SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm shopping for 18" winter wheels for my 2009 XC90 3.2 AWD. I already have good winter tires (they came with the car) but the previous owner had them mounted on the stock rims every winter, which I don't want to do since I usually swap the wheels myself and I don't want to deal with mounting, rebalancing, possibility of scratching the edges of the rims during the process, etc.

I came across the following replica Volvo Atlantis rims:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/18-Silver-XC...Accessories&hash=item416604124f#ht_1727wt_983

The price is good but I've never bought replica wheels before so I don't know what to expect in terms of quality. Are these considered OK or usually junk?

Alternatively, Tire Rack has some nice American Racing rims, which is a known brand.

Thanks,
cinergi

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The reviews on Ebay seem good........that said, a phone call to Tire Rack may get you additional information and probably be worth the time.

Let us know what you decide...........

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
i would pass on those wheels for a few reasons.
they are xc90 style wheels for smaller volvos. I think the center bore on wheels for the smaller vehicles is smaller than the center bore of the xc90. i guessed this was done by the factory for safety reasons, and the wheels for the smaller cars are not sturdy enough for the weight of the xc90.

they are probably the same price as used factory wheels, and factory wheels have a reputation of NOT bending, cracking, etc.

I would also skip the wheels offered by tire rack or discount tire because once they sell out of a wheel they are gone. I have three brand new 16x8" wide wheels from tire rack for an e36. good luck finding a third, or a buyer. unfortuneately my rear caliper is about 1mm too big to run them on my old M3. they are now taking up space in the garage, and i dont think i will ever find a fourth, so getting an unstaggered set for the track is hopeless. fortunately i didnt throw away that much money for them.

factory wheels are always the easiest sell. find a set of take offs, or good used. that's what i did, and if I did it, it must the the correct thing to do! ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tommm, I also wondered whether these wheels are actually for an XC90, or just XC90 style since the description is ambiguous. I asked the seller (no reply so far).

I've looked at used factory wheels but the prices seem to be quite high - higher than these wheels as well as those on Tire Rack, which are brand new. Furthermore, the problem with used wheels is the possibility of hairline fractures or other invisible defects that could grow over time.

I'll have to consider this further...

Thanks!
cinergi

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
i called the dealer we bought the car from and asked if they had any take offs. they had a set that they said were ugly because brake dust was burned on to them. i got the set for $300. they were winter wheels, so i didnt care about the brake dust. about a year later i was washing the car in cold weather and decided not to wash the wheels. instead i grabbed the spray bottle of wheel cleaner.

yep, the acid in the wheel cleaner took the burned brake dust off and the wheels look fine. plus they are the better looking wheels from the 07 i think, not the semi unattractive neptunes that the car came with. they get the new summer tires in the spring.

here is a guy parting out an xc90 with the 2.9 http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3321960982.html
here is another being parted out http://denver.craigslist.org/ptd/3372508284.html
wheels with used snows. just what you want http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3302737973.html

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've confirmed with the eBay seller that the replica wheels are NOT intended for an XC90, but rather for smaller vehicles as Tommm noted above.

I'll search for some genuine Volvo used wheels, otherwise go with the ones on Tire Rack...

Thanks to all!
cinergi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts