SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

721 - 736 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
You are fine till you hit about 5/32 or less than 4mm. After that the tire isn’t as grippy as it should be. You are at 6.30mm now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
FYI if anyone was considering the Nokian winter-focused "all weather" tire, they are heavily discounted right now. I just ordered these for my 21" rims:

https://www.amazon.com/40-21-Nokian-Season-540AA-2754021/dp/B01N9QVY2N
Thank you for the link. I monitored these set since Feb. Price was around $570 a set of 4. A decent price. Then went up to $780. Still a good price. And suddenly down to $245 end of July. It's a no brainer at that price. Bought a set right away.

A week after I bought it.... went back up to $380 for another week before it's sold out.

$245 taxes in shipped for a set of 4.

Thank you again for the link!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just put these on today. I searched high and low for a nice set of 18's that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and would be to OEM specs. Ultimately, none of the OEM options appealed to me as they were too narrow and the offset was too conservative.

This is my first winter set where it's not a dedicated winter ... more a mild A/T tire that looks to have tread closer to winter tires. We'll see how she goes.

Fifteen52 Integrales
18x8.5 ET30
Drilled from blanks to OEM specs (no rings or spacers)

Mounted on Yokohama Geolander G015
265/60/18 (diameter is <1" greater than OEM 20s)

·
Registered
16 Posts
For reference, here are the packages my dealer is offering near Toronto. Prices in CAD, and their promo is $250 off (+ $70 Michelin rebate).
I ended up buying the 18" XC60 package for my XC90.

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
dealers

For reference, here are the packages my dealer is offering near Toronto. Prices in CAD, and their promo is $250 off (+ $70 Michelin rebate).
I ended up buying the 18" XC60 package for my XC90.

The pricing on winter sets from dealers are too high IMO. Tire rack (or other non dealer options) can set you up for way less. I spent about 1450 sipped for wheels and tires (went to 19" rims and did the cooper studless snow/ice tires)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm in NY so I take the most measures possible to avoid these problems/factors.

1. Run the smallest rim diameter possible for winters, why? The tristate is horrible when it comes to pot holes, especially with roads contracting an expanding + the plows ripping up everything. Smaller rim means bigger tire, bigger tire means larger sidewall which in tern means more cushion for huge holes in the road.

2. Run thinner tires, why? you want as much weight to penetrate through the snow, a wide tire means you will be more prone to sliding/snowplaning when it's bad.

3. Running smaller rims means less rotational weight = more gas mpg. It also means the tires themselves will be much cheaper, especially when dealing with high sizes like 20+

4. Speed ratings mean nothing, weight ratings mean everything. If you do want to save you most likely don't even need a W rated let alone a Y rated so forget about speed, your not doing 100+. Always make sure you are atlas or above the weight rating which is a separate number, load bearing is the most crital of all, going under will result in a bad situation.

Just for fun, I run OEM 18 pegs in the summer with michelin PS3's 235/40/18 but when winter rolls around I run OEM 17's w/blizzaks 215 or 225/50/17.
Fellow Tri-state NYer here as well! Albany and their potholes!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am considering just switching to A/T tires year round. I live in CA so they aren't really needed but I do head to the mountains several times a year (mostly in the winter) and I am not sure if switching between the Scorpians that are on there and a set of A/T or winter tires makes sense for the 10ish times I am in the mountains. That said I am not entirely confident that the Scorpians are going to be good enough anytime the snow gets more than a few inches deep.

I also love efficiency and don't want to punish my eMPG too much by getting more aggressive tires year round when I don't need them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a shameless plug here, I am selling my set of OEM 19s (model 177) that I bought for my 2016 XC90 with their Nokia’s Hakkapellita R3s mounted over on the classified wheel/tire thread. They’re in pretty new shape, if anyone is thinking about a set for the winter but is on the fence because of cost. Having had them as an alternative to the 21s (which I used in the summer) I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've decided NOT to have a full set of winters/AT with rims that I will swap. I think I am just going to put on some Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 tires and keep them on all year. Might take a slight hit on MPG but I think I can live with that.

From what I've read these are far better in the WS (Wet and Snow) than the stock scorpians and almost the same performance wise in the dry. This sounds like a good combo for me here in CA where I am not driving in snow/ice everyday.

If anyone has an opinion on the above or advice I am more than happy to take it :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Another option if not considered already is to use your same (summer) rims and put winter tires on it. Some say it's not good to do this for various reasons however.

721 - 736 of 736 Posts