SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was just announced...so you are the 1st to know :)

Visit Stockholm or London with Overseas Delivery!!!
We are extremely happy to announce our 2012-2013 Winter Travel offer! This offer is valid on all new orders from August 29th, 2012. Your customers can treat themselves to a brand new Volvo and enjoy the winter vacation of their dreams. How does 3 nights in London or Stockholm sound? Add two nights in Gothenburg*, Sweden, and it becomes even more enticing. At only $995** for Stockholm and $1495** for London (for most models), for two people, it's the trip of a lifetime at a price that is simply too good to be true! If your customers take delivery of their new Volvo through Overseas Delivery by April 30th, 2013, they can take advantage of this incredible offer:
*One night on top of the regular OSD package for a total of two nights
**C30 - Stockholm $1,295 and London $1,795
- Valid on all new orders from August 29th, 2012.
- If your customer qualifies for the OSD loyalty offer (see incentives) and orders a custom car, they will be eligible for a total of 3 nights in Gothenburg if the Winter Travel Offer is purchased.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
So sports fans,

and future Volvo owners...

Which Olympic city will you visit with the Winter Travel Offer?

London - host of the 2012 Olympic games this summer.

or

Stockholm - host of the 1912 Olympic games a century ago.

There's lots of history in both of these unique cities to explore!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Sorry, William,

Neither...not with that offer anyway...

I am as much fan of OSD as it could be, but those offers are not attractive...with the exception of rich and lazy people who cannot make their own reservations maybe...

The price for the side trips used to be great, later - reasonable...not anymore...

What gives? Sincere question...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm disappointed. Guess we've been holding out for no reason. Oh well. Maybe we'll design our own side trip. We should be able to find our way to Rome for a couple days for somwhere close to the London trip price tag

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sorry, William,

Neither...not with that offer anyway...

I am as much fan of OSD as it could be, but those offers are not attractive...with the exception of rich and lazy people who cannot make their own reservations maybe...

The price for the side trips used to be great, later - reasonable...not anymore...

What gives? Sincere question...

Wow........rich and lazy......that kind of hurts my feelings......(actually the fees are quite a bit higher than the package to Stockholm last year when we went...)

(I assume you are not a fan of the Volvo Overseas Adventure program either???)

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Wow........rich and lazy......that kind of hurts my feelings......

(I assume you are not a fan of the Volvo Overseas Adventure program either???)
I was being sarcastic...but on the serious note, I can arrange the similar trip for 1/2 of the cost...The Volvo programs are for those who like to travel in-style and use the corporate travel agents for all arrangements...I just did not grow to that category yet...;)

3 nights in Stockholm which is just 4 h drive away from the delivery center for $1300? Come on. It borders to the ridiculous...I stay in very center of Stockholm for ~$100 per night...even with the entertainment and food - my G-borg - Stockholm roundtrip will be 1/2 of the proposed price.

Cheers...

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I was being sarcastic...but on the serious note, I can arrange the similar trip for 1/2 of the cost...The Volvo programs are for those who like to travel in-style and use the corporate travel agents for all arrangements...I just did not grow to that category yet...;)

Cheers...
Thanks Lev...........I feel better now!!! :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Looks like we may be about ready to go with that order William ;)
Doesnt seem like those other guys want my money

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3 nights in Stockholm which is just 4 h drive away from the delivery center for $1300?

Lev...

Stockholm is $995 for every model except the C30. And when you consider the time and fuel cost to drive back to Goteborg and add in the Stockholm Card, it is really not as expensive as you make it sound.
I agree that the trips in yrs past were more reasonably priced. I did a Dublin trip when it was just $595. But the world economy has changed and costs for travel have gone up.
The prices reflect the increases that we are all having to deal with....but there are some people who enjoy having someone else do the legwork, and for them, the side trips are still attractive.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

3 nights in Stockholm which is just 4 h drive away from the delivery center for $1300? Come on. It borders to the ridiculous...I stay in very center of Stockholm for ~$100 per night...even with the entertainment and food - my G-borg - Stockholm roundtrip will be 1/2 of the proposed price.

Cheers...
But if you're Euro-phobic, having everything taken care of would be a good thing. I always get asked about driving in Europe (like it is hugely different from driving here). Language and currency questions follow. It is all, pardon the expression, foreign, to most people; therefore it is scary.

I look on all that as an adventure. I was nervous about it during our first trip to Europe so had the first few nights of hotel pre-arranged. We flew into Frankfurt and drove to Heidelberg. I figured the journey was short enough and early enough in the day that, even if we encountered problems (and were highly jet lagged), we'd be able to get to the hotel.

Remember that a huge % of Americans have never been out of the country. A large % of those who have only went to Canada, Mexico, or an island-hopping cruise. Many who have been to Mexico and the islands went all-inclusive and were "protected" from experiencing the locals.

When you can drive for days (at highway speeds) without leaving the country, going to another country is an oddity.

I hate to admit the number of people who have asked me if "they drive on the right side of the road there [mainland Europe]". Um, only in the British Isles do they drive on the left side. And driving on the left side really isn't a big deal -- you have to think about it for the first day or three; then it becomes automatic. The first time I did it (NZ) I was nervous; Ireland and England/Wales (different trips) were then easy.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
3 nights in Stockholm which is just 4 h drive away from the delivery center for $1300?

Lev...

Stockholm is $995 for every model except the C30. And when you consider the time and fuel cost to drive back to Goteborg and add in the Stockholm Card, it is really not as expensive as you make it sound.
I agree that the trips in yrs past were more reasonably priced. I did a Dublin trip when it was just $595. But the world economy has changed and costs for travel have gone up.
The prices reflect the increases that we are all having to deal with....but there are some people who enjoy having someone else do the legwork, and for them, the side trips are still attractive.
Cor..r..r..ect. That's what I said...in my usual abrasive tone...I like to be in control though...and $995 vs. $1295 do make a difference...I was going by the price in the post...

...and I do understand people who like to be taken care of...people like cruises and all-inclusive resorts...I, on the other side, would be bored to death there...an overnight ferry is plenty of cruise experience for me...

·
Registered
110 Posts
My experience w/Winter Travel Offer

Since I had never been to Europe and was a bit hesitant about choosing hotels, flts, etc, I took ADVANTAGE of the winter travel offer last Oct to Paris. We were picked up by chauffeur from Gothenburg, brought to the airport and had a car waiting for us when we arrived to take the scenic route into Paris and bring us to our wonderful hotel 1 block from the Champs-Elysees. We woke for our delicious (included) breakfast every morn before starting our adventure for the day. We were there for 4 days. When returning once again we were picked up and brought to the Charles de Gaulle airport for our trip home. Everything went off without any problems. To us, it was worth every penny just for the piece of mind for the transport between airports and hotels in a timely manner. And also the yummy breakfast.:D

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Since I had never been to Europe and was a bit hesitant about choosing hotels, flts, etc, I took ADVANTAGE of the winter travel offer last Oct to Paris. We were picked up by chauffeur from Gothenburg, brought to the airport and had a car waiting for us when we arrived to take the scenic route into Paris and bring us to our wonderful hotel 1 block from the Champs-Elysees. We woke for our delicious (included) breakfast every morn before starting our adventure for the day. We were there for 4 days. When returning once again we were picked up and brought to the Charles de Gaulle airport for our trip home. Everything went off without any problems. To us, it was worth every penny just for the piece of mind for the transport between airports and hotels in a timely manner. And also the yummy breakfast.:D
It sounds like you're the perfect person for the offer (or the offer is perfect for a person like you) -- no matter what gascos80 may say.

Mary and I discussed the program but decided it wasn't for us -- we want to get out and explore (and are willing to risk "bad experiences").

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
...we want to get out and explore (and are willing to risk "bad experiences").
...so do we...

I am sincerely curious...since when "rich and lazy" in apparently jovial context became offensive in this country? Especially on the VOLVO OSD forum?

...and since when pointing out an apparently bloated price tag is bad, but selling an overpriced package as advantages is good?

I do put my money where my mouth is and never hesitate to share the ways to travel for less and get more...and besides the price tag...

I travel 3 times for the price of one...the research, the reading, the learning about places you want to go to, the communication with the people at your accomodations prior to the arrival...are just as cool and interesting as the trip itself...

...not to mention that the "yummy breakfast" at any hotel is 3 times as much and 1/2 as good as the same one in a small cafe' 1/2 block around the corner...and you miss the opportunity to mingle with the morning crowd and learn a couple of thing about that very country that you pay so much to visit...

I guess, personal choices is not a subject for a discussion...however, marketing pitches - are...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I am sincerely curious...since when "rich and lazy" in apparently jovial context became offensive in this country? Especially on the VOLVO OSD forum?
"Jovial" is difficult to detect in online writing. Without tone and body language, "nasty" and "sarcasm" (or "jovaility") seem the same. That's why I'll often put pseudo-HTML around my comments when I believe my remarks can be hard to differentiate. "How could you be so stupid not to know these things?" seems nasty. <sarcasm>"How could you be so stupid not to know these things"</sarcasm> not so much.

...and since when pointing out an apparently bloated price tag is bad, but selling an overpriced package as advantages is good?
Providing advice is a nice thing to do. But bloated is a value judgement. The ability to make one call and take care of all arrangements has value. (but not so much to me, and obviously you). And, as I've already mentioned, the tone in which you point that out can matter.

I guess, personal choices is not a subject for a discussion...however, marketing pitches - are...
Oh, they absolutely are subjects for discussion.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
It is getting even more interesting...

So, since when " rich and lazy" equates to "stupid" in this country?

I cannot see how "rich and lazy" can be offensive in any context...or how it can be taken as not jovial...those two are a contradiction of terms if taken literally...

But I guess...people pick a word out of context and get offensive...I am curious by which one though...

As to the bloated - even a person who posted the OP admits that the prices bloated over the time...I remember when the same trip was $595...just a few short years ago...so, it is not a value judgment but a statement of fact...3-digit percent point price increase in 3-4 years - how else would you call it?

People had an ability to make one call and arrange the same trip for a small fraction of the advertised price...that's what I am trying to convey...

And the ONLY way to keep the prices down in the free market economy is to REJECT the bloated offers and go elswhere...

I understand, I pierce some personal bubbles...but it could be the good thing, wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I think David is right on......

If comments are made in a helpful, non judgemental way then that is the true blessing of this website. It is difficult to determine if that is the intent, or it intended to be more of an insult that your way is/was stupid and I know what's best.......both for me and you.

I like to think that there are certainly many ways to skin a cat, and I appreciate hearing all the different options available, then deciding which would best suite my needs. What I may want from one OSD experience may change if I ever get the chance to do it again.....

Thanks for all the different opinions......that is what makes the world go round!!! :)

(Lev-It was the lazy that I took exception to......people can be rich in many different ways, most of which are positive.)

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I think David is right on......

If comments are made in a helpful, non judgmental way then that is the true blessing of this website. It is difficult to determine if that is the intent, or it intended to be more of an insult that your way is/was stupid and I know what's best.......both for me and you.

I like to think that there are certainly many ways to skin a cat, and I appreciate hearing all the different options available, then deciding which would best suite my needs. What I may want from one OSD experience may change if I ever get the chance to do it again.....

Thanks for all the different opinions......that is what makes the world go round!!! :)

(Lev-It was the lazy that I took exception to......people can be rich in many different ways, most of which are positive.)
Moving away from "lazy", which is generally considered an antonym to the virtues that make people rich (that is why I used "and" not "or" to project the joke)...

I still puzzled to understand what is so offensive in my comment...

Greg?

Would you feel the same if you would KNOW that the offer used to be $595 and it is $1300 now? Would you still believe that it is advantages to YOU, the buyer, and not to the seller? Honestly?

I do not think that either Bob or William truly believe that the offers are attractive, or, at least as attractive as they were just a couple of years ago...(or I am really bad a judge of a character)...

Many things are NOT a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact...I seriously doubt that there is anyone out there who would say...Oh, great, the price for X is Y, which is twice as much as it used to be, I need to take ADVANTAGE of that great price increase...
This sounds like a bad joke...and that what the Internet forum which is supposed to be the source of information, not the source of deception should do...unfortunatelly, in this particular case, the OSD forum is a deception...the personalized relations were used against you...

Lastly...

I make mistakes too, and I am advised from time to time about those mistakes by the innocent observers...I might become angry...but I never take exception with the observer...only with the person who took advantage of me...

That is why I find this whole discussion really weird...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts