SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've had my 2011 C30 for 3.5 years now and still love to drive it everyday. Winter is coming up (I live in Vancouver, Canada) and I haven't had the need to purchase winter tires nor tire chains in the past. This year, it is going to be a bit different since we're planning on doing some road trips in areas where, by law, winter tires or tire chains are required (even if not actually needed!).

I'm looking into buying some tire chains for my C30 (tire size 205/50 R17) and the owner's manual says to only use the official Volvo chains. However, the official chains are pretty overpriced compared to other chains on the market. Here's a link to the official Volvo chains:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/C30/Accessories/Document/VCC-449002/2011

They don't look anything special above and beyond chains offered by other manufacturers. What has your experience been? Has anyone used non-official Volvo tire chains on their C30 with success?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my opinion, a set of good winter tires is a must if your winters include snow, ice, black ice or freezing rain. Snow chains won't help you on a backroad doing 60 mp/h. I'd get some winter tires, and then a cheap but functional set of snow chains as a backup incase there is lots of snow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. I'm trying to shy away from purchasing winter tires for now as the $ investment is 10x more for the odd trip or two into the mountains (it almost never snows in Vancouver, only up in the mountains, and Vancouver has a pretty good winter road maintenance operation due to the wet roads that tend to freeze overnight).

Basically, I am looking for whether or not anyone has successfully used non-Volvo chains on their tires (winter or otherwise).

The owner's manual is pretty adamant that you must use Volvo approved chains or you might damage the vehicle. But, when I look at what Volvo offers, they look no different than the run-of-the-mill chains.

Eventually I'm going to work my way up to winter tires, but at the moment the $ investment outweighs (for me) the benefits of the additional use I'd get out of the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts