SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter Tire Recommendations?

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some recommendations for snow tires for my Volvo. I'm looking for an unstudded snow tire that is good in the dry as well. I'm also hoping to find something that will last at least 3-4 winter seasons here in Colorado. We get pretty bad winters...so these tires need to be very good to be able to make it up into the mountains. I've heard of the Nokian and Vredestein brands which both seem like very good options for winter tires...but i haven't had any experience with them.
Any experience with these brands or any other winter tires fitting my description would be helpful, thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey everyone,

I am in the market for some winter tires and i've been hearing a lot about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. I have had their WR-G2's but im looking for something with a little bit better winter performance since i live in California and do go up in the mountains quite frequently.
The Hakka R seems to get pretty stellar reviews online, and i guess they are pretty reasonably priced in the size i need. I understand that Blizzaks and X-Ice's are cheaper but they are terrible - i've had them in the past and i have only got 1-2 seasons max out of them.
Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone had an experience with driving on the Nokians? Wasn't sure how they would hold up with aggressive winter driving.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I doubt you had the Xice2 because they are quite new.

The Blizzak are very good the first ~2 seasons and then get bad because they have Y shaped grooves so once you go past 50% wear you get only half of them.

I live in Canada, much worse conditions than any california roads (I've liked in Lake Tahoe and Alberta mountains so I know), I think Hakka, or even Xice2 are overkill.

Perosnally I am buying Michelins Xice2, that's what I have on my other car and they are great, on the truck I have studded Hakka 5 and they are awesome, but not meant to do a lot of dry pavement.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I have Hakka 5's on my V50, and Michelin X-Ice on the wife's S40. Personally, I wish I had hers because of how quiet they are! My Hakkas are loud and ok. Good in the snow, though.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I'm a long time Hakkapeliitta fan but I must say the "R" was a disappointment for me when compared to the previous "Q". I really didn't notice any better snow/ice traction & they wore out considerably faster. Have you actually checked the prices? Around here the Hakkas are considerably more money. I still think they are the best snow performance tire but not the best value. Not a big Blizzak fan unless you buy new every year. The Dunlops I tried sucked & wore out quickly. I have to say that the X-ice is my current favorite. Very good snow traction, reasonable dry handling & the price was right after a rebate promotion they had when I bought them. I believe Gislaved/General tires are the best value for the masses but give up just a bit of snow performance. It's a never ending search for the perfect blend of snow, ice, dry, price, etc. Be honest about which parameters are the most important to you. If you ran WR-G2s it sounds like dry handling & tire mileage are high on your list. The "R" will be a step back in both areas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just picked up a set of Hankook Winter I*Cept Evos, seemed like a good choice as most of my winter driving is on dry pavement

·
Registered
290 Posts
Gislaved - Have them for 4 seasons and lots of thread left.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hakkapeliitta RSI are great for all round winter driving. Excellent grip and I have gotten 5 winters out of my first set.

I tried them on my Ice Racer and they dont have same the Ice grip as the softer Blizzaks or x-Ice which do wear out faster.

Hakkapeliitta for my street car but Blizzaks or x-Ice for racing when Ice tracation is more importaint then Snow traction and wear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I ran Blizzak Revo 1's for 5 years (winter seasons) before I got to the first set of wear bars. I live in Alaska where our winters are much longer than most of you in the lower 48 and never had a problem with Blizzak's. I have been running Blizzak WS70's for the past 2 seasons and find them to also be top notch. What eats up a Blizzak, or any dedicated winter tire for that matter, is running them on warm asphalt in the summer, they will practically melt away. The tread compound is specialized for the cold winter months, they are not an all season tire.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some recommendations for snow tires for my Volvo. I'm looking for an unstudded snow tire that is good in the dry as well. I'm also hoping to find something that will last at least 3-4 winter seasons here in Colorado. We get pretty bad winters...so these tires need to be very good to be able to make it up into the mountains. I've heard of the Nokian and Vredestein brands which both seem like very good options for winter tires...but i haven't had any experience with them.
Any experience with these brands or any other winter tires fitting my description would be helpful, thank you!
I've used two brands:

General Altimax Artic- They were a slight improvement over all-seasons, but not enough to justify the cost of getting a set a four tires, IMO.

Bridgstone Blizzak- This is by far the better snow tire. If you absolutely, 100% need to get to where you're going in the snow, this is it. Once you get these on, go to a empty parking lot before the snow plowers get to it- the level of grip is amazing. The drawback was that by the end of the snow season, the tires started losing grip- it's because the little rubber nubs on the tire started wearing out. But I drove a lot that season.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Gilsvad nordfrost 5 on the s80(2) and firestone winterforce (4) on the xc, both excellent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
getting ready to pull the trigger on snows:
Down to 2 choices, the Hakka R or x-ice

X Ice- $30 cheaper
Hakkas - known to outlast anything else- possible offset the price difference.

Which is quieter?
Which is better in snow?

Any more input?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've used Falken EuroWinters, Gislaved 3s, Hankook Icebear w300s and the 439s.

For deep snow the 439s are good, they wear well and will help when you're driving down non plowed streets.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Pleased enough with the Nokian WR G2....

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Strange , but True - !

Squirrels - not just eating a lot , or Hiding Nuts , but Actually piling them in - Stock Piles !

Signs of a Hard Winter or Big Storms coming .

Just got 2 New -Conti Ex-streams - DWS - due to the Fact that the others form the Tire rack were from 2 different Countries , Built on Different Molds , Different Time of Yr. !_!_!

I had to get them balanced again , and again - those are Gone !

2 New Ones - Built in Brazil where most of the rubber comes from , built the same week , by the same
Mold & Person . read Guess What !
( Very Good Quality ) - lol - where have You heard about that - BS - Before !

:thumbdown: - TIRERACK ! :pic:
( When Tire Rack was asked to Please supply Tires from Brazil ) - They Informed Me that that wasn't possible - Last Fall , In fact they went on to say that they Mix them
on the Racks , and really Had - No good Method of Tracking for Point Of Sale ---- Build Date , Country etc. - Well I said to them :
Point Of Sale - as Customer is asking or requesting ? (
Point Of Sale ) LOL - that's the Entire Point - Pal !

They won't Sell - that way - You get what ever they have on Hand , so I asked If they be so Kind to
Check ? ( Nope ; don't want to take the time to Check ) -
could have been a Bad Clerk , but sure enough I got Lousy Tires last time !

·
Registered
957 Posts
We've had several sets of Blizzks on vehicles, including a Mustang 5.0L GT & a Gen I Lightning p/u. Great winter traction on snow/ice. I ran a pair of Firestone Winterforce tires on the frt wheels of my S40 10,000 mostly dry pavement miles several winters ago that we had over 100 inches of snow. Also great snow traction, same tread pattern as a Blizzak, just slightly harder rubber which gives longer trear life at the expense of slighty less grip on ice. But after 10,000 miles at highway speeds, 65-75 MPH, I'd say tread life would be from 30,000 to 40,000 miles.

If you need more traction than either of those two tires offer, you need a different vehicle. Plus the Winterforce is typically much less expensive than the Blizzak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts