SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
you don't want as much rubber as possible, narrower tires, smaller contact patch is the usual way to go.
True dat.

It's a common assumption that the bigger the better for snow tires--I've even seen it in supposedly knowledgeable "how to prep your car for winter" articles--but you don't want your tires riding ON the snow like big rubber snowboards, you want then penetrating down THROUGH the snow. On our Boxster, for example, I fit narrow[er] front-wheel 205 rims for snows on the back in place of the normal wide 225 rear tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 XC60 Momentum T5 with 20" wheels and live in Colorado. Last winter the factory Continental "all season" tires that came on it were okay, but I'm thinking I really need snow tires for winter. I didn't feel like my Volvo handled as well as my old Honda CRV. I don't seem to have great control in the snow with the all season tires that came on it. There are so many recommendations on here that are great. I'd like a tire I could use that won't blow my bank account. Which ones are the best for the best price? I appreciate any advice. I have noticed some people on here talking about changing out their wheels (not doing this, but would love to know the reason why) and "offset" numbers too (I don't know what that means.) Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2018 XC60 Momentum T5 with 20" wheels and live in Colorado. Last winter the factory Continental "all season" tires that came on it were okay, but I'm thinking I really need snow tires for winter. I didn't feel like my Volvo handled as well as my old Honda CRV. I don't seem to have great control in the snow with the all season tires that came on it. There are so many recommendations on here that are great. I'd like a tire I could use that won't blow my bank account. Which ones are the best for the best price? I appreciate any advice. I have noticed some people on here talking about changing out their wheels (not doing this, but would love to know the reason why) and "offset" numbers too (I don't know what that means.) Thanks!
For me, I opted to not purchase a 2nd set of wheels simply due to cost. I bought winters from Tire Rack and had them shipped to their distribution center near me.

I have a mobile service come out and dismount my all-seasons and mount and balance the winters. Total cost: under $125.99. I bought storage bags on Amazon and keep the tires inside in my storage area.

Reverse operation in the spring. Don’t need to even leave the house to change from from all-seasons to winters and then back.

I figure to get 3-4 winters out of my Pirelli Scorpion Winters. I love the look of my factory 21’s and I’m saving a lot by not purchasing 19’s with winters.

Agree it’s not the “best” setup with wide 21’s but it works for me. Call me cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
For my T8, do I need rims with a ET50 offset or higher (or lower)? I'm confused about positive and negative offsets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
soniahaxton....I also live in Colorado and I have 2 sets of wheels, 1 with all season and 1 with Blizzaks.
If I were to do one set of wheels I would run Nokian WR tires all year round.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tires: you'll find lots of suggestions here (and other car message boards). I lived in CO years ago, skiing literally every weekend, and then some. I found almost any dedicated snow tire to be good enough out there. If you get more hardpacked snow and ice, then you want something with those silica compounds like Blizzaks, Nokian Hakka(my favorite), etc.

If you lease a car for 3yrs or whatever, just mounting/remounting tires is fine, and possibly cheaper than buying a 2nd set of wheels, depending on the wheel choice, obviously. If you tend to keep cars a long time, like I typically do, a second set of wheels/tires is easier/cheaper. I had an MB E320 wagon for 20yrs, 2 sets of wheels from day one. Definitely cheaper and easier over that period of time.

Here's an article that explains offset. If you change wheel widths, getting the wrong offset has huge effects on handling/steering.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Here's an article that explains offset. If you change wheel widths, getting the wrong offset has huge effects on handling/steering.
I've read that article before. What I'm trying to understand is if my OEM wheels are a 51ET offset, should I be looking for rims that are 30-50ET or 50-60ET?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am getting 17".
The tire place was crazy busy today because we had our first snowfall last night. Even with having an appointment, I still ended up being there for 3.5 hours. The tire store had recommended 17" rims with the Nokian Hak 9 studded tires so that's what I ordered in Sept. However the 17" rims would NOT fit because the brake calipers were larger on the 2019 XC60. Fortunately they had 18" rims but did not have the Hak 9 studded tires to fit. I ended up with Nordman 7 studded 235/60R18. The sales guy said that Nordman are still made by Nokia, have fewer studs, are less expensive and are quieter than the Hak 9s which I found to be true driving home. When I was about to leave I noticed that one of the plastic lug nut covers was missing. I checked with the tire guy and seems the technician lost it while changing the tires. They have ordered another one.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Finally found some used 18 inch Momentum wheels on eBay (part number 31471435). Mounted 235/60/R18 Michelin Latitude X-Ice XI2 winter tires on them for snowy months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
For my T8 I got a great deal on a new set of 19" Volvo rims on eBay and installed a set of Bridgestone BLIZZAK DM-V2 235/55R19 XL 105T tires.
I think these are great winter tires, huge improvement in winter conditions compared to stock all season tires.
Last winter I did 3500miles on them and afterwards I had left 9.1mm thread on the front and 8.5mm on the rear tires (brand new they have 10mm).
IMG_4945.jpg
IMG_4651.jpg
IMG_4652.jpg

·
Registered
480 Posts
To keep with the Swedish theme of Volvo, I switched from Blizzaks (used on all my other vehicles) to Nokian Hakkapeliittas R3 on the XC60... went with 18" wheels as I like more sidewall on a snow tire...

20191116_132848.jpg 20191116_132858.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
To keep with the Swedish theme of Volvo, I switched from Blizzaks (used on all my other vehicles) to Nokian Hakkapeliittas R3 on the XC60... went with 18" wheels as I like more sidewall on a snow tire...
Well, Nokian is Finnish. Close enough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hakka R3's on 18's here too. Winter - bring it on!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts