oil change ,
Blanket ,
Gloves ,
Scarf ,
Hat ,
Snow Broom ,
Mini Snow Shovel
Bottle of Marvel Oil - for the Deep Cold

Winter before last , Buffalo, NY had one of those Bumper to Bumper - Jams - they were out there 8-9 hours .

This Year thou V50 is getting mostly parked , but the last few Winter have been very mild .

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm still on all season tires since snow has been late for the season here. Not a drop. Just cold rain...

I typically keep it somewhat simple:
- Paint clay bare, waxed, and polished before the harsh weather.
- Antifreeze washer fluid level check
- Battery check
- Snow tire & wheels + check pressure
- Oil level check
- Snow/Ice scrapper brush (though I use it as little as possible)

Everything else is checked throughout the yr so it doesn't count . . .
I do mostly city driving but a blanked isn't a bad idea when ever out of town even for short trips!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
When We use to get - had Bad Winters - really don't any longer seeing the Zones have moved North 140 miles , Use to carry Sleeping Bags .
Chains , but not really needed any longer . One might need that up in the Mountains . On the CC all We run are All Seasonal all yr.
DWS Conti's get it done , just wish they hadn't messed with a Good Tire , makes it much Harder to Balance - Seems Alignment also has to be Perfect with those Now.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm still on all season tires since snow has been late for the season here. Not a drop. Just cold rain...

I typically keep it somewhat simple:
- Paint clay bare, waxed, and polished before the harsh weather.
A well polished/waxed car really speeds cleaning off the snow, not to mention protects against the ice melting agents used on the roads.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Haven't really gotten the V50 up to snuff yet, but the same will apply pretty much

The following is what happens to the Subaru for the winter

-Swap summer survival kit for winter kit
-Blankets added
-Duraflame log added
-Stock extra air filter (air filter clogged with ice/snow will bring you to a stop quickly... been there done that)
-Wash, clay, polish, wax
-Aerospace 303 protectant on door seals
-Locks lubed with graphite
-Recovery strap, shackles, and hooks added
-Coolant system flushed
-Jug of antifreeze added (can be used for all sorts of things)
-Ice scraper

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts