SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Volvo makes Winter Wiper Blades for the 2016 XC90 ?

I think the wiper sizes are 24" Left and 20" Right

These are those butt-ugly wipers that have a full rubber boot around them and are made of a more flexible material, but don't get clogged-up and iced-up like regular wiper blades..

If so, do you know the part number so I can try to find a pair..

Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Don't you already have winter wiper blades? Aren't the factory blades heated? They are the bear Design so the already are designer to not collect ice or snow

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe the blades are heated.. the windshield is heated.
But the blades still collect snow and ice in big storms...
I'm up in northern mass near the Vermont border.. We get lots of ice and snow and we are big skiiers.

What is a 'bear design' that you reference?

Michael

·
Registered
914 Posts
As far as I know, winter blades only apply to the old style blades, adding a cover that prevents ice to build up in all the moving parts.

Old-style blade:

Winter blade on an old-style blade:

But the blades your XC90 has don't need anything extra, they are already designed in a streamlined way that doesn't get much ice. I live in Canada and I have never heard of winter blades in newer cars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting... looks like they are not needed.. maybe I’m thinking of my older xc90 that didn’t have these types of wipers. I’ll look at them but looks like they may not be needed after all...: Guess it’s just old school thinking in my part... or I’m just old... Thanks. Michael

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My typo was to be "beam" design, the fully enclosed contoured blade as pictured above. I did some research and the XC90 does not have the same wiper blades design as the XC60/S60/V60 cars surprisingly. The 60 series cars have no washer nozzles, instead small holes are Incorporated into the blade and "spray" onto the glass uniformly to provide 100% coverage and optimum cleaning. Because of this design the actual blade itself is heated to keep the fluid from freezing inside. I was incorrect in assuming the 90 series used these as well. It's a pretty trick design to have heated blades!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what do you mean by heated windshield? Do you mean the traditional defroster or is this an optional feature?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what do you mean by heated windshield? Do you mean the traditional defroster or is this an optional feature?
It was an early option that could not be combined with the heads-up display. It has tons of filaments that can be very distracting at first, but then you can barely see them. Not very popular, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts