Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 30.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, winter is coming so I'm starting to look for a set of winter wheels and tires for my '13 S60 T5 AWD. My current wheels are stock 215/50 R17 and I'm thinking about sticking with the same size for winter. Is it smart, or should I go size down? I feel like 16s would look too silly. I live in southern Wisconsin.

OK looking rims + Pirelli Sottozero 3 + TPMS = $1,280 + shipping on tirerack. Anyone had any experience with pirellis? They seem to have great ratings on Tirerack. I called one of our local Nokkian distributors, and R2s in the same size come to 250 + cost of mounting and balancing vs. ~$140 per pirelli tire. Is it worth it? I mean, it's almost $500 extra for a set of four...

Any input/advice/tip would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
17,311 Posts
Get Hakka 7's. Yes, nokians are worth it. All they make is snow tires and they really are the best around by miles. Far better braking than any other snow tire.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Blizzak W80 on the minivan, Blizzak LM-25 on the S60.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
My "other" is the Michelin Pilot Alpin. For the driving I do, they're great (mostly highways). The Hakka WRG2 would be a similar choice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Get Hakka 7's. Yes, nokians are worth it. All they make is snow tires and they really are the best around by miles. Far better braking than any other snow tire.
My driving is 70/30 highway/city. I feel like studded tires would drive me insane with their loudness. Plus, they are not allowed in Wisconsin (which I find interesting).

I'm suprised that no one has experience with Pirellis. They seem to rank very well in all categories...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi all, winter is coming so I'm starting to look for a set of winter wheels and tires for my '13 S60 T5 AWD. My current wheels are stock 215/50 R17 and I'm thinking about sticking with the same size for winter. Is it smart, or should I go size down? I feel like 16s would look too silly. I live in southern Wisconsin.

OK looking rims + Pirelli Sottozero 3 + TPMS = $1,280 + shipping on tirerack. Anyone had any experience with pirellis? They seem to have great ratings on Tirerack. I called one of our local Nokkian distributors, and R2s in the same size come to 250 + cost of mounting and balancing vs. ~$140 per pirelli tire. Is it worth it? I mean, it's almost $500 extra for a set of four...

Any input/advice/tip would be much appreciated!
I thought about snow tires last winter (first winter for my new 2014 S60 T5 AWD). Well, i never got around to it, and quite frankly, I'm glad i didn't waste the money. The car was an absolute tank with the OEM conti's. For me, I've decided that as long as my all season tires are in good shape, I will not be putting snow tires on this car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about snow tires last winter (first winter for my new 2014 S60 T5 AWD). Well, i never got around to it, and quite frankly, I'm glad i didn't waste the money. The car was an absolute tank with the OEM conti's. For me, I've decided that as long as my all season tires are in good shape, I will not be putting snow tires on this car.
I know I could get by, even though Wisconsin winters are cold and I have absolutely no confidence in my MXM4s when it comes to any amount of snow or ice.

I drive ~20k miles per year. If I get winter tires, my all-seasons are going to last longer as they won't be used for 5 months each year. Not getting winter wheels would save me ~650 bucks in rims and TPMS, tires are a wash. Truly, the only difference is that I have to buy another set of tires "upfront". I'm not wealthy, but having proper tires for the season is absolutely worth $650 in my mind

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I know I could get by, even though Wisconsin winters are cold and I have absolutely no confidence in my MXM4s when it comes to any amount of snow or ice.
Never had any issues with the Michelin MXM4's in the snow or ice when we had our 2013 S60 T5 AWD, thought they were actually better than OEM tires that were on my 2012 S60RD (Continental ProContacts), but then again we had the smaller 17x7 (215/50/R17) Balder wheels so they cut through the snow fairly well. Hopefully I'll be able to get a full set up down the road for my V60RD as I'm not a huge fan of the Pirelli P7's (not the newer Plus version of the tire) in icy conditions; doable, but not great.

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check out this thread that I started last October on this very question:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3-or-Nokian-Hakkapeliitta-R2
oh great, thanks. Are you so far happy with your R2s? How's the threatwear? I will be putting 10,000 / winter on my set. Do you think they will last 4 years?

I jsut went to a local discount tire store. 17in steel wheels with TPMS and Pirellis - $1,261.78 tax incl. The same thing with Hakkapeliita R2 comes to 1,519.20. You guys are really skewing me towards R2s.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I got the Pirellis, which was the only thing Tire Rack had in stock in my size at the time. These are performance winter tires as opposed to a total snow tire like the Blizzaks. Between the AWD and the winter tires, my car laughs at Chicago winters.

The real question is, do you need a winter tire or a snow tire? While the snow tire will cope with higher amounts of snow, you will lose more dry road performance and ride as a consequence.

Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
oh great, thanks. Are you so far happy with your R2s? How's the threatwear? I will be putting 10,000 / winter on my set. Do you think they will last 4 years?

I jsut went to a local discount tire store. 17in steel wheels with TPMS and Pirellis - $1,261.78 tax incl. The same thing with Hakkapeliita R2 comes to 1,519.20. You guys are really skewing me towards R2s.
I've also read in multiple places that R2 are very prone to aquaplaning. Any comments?

Stormin, what is the treadwear like so far? In general, are you happy with them? Would you buy again?

·
Registered
289 Posts

I am very happy with the R2s. Treadwear is excellent. I probably put on 5-6K miles on them and they still look brand new. Based on the current level of wear and the wear of my previous Conti ExtremeWinterContacts, I bet you'll get 40K out of them. No issues with hydroplaning that I've noticed. They are surprisingly quiet too. I will probably put them back on in mid-November.

FWIW, I put GoodYear UltraGrip Winter tires on my wife's Toyota Sienna. With those and the Sienna's AWD, that thing is invincible on snowy roads! And the wear after two winters is non-existent. Quiet tire as well.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've also read in multiple places that R2 are very prone to aquaplaning. Any comments?

Stormin, what is the treadwear like so far? In general, are you happy with them? Would you buy again?
While I have not measured the tires, two seasons of winter use seems to have incurred very little wear judging by the visible tread depth.

I have no complaint with these tires, which seem to be superior to the Dunlops I had on my 850, though this is not a fair comparison. Only once in two years have I been required to back the car up to make another push through snow. Never had an issue with the tires breaking loose or sliding.

Not having driven on a comparable Michelin or Bridgestone, I dunno which is better. LIke I said, this was the only choice Tire Rack had in my size in early December when I realized that the OEM Michelin MXV is a joke in the snow. Spring, summer and fall I use Michelin Pilot AS3, I can attest that this is the finest AS tire I have ever used, as long as snow is avoided.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'm considering just getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's to replace my Pirelli P7 Cinturato's (not the Plus) instead of going full winter, which I generally don't need around the Mid-Atlantic with AWD.

Any experiences with the A/S 3's in winter driving? Any opinions on the Michelin's vs. the P7's (regular or Plus)? Tire Rack rates them well below the P7's in snow and ice. The P7 Plus tires are ranked very high; you'd think they were winter tires.

Thanks!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=44YR9PSAS3XL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volvo&autoYear=2015&autoModel=S60%20T6%20R-Design&autoModClar=

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Cinturato+P7+All+Season+Plus&partnum=34VR9CP7ASPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volvo&autoYear=2015&autoModel=S60%20T6%20R-Design&autoModClar=

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had Pirelli winter Sottozero on my old rear wheel drive RX-8. They were awesome; even in 6" of snow (also Chicago/Wisconsin area). Just bought a wheel tire set with General Arcticsomethingorother - we'll see how they do!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go with Nokian. They make great winter/snow tires.

I have the Hakka R2 on our V60 RD (225/45/18) and WR G3 on Mini Countryman All4. Both tires perform just excellent in cold climate, icy and heavy snow covered roads. (we live in Southern NH, commute to Boston, ski in Northern NH and VT)

I also put on 5-6k miles on the R2 since Jan/2015 and they look brand new. For the WR G3, this winter will be the 3rd season and still got plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not the expert on winter tires but it's worth mentioning that reason the Nokian Hakkas are popular in N Amer is because it's one of a (very) few tires Canadians can run year round that meet the winter tire laws. On that note, I can't imagine it's the end all, be all of winter tires - just convenient if you don't want to switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a new S60 owner (2015.5 T5 AWD). I'll give the Contis a try this winter in MN. I had the Nokian All Season on my Saabs all year round, and they were superb,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts