SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've only used m1 0w40 in my audi and vw, so that's all I know when it comes to synthetic euro oil. What do you guys use in the winter? I'm in long island but do a lot of winter driving to snowboard upstate and in VT. I've got an 04 2.5 wanted to know what's the most common recommendation. I'm going to be doing an oil change soon and wanted to get ready for winter.

For the past 100k or so it's only had synthetic m1 5w30. I have pretty much every oil change receipt. I don't know if I should stick with that or if 0w40 would be a better option.

I just found 10qt of 0w40 Castrol Edge (made in Germany) with my other oil. Also a good option?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
5w30 is fine for New England. It's not like you are traveling to areas where its 50 degrees below. Plus the synthetic oil doesn't get "thick" like some conventional do.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have been using M1 5w-30 in our XC-70 5 cylinder turbo. Here in Pa., last winter it was -10*F on a few mornings. No issues starting.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have at least one oil change worth of m1 0w40 and apparently I have 10qt of Castrol I didn't know I have. I guess I'll use that since I already have it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I use M1 0W40 all year in my V8. It starts easily when the temps drop to -20F, and I have no worries when towing the boat in the summer.

Any synthetic 0W or 5W should work just fine for your needs.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually park mid mountain at the mountain I get a pass to, and it's frequently 0 and below there. I actually went to Walmart tonight and exchanged my mystery Castrol 0w40 for 5w30 cause it was the same price. I'll see how she goes.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts