SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

With the east coast digging out from the Blizzard of 2016, the subject of winter tires has become a topic during snow shoveling breaks. Tire tread patterns, air pressure and the rubber compound are all important variables that contribute to how a vehicle performs in various weather conditions and temperatures. When the temperatures drop to 45°F and under, temperature influences the rubber compound and even the best summer tires begin to lose their adhesion properties. Add several inches of snow on top of frozen pavement and tire performance changes significantly.

CLICK HERE for the full article

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've got a set of Michelin Alpin 4's on my XWD Saab and love them. They are also quite good on cold dry pavement.

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
I went to buy a set of really clean pegs last week that apparently had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's. I was sold on the super clean set of wheels, and the tire after reading an article. These are from Finland I think, and are the KING of snow tires. Everyone loves them, and they're rated VERY well. Next car will have two sets, as I agree with Chris' mention of DC's crazy weather. I ended up opting out of the set of wheels because they were not R2s, and while super clean and supposedly stored in a temp controlled environment, the date codes scared me: 2005. 11 years old is just too ancient for me to trust.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I went with 16" steelies and General Altimax Arctic in 215/55/16. I'm glad I did. Only one real snowstorm up here in Maine; about 6" of unplowed road and they performed great. The major 2016 storm dumped 0" here. Still I'm glad I have snows.

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts
I went with 16" steelies and General Altimax Arctic in 215/55/16. I'm glad I did. Only one real snowstorm up here in Maine; about 6" of unplowed road and they performed great. The major 2016 storm dumped 0" here. Still I'm glad I have snows.
We too had the General's on our V50 T5 AWD. A very good winter tire for a reasonable price and which does not feel like a marshmallow in dry winter driving conditions. Bought them again for our current BMW Sport Wagon.

·
Registered
2004 Ice White XC90 2.5T AWD Premier
33 Posts
I picked up a set of Nokian Hakkapeliita 2's at my job(work for Point S/Tire Factory) for my wife's 240DL. Even though they're the old model of their stellar Hakkapeliita line. They perform great in all conditions. I'll be picking up a new set of Hakkapeliita 8's this next season. They do so well in deep snow, heavy slush, ice and that wet, heavy crap you see in parking lots. Firm believer that Nokian makes the best tires out there for the value. Also running their Entyre 2.0's for everyday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts