SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having just acquired my 2015 V60 with Sport package (never thought I'd have a car with 19" rims!) a week ago, I'm now in the position that I'm scrambling to find rims and tires before the snow flies.

I've considered some new options from various tire retailers but am especially enamoured with a set of used rims that came off a 2004 V70r I've seen posted locally. I've gone mad googling to see if these would fit my car (tire size appears good (235 45 17), rim *appears* to be a match (9Jx17 ET40), but I'm not sure if there's another measure I should be checking? Center bore or something like that (forgive my ignorance, still learning).

I turn to the experts...would these rims fit my car? Does the center bore match?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I answered my own question. My current car appears to have a CB of 63.4. The 2004 v70r has a CB of 65.1. At least according to my research. No dice!

Sorry to waste people's time!

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
Would be better if you tried 225/50 R17s - that circumference difference is 2.1%.

Various outlets sell hub rings for the 65.1 to 63.4 difference so that shouldn't necessarily be a concern.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah if size and bolt pattern match up tire rack will ship you wheels with the appropriate hub-centric rings already installed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Would be better if you tried 225/50 R17s - that circumference difference is 2.1%.

Various outlets sell hub rings for the 65.1 to 63.4 difference so that shouldn't necessarily be a concern.
Volvo Canada is recommending 215/50R17 winter tire packages for all sports suspension and R Design S/V60's rather than the 225/50R17's, though. They recommend the latter for the S80.

In the end I opted for the 215's. They'd reprogram the speedometer to be accurate for the smaller height 215 tires.

Either would work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Volvo dealer said they'd make a software change so the speedometer would be accurate. A smaller wheel than your current means the tire turns (wears) more to maintain the same speed as the larger current wheels. So your actual speed can be 5 kph or so slower at highway speeds than that registered on the speedometer unless it is adjusted. (Ref Tacoma web link above).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess that means my odometer would be off in that scenario as well? Showing less kms/mi than actually driven (by whatever percentage indicated on the Tacoma web link)?

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
I guess that means my odometer would be off in that scenario as well? Showing less kms/mi than actually driven (by whatever percentage indicated on the Tacoma web link)?
Actually, other way around. Since the circumference of the snows is smaller the wheel your odometer will read artificially high.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another question - I've found a set of 18 inch Pegs with winters locally. Seller indicates they're the right bolt pattern but have a 65.1 CB. He mentioned I could probably find hub centric rings to compensate and pointed me in the right direction. The ones he indicated were plastic - I would have thought they'd be metal - but I know nothing about these sorts of things.

The tires are 235/40/18s. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have plastic center rings in borbet winter wheels I bought from tire rack ages ago for another car. Didn't trust them much then, and, ironically, after so many years of them working just fine, still don't really trust them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Stigs. Yeah for some reason centering rings don't appeal to me, mainly because it doesn't feel like they can be trusted. I'm sure they're fine though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another seller has a set of 18" off of a 2012 S60 - I'm guessing they're a direct fit?

·
Registered
150 Posts
For what it is worth I had the same concerns about centering rings and spent a lot of time looking for the perfect rims. Gave up eventually and did everything on the discount tire website and everything worked great (at least for the first winter). If you like to have someone else switch out the rims they will also do this for free. I also got extra TPMS sensors so I don't have to switch those out.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I agree that in theory, plastic centering rings sound like a terrible idea, but provided you install your wheels with care, torquing gradually in a star pattern, you should be good. Of course if youre tracking the car it might be another matter, but for day to day use wouldn't sweat it too much. You can also obtain aluminum rings in custom size if that makes you feel safer. I have plastic myself with no problems yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts