41 - 60 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
3,818 Posts
to replace the 21" summer wheels.
Not quite it... why the size?

Winters are mean't to be destroyed, curbed, pitted, salted, cheaper and rarely cleaned being it's freezing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The DM V1's have plenty of reviews on tirerack. When I compare those to the OEM all season tires, the Blizzaks rank better in basically all areas... including noise. so i'd like to pose the question again based on that: Why shouldn't i use these as all seasons? Am I missing something?

Blizzak
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-V1#RatingsReviews

OEM continentals
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...toYear=2016&autoModel=XC90&autoModClar=T6 AWD
Don't run winter tires year-round; you'll wear them out too quickly. It's cheaper to get two pairs of tires and switch every 6 months then trying to run winters year-round.

Winter tires have much softer rubber compounds which work well in cold temperatures (e.g., they stick to ice) but end up being poor in warm temperatures (e.g., will melt to hot asphalt in the summer and wear out way too quickly). Additionally, the tires will be very soft and won't deliver the same type of ride in warm temperatures as it will in cold.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't mean to challenge you... but the reviews say the wear is BETTER on the Blizzaks and worse on the OEM all seasons. thoughts?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don't mean to challenge you... but the reviews say the wear is BETTER on the Blizzaks and worse on the OEM all seasons. thoughts?
Yes, if you compare wear on winter tires in cold weather to wear on all-seasons over the course of the year, that may very well be true.

But if you use winter tires on 100+ degree asphalt in the heart of the summer, they will absolutely wear out more quickly than all-season tires.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Blizzaks are stud-less category. Drive them in the warm if you want to waste a lot of money. The performance winter category is not as bad for this, but still not the same as all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts

Winters are mean't to be destroyed, curbed, pitted, salted, cheaper and rarely cleaned being it's freezing.
I've always wondered. What should you look for in a good winter rim?

Up until now I've used those ugly steel wheels for my winter tires, but if I get this car, I'll want alloy rims for the winters (can't have the car look like $#*% for half of each year. What makes a good winter rim? Is there a special type of paint/finish we should look for to make it more salt/rust resistant? Fewer spokes so easier to clean? A specific type of construction that makes it better suited to winter (e.g., forged?)? Or is it just basically all the same as any other rim?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Also worth mentioning, in general, the studless category is not as good for dry conditions. They choose trade offs for ice and snow.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i am not so sure if i am willing to spend the extra money for winter and non-winter tires/wheels. seems like to much effort, cost and storage for me. i have never switched tired for my previous cars, not sure if its really worth it for me in north jersey for the 5-10 snow storms we have a year

·
3,818 Posts
What makes a good winter rim?

Smallest diameter possible for three big reasons.

1. Bigger sidewall for pot holes etc and more cushion on the sidewall height.
2. Tire's an rims will be significantly cheaper.
3. Snow won't chunk as easily inside the rim causing massive vibration. If you get a rim that just clears the brake caliper it almost self clean.

As far as look you have a trade off. Multispoke bbs style keep snow out of the rim but are harder to clean, where as 5 spokes are super easy to clean but snow will get in, I get massive vibration with my oem pegs when snow cakes up. This is also why I said run minimum diameter, it does get quite bad with large size rims.

As far as forged, it's not worth the money IMO. If you hit hard enough to crack or bend it's going to happen regardless most of the time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
What makes a good winter rim?

Smallest diameter possible for three big reasons.

1. Bigger sidewall for pot holes etc and more cushion on the sidewall height.
2. Tire's an rims will be significantly cheaper.
3. Snow won't chunk as easily inside the rim causing massive vibration. If you get a rim that just clears the brake caliper it almost self clean.

As far as look you have a trade off. Multispoke bbs style keep snow out of the rim but are harder to clean, where as 5 spokes are super easy to clean but snow will get in, I get massive vibration with my oem pegs when snow cakes up. This is also why I said run minimum diameter, it does get quite bad with large size rims.

As far as forged, it's not worth the money IMO. If you hit hard enough to crack or bend it's going to happen regardless most of the time.
Thanks! Extremely helpful. I'm posting a pic from a different thread that shows the 18" rims that Volvo sells as part of their Accessory packages (in Canada they come paired with Michelin X-Ice 2 tires for $2800). Looking at this, would you go any smaller than 18s on this car? How would you feel about 19s for winter?

And I guess based on what you're saying this type of rim would be very prone to snow build-up / vibration?

·
3,818 Posts
Thanks! Extremely helpful. I'm posting a pic from a different thread that shows the 18" rims that Volvo sells as part of their Accessory packages (in Canada they come paired with Michelin X-Ice 2 tires for $2800). Looking at this, would you go any smaller than 18s on this car? How would you feel about 19s for winter?

And I guess based on what you're saying this type of rim would be very prone to snow build-up / vibration?

They look good but yes they would be more prone to build up, that said if they are the minimum clearance rim as far as diameter they should still be pretty good. Like I said the brakes calipers literally clean the wheels out when snow chunks up. That said when I have an inch or bigger in clearance like my 18's the vibration is horrible but when I run my 17's (Minimum clearance rim for the R) I rarely get anything. So with that said the only way to really stop it almost 100% is mesh or multispoke wheels like these.

I remember seeing someone on the R forum actually had custom made steelies for his R, they were 17's an I have to say they were very aggressive looking an they definitely keep out the snow + you care a whole lot less. That said, your definitely on the right track!

·
Registered
962 Posts

size has very little to do with what you mentioned that more of a finish issue than size. i've used 20" and 21" winter/snow/ice wheel and tire combos without issue or complaint through urban, suburban and rural areas. i am sure an 18" would be more pleasurable and much cheaper i would not get the combination of fashion and function during winter use. since i drive the vehicle all year i want to appreciate it all year as well, not just spring and summer.

·
3,818 Posts
size has very little to do with what you mentioned that more of a finish issue than size. i've used 20" and 21" winter/snow/ice wheel and tire combos without issue or complaint through urban, suburban and rural areas. i am sure an 18" would be more pleasurable and much cheaper i would not get the combination of fashion and function during winter use. since i drive the vehicle all year i want to appreciate it all year as well, not just spring and summer.
Well I don't know what urban area's you drive but here in NY an CT the roads have holes up to 1ft deep, not to mention awful ice. I would never use a low pro as a winter tire, it has everything to do with function. If you can't see the obvious points I mentioned your missing something. I should elaborate better, what I mean by "destroyed" is dented or cracked, most people with any low profiles in NY know this. I've cracked 1 peg an dented 4 since the ownership of the R while trying to run higher sizes in the winter, I won't make that mistake with the other rides.

I have 18's for the summer an 17's for the winter just for the R, just as well as 20's for the summer and 19's for the winter on the S7. I couldn't imagine driving any luxury car on horrible, bumpy NY roads with anything other then 40 series or above sidewalls.

Just for fun, why would Audi sell the smallest diameter rim an the largest series sidewall as their winter performance package for a car like the S7?

·
Banned
763 Posts
i am not so sure if i am willing to spend the extra money for winter and non-winter tires/wheels. seems like to much effort, cost and storage for me. i have never switched tired for my previous cars, not sure if its really worth it for me in north jersey for the 5-10 snow storms we have a year
I'm in Illinois and used snow tires for the first time last winter on one van. Never going back. Bought another set + rims for the second van. I just put the winters on one van, and will do them for the second once I get the second set out of the basement.

·
Registered
258 Posts
NY / CT have the worse roads in the country though. Major traffic, tons of huge trucks, cold weather. Certainly makes sense to have smaller tires, but a pretty special area for crap roads.

·
Registered
487 Posts
All good points above. I ran super basic black steel winter wheels on my previous vehicles, and would have gladly put them on my new XC90 (had I been able to source them). I thought they actually looked better than the alloys LOL. If anyone finds a steel winter wheel option for an XC90 I might consider NOT running the 20's, but since this is the first model year and there were literally no options in the US when I ordered, I had the 20"s fitted with blizzaks for my November delivery. Even Steel wheels (with no vents) can vibrate if snow gets blown in or stuck in the wheel. The only time this ever really happens is when you plow through a snow bank while making a turn. If you are driving through un-packed snows on the road, you will rarely have problems with snow creating vibrations.

Agreed... If you drive your winter tires in the summer, your vehicle's handling will become awful, sloppy, rolly and downright dangerous at speed in corners with such soft compounds + they will wear on the edge blocks quickly (where you really want square edges for cornering traction in winter).

41 - 60 of 736 Posts