SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Maryland where the winter's aren't all that bad. However, I spend a majority of my winter in Connecticut where things are a little different. Furthermore, I frequent ski areas where there (hopefully) is snow.

My cheap Chinese summer performance tires are a joke (even in the summer), so it makes sense to get a winter setup. On Tirerack I have it set to buy:

Wheels:

17x7.5 Sport Edition F2 Silver Painted
They don't look bad, and they're $103 a piece - is it smart for me to spend more on metal or is it all the same?

Tires:
General Altimax Arctic Blackwall
These are the (second) cheapest and they seem to be hardcore snow tires - anyone recommend them? They're studdable.

or....

Dunlop Graspic DS-3
These technically cost more (but there's a $40 rebate making them the cheapest), but they have lower ratings and seem less snow-worthy.

or....

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge
These are like $25 more than the Dunlops (after $50 rebate).

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I has the cheap f2 sports from tire rack. They are not bad and they grow on you :) but hey. It's winter, you don't need looks :
)

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,796 Posts
Research is your friend. Tire Rack offers quite a lot of information about winter tires and includes tests for a number of different brands/models of studless ice & snow tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/wintertesting.jsp

It's even more important to have good winter tires that handle/stop well. As others have said, paying a little more for good tires is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I just bought the Graspic in 225's so well see how they are in the snow. I had a set on my civic hatch and they were pretty good in the snow.

You don't need a hard core stud able snow tire in the r unless you live in the mountains and drive through a foot of fresh unplowed snow. I had a full on studded snow on my Subaru on winter and they sucked 99 percent of the time. Loud, lots of tire squirm, ect.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sometimes it snows so much it doesn't matter what tire you have!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to jump in with a mildly off topic question, but to use the f2's, do you need to remove the brake disc retaining bolt? I bought a used set and when I had my local tire place mount my snows to the rims they refused to put the wheels on the car because they didn't fit with the retaining bolt. I plan on mounting them myself after taking that bolt out, but wanted to double check that others have successfully done so.

Also- the the OP, there is a set of oz rims with good snows for sale in Durham NH in the classifieds....they're black, but seem like a good deal.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sorry to jump in with a mildly off topic question, but to use the f2's, do you need to remove the brake disc retaining bolt? I bought a used set and when I had my local tire place mount my snows to the rims they refused to put the wheels on the car because they didn't fit with the retaining bolt. I plan on mounting them myself after taking that bolt out, but wanted to double check that others have successfully done so.

Also- the the OP, there is a set of oz rims with good snows for sale in Durham NH in the classifieds....they're black, but seem like a good deal.
yes

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Removing the retaining bolt isn't a problem. I had to do that with my Sports and my spacers. For winters I run studded general altimax arctics, it's an amazing set up that can fight through ay amount of snow. I highly suggest the combo!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
As you saw in my last thread, I've got the sport editions. They're fine, I haven't had any issues, per se... They are just very heavy, which means more rolling mass, which means worse braking, but better momentum on the highway.... What does tirerack say they weigh? 24 lbs!!!!! that's massive!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts