SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So winter is in the air. What shoes do you wear in the winter and in what size? Post some pics please :))
What's the smallest wheel size that would fit 2015 RD?
Had Blizaks on Audi a3 FWD before and they were awesome! Felt like it was on rails!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's are the best. I used Blizaks the Nokians are better. I have 4 new tires that I used on my Subaru that I traded in for my S60. they are 225-50-17. Do they fit your car? if your interested I can sell them to you. I purchased them last Fall.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm more interested in finding alloy wheels. I don't want to keep swapping winter/summer tires on OEM rims and steel rims are a no-go.

Worried about centering of aftermarket wheels being off as lots of room for error with hub rings. I don't want any vibrations at all, but OEM rims are $400 each!

I was told by many sources to run 17", an inch smaller than OEM rims. Assuming I get new wheels, aftermarket most likely, I'll probably run Blizzaks, then go with Haka's after that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The smallest size you should put on and actually the only size that my Volvo dealer will put on the XC60's is 17 inch alloy's. They will not fit steel wheels to the XC60's.

We have 17" OEM "Minos" rims matched with Gislaved Nord Frost 100's. Although a lot of people highly recommend Haka's and I'm not saying they aren't great, because they are. The Gislaveds are the best winter tires I have ever owned. We get a wide range of conditions (extreme cold with deep snow, extreme cold with lots of ice, slushy snow, fluffy snow) and only in the most severe icy conditions do you feel like you're driving in adverse weather.

Crappy picture from last winter:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The smallest size you should put on and actually the only size that my Volvo dealer will put on the XC60's is 17 inch alloy's. They will not fit steel wheels to the XC60's.

We have 17" OEM "Minos" rims matched with Gislaved Nord Frost 100's.

Crappy picture from last winter:

Thanks! Do u know what size rubber goes with those 17"

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks! Do u know what size rubber goes with those 17"

I believe they are 235/65 R17'. I don't have access to the tires for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
not sure what you think about them, but that's what tirerack recommends. I like seeing what tirerack has to offer and have gotten tires from them in the past. I think generally their info is correct.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use the Volvo "Sleipner" 18" wheels with Hakkapeliitta R's in 235/60-18. These have the same diameter as a 235/65-17 and 255/45-20. With this combo the XC60 goes through everything the last three Minnesota winters could throw at it. The newer R2's replaced the R's.

The Sleipner wheels fit perfectly. I came from 20's, so I downsized two sizes. Under $300 each (you also need center caps I think). I did not buy them here, but this is a pic:
http://www.vivaperformance.com/18x8-sleipner-wheel-bright-silver/

·
Registered
745 Posts
not sure what you think about them, but that's what tirerack recommends. I like seeing what tirerack has to offer and have gotten tires from them in the past. I think generally their info is correct.
The size is perfect. Really when it comes down to winter tires I know people who swear by the Blizzak WS80's and then others that swear by the Hakka's.

The only thing I've ever been cautioned about when it comes to alloy's in winter is make sure you are buying a good quality alloy.

Alloys are way easier to bend vs a steel rim, and during the winter time you have a higher likelihood of hitting a curb while sliding (sometimes it's unavoidable even with winter tires).

The only other reason steel rims are sometimes recommended is due to weight, they can assist with traction. This however is not an issue in a Volvo SUV. I know our suzuki which has a curb weight of almost less then half of the XC60 had traction issues when we had alloys with winter tires. Now we have steel rims with studs and it's just as planted as the XC60.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tirerack 17" A7 Sport Rims with Blizzak DM-V1.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use Volvo merac wheels with 235/60-18 nokian tires. I had 17" inch tires first year with the car but changed to 18" since the car handles so much better going up one inch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use Volvo merac wheels with 235/60-18 nokian tires.
Meracs look pretty nice, too bad they're so expensive compared to some of the other wheel options. I'm thinking of getting a set of Portunus to use as summer wheels and keep the stock Zephyrus on for winter.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
For those who have gotten a tire/wheel combo at tirerack, did you notice any vibration/wobble/other issues after mounting?

I know they road-force balance them if you buy the tire/wheel package, but I'm very concerned they put in the wrong hub rings or their rings still leave a small gap, leaving wiggle room on the hub allowing for possible offset mounting.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Not in my case, the hub rings they provided were quite snug.

For those who have gotten a tire/wheel combo at tirerack, did you notice any vibration/wobble/other issues after mounting?

I know they road-force balance them if you buy the tire/wheel package, but I'm very concerned they put in the wrong hub rings or their rings still leave a small gap, leaving wiggle room on the hub allowing for possible offset mounting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went with the "Replika" R149 17" alloy wheels with Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires... have never used Blizzak's before, hope they are good for the winter!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Someone is selling four new Haka 7s w/ studs for $500, was for their xc90 but they sold it. Problem is they are 18" and would like to go 17". Not the end of the world but I would rather save to buy volvo oem rims next year instead of aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts