SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No-season 19s that came on V90 are not going to work as Winter shoes.
Anybody using 18x8 et40-45? I know they fit since Volvo lists 18x8 ET42 but I am not going to buy overprices OE rims just something from Discount Tire or elsewhere.
Tires will be Winter specific 235/50R18 since from experience narrower tires work better in slush, etc and they are hair bigger than 255/40R19 which is another plus.
235 wide tires are used on CC so regular V90 should be just fine.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I run 245/40r19 Conti WinterContact Si's - solid dry and winter handling. The rims are a leftover from my P3 V60 at 19x8 ET55 w/ 10mm spacers, so equivalent ET45.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run 245/40r19 Conti WinterContact Si's - solid dry and winter handling. The rims are a leftover from my P3 V60 at 19x8 ET55 w/ 10mm spacers, so equivalent ET45.
I know this tire since have them on our Audi but refuse to use 19s aka "pothole testers". I am going for 18s and looks like nobody here has such a setup, maybe some of of European members.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm running 235/55R18 Conti WinterContact SIs on 7.5x18 wheels (the base Y-spoke wheels for an XC60) on my V90CC. Offset is 50.5 I believe, but the CC has a different setup than the regular V90. I would think 3mm further in doesn't make much difference (ET45 vs 42), but you could consider a 225/50R18 tire instead; the diameter is closer to stock (245/45R18) so you'd be looking at less speedometer error, along with getting a narrower tire. It would look stretched on an 18x8" wheel though.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No-season 19s that came on V90 are not going to work as Winter shoes.
Anybody using 18x8 et40-45? I know they fit since Volvo lists 18x8 ET42 but I am not going to buy overprices OE rims just something from Discount Tire or elsewhere.
Tires will be Winter specific 235/50R18 since from experience narrower tires work better in slush, etc and they are hair bigger than 255/40R19 which is another plus.
235 wide tires are used on CC so regular V90 should be just fine.
Nokian Hakka's hands down. Best snow tire you'll find.

Continental Tires are garbage. Steer clear.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nokian Hakka's hands down. Best snow tire you'll find.

Continental Tires are garbage. Steer clear.
Whatever, you missed my question...who is using 18s?
Opinions on tires are useless to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
I’ll be getting the 18’s bbs and thinking of the Michelin xi3 winter tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found few wheels that should fit just need to decide which style and pick 235/50R18 tires.
there are few rims that are around 22lbs and cost under $200 each

·
Registered
469 Posts
I will be running the Volvo 18" wheels on Michelin Winter Ice tires. Purchased them with the car at a discount. Haven't used them yet but have had Michelin Ice tires in past on a Lexus and was very happy with their performance on our winter roads.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am using 245/45ZR18 with bridgestone turanza serenity plus

·
Registered
383 Posts
That would be the size I pick for the 18’s as well. Might save me from a speeding ticket one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
uhhh it's 105 in Austin and 100 in Palm Springs, school hasn't started. My kids are going to the beach today. What's this "winter" you're talking about/

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
uhhh it's 105 in Austin and 100 in Palm Springs, school hasn't started. My kids are going to the beach today. What's this "winter" you're talking about/
Man, global warming must be worse than I thought. Kids are going to the beach in Austin? Always thought you keep it weird folks were landlocked!

Giving you hard time... Not sure I'd consider Galveston much of a beach. Kind of dirty water out that way. Presuming that's where they are headed.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
^ Santa Monica yo. Austin trip to keep 'em weird (and really hot, my wife was pissed for my trip selection). Bought chains for the SPA truck but never ended up using them last 2 years during snow runs... I don't think my awd has triggered in the last 2 years in either of the Volvos.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
^ Santa Monica yo. Austin trip to keep 'em weird (and really hot, my wife was pissed for my trip selection). Bought chains for the SPA truck but never ended up using them last 2 years during snow runs... I don't think my awd has triggered in the last 2 years in either of the Volvos.
Only time you would ever need AWD down south is if going into the mountains.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I know this tire since have them on our Audi but refuse to use 19s aka "pothole testers". I am going for 18s and looks like nobody here has such a setup, maybe some of of European members.
It's not about the rim size, it's the sidewall thickness. 245/40-19 = 98mm sidewall. These are leftover tires from my V60 or I'd run 245/45-19 = 110.25mm. Still, haven't had any issues with pothole damage after two winters. Keep in mind, the tread is deeper on winter tires, so there is inherent added padding.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Only time you would ever need AWD down south is if going into the mountains.
I'm not a fan of front wheel traction loss in the rain. Regardless, AWD + Polestar software + 2.0 software update = added rear power distribution/bias on dry pavement. AWD isn't just for all weather traction, it improves handling characteristics, for those who care.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts