SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're tentatively taking delivery of an XC60 Polestar on January 21st (2020). Yeah, I know, January, Sweden, hope we like it cold. :)

The car will come with summer tires. The dealer thinks the delivery center will be able to rent us winter tires for our trip. Has anyone here dealt with anything like that? I've never heard of renting tires before.

If the dealer is wrong and there's no accomodation to be made at the delivery center, my inclination is to take delivery, take a lap around the test track, and then say "okay, that was fun" and have them go ahead and ship it. Then we'll rent a properly equipped car for the rest of our trip.

Thanks,
Jamie

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Has anyone here dealt with anything like that? I've never heard of renting tires before.
Congrats!
Yep, a few folks have. Have you tried searching the OSD thread for "winter tires"? I remember folks posting about their experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried searching the OSD thread for "winter tires"?
I did now. It looks like the latest info is from 2011. It sounds like we'll be able to figure it out one way or another.

Of course, our biggest fear is getting a dreaded "sorry, but there's no more allocation this year" message. We're a couple of weeks in and still no word. The dealer says it still says "pending" on the website.

Cross your fingers for us!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I did now. It looks like the latest info is from 2011. It sounds like we'll be able to figure it out one way or another.
A few folks did it this past winter. If in doubt, just call or email directly the friendly folks at the Sweden FDC (Factory Delivery Center) about it and you'll get the 411 straight from the horse's mouth!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think it depends on where you plan to go. We picked up our XC60 in the first part of March last year and the FDC said we didn't need to bother with winter tires. They would have been happy to rent us a set if necessary, since technically they are required in Sweden at that time of year. But we weren't planning on going all that far from Gothenburg, and they don't get too much snow there in any event. Also, they keep the roads in very good condition. So we just didn't bother.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We got our confirmation, so it's a go for January. We sort of wanted to turn the car in in Germany to avoid the trip back up to Sweden, but it sounds like if we rent tires, we'll need to go back to Gothenburg.

What a lovely problem to have. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts