SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the 19' wheels on the momentum XC90. For winter I plan to get 18' wheel and winter tyres. They are much cheaper (about 1500 euros) and better on snow and ice than the bigger sizes. I would only consider getting the more expensive 19' (about 2000 euros), if changing to a smaller rim required resetting or re-configuring the car by the dealer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
In my experience the Nokians are unbelievable. Nice to see Volvo selling those as an accessory. I've yet to see any car manufacturer in North America do that, the Nokians are just not that popular here. My time with the X-Ice2 and X-Ice3 is also pretty spectacular. You can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First thing, Maxwell, if you're looking for the inscription wheels, pm me, because I would consider selling mine. Also, anyone interested in the subject of winter tires should see Car and Driver's recent test of the six leading snow tires. The Nokians (Hakka r2) won, but they have lots of more or less objective data. Also, they illustrate the point of how much better even the worst snow tire is in cold weather than even the best all season tire.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I ordered a second set of the 8-spoke 21" inscriptions wheels and Nokian (275/40) winter tires.
<high-five> fashion and functionality meet. that's the way to do it. i've used the same size tire and wheel in 16" of snow and negative temps. only had a slight bit of issue on the ice patches but without studs almost every tire will have that problem.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I know this is not in the least bit helpful, but I'm so glad I don't have to worry about snow tires. I pay for that lack of worry in other ways, though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone in the east, Midwest or Rockies driven on the OEM all season tires and comment on how they handled? I realize that dedicated snows is the way to go ( had Pirelli ice and Bridgestone blizzaks on prior SUVs)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
If I don't want to spend the $$ on a Volvo wheel for winter, can I use a non-Volvo model and just buy the TPMS valve/sensors?
What is the wheel size I would need if going 19"?
Any brand or model recommendations?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am going with Niche Targa 20" X 8.5" with Michelin X-Ice

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Volvo dealer in Switzerland recommended Continental ContiCrossContact Winter tires for our XC90. So basically the winter version of our 19" Continental summer tires it came with. They were also recommended by a very large tire centre here. First snow expected this weekend, so we'll take it for a spin in the mountain and see how they perform!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The only tire that Costco sells for the 2016 XC90 is "Bridgestone - Blizzak DM-V2". Does anybody know much about these? Can I drive on them in the summer too? / Will I want to? Tiurerack doesnt have any reviews of them, and I am bit clueless on tires. I wouldn't want them to be noisey.

Bridgestone - Blizzak DM-V2

Item #: 469818
Manufacturer Part #: 015913
Tire Size: 235/55R19 105T
Season: Winter
Warranty: Basic Limited Warranty
Sidewall: Black Letter
Run Flat: N

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only tire that Costco sells for the 2016 XC90 is "Bridgestone - Blizzak DM-V2". Does anybody know much about these? Can I drive on them in the summer too? / Will I want to? Tiurerack doesnt have any reviews of them, and I am bit clueless on tires. I wouldn't want them to be noisey.

Bridgestone - Blizzak DM-V2

Item #: 469818
Manufacturer Part #: 015913
Tire Size: 235/55R19 105T
Season: Winter
Warranty: Basic Limited Warranty
Sidewall: Black Letter
Run Flat: N
I have these on my Santa Fe. They are very good winter tires, very grippy. But they are not a performance tire and they are loud when driven. I would not recommend them in the summer.

21 - 40 of 736 Posts