SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be heading to Tahoe for a couple weeks and Ive yet to drive my SR in the snow. Right now I have Bridgestone potenza s-04 with 3k miles on them, so pretty good tread. I'm not looking to buy winter tires as the car will likely never see snow again for a while, will I be okay over the higher altitude passes during winter storms? Has anyone advice on running chains, is it necessary, what kind, and should I run chains on all four tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Those are going to be very sketchy in snow.

I recently was in Colorado and hit some pretty gnarly snow storms in my R and was stuck on my Hankook Ventus V12 evos which have a similar tread pattern and it was downright frightening, and I'm from Wisconsin. I'm used to sketchy snow driving. I was able to continue driving and get out of the blizzard but there were times were I thought we were stuck and there were times where I couldn't go more than 25mph without completely losing traction.

You will struggle in anything more than an inch or so because those tires just offer zero grip when the road is anything but completely clear.

I would try and get some all-seasons at least. The R is a very capable snow car, one of the best I've driven. But every car is limited by it's tires.

I have General Altimax Arctics for winter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was recently driving in Yosemite with about an inch of snow on the ground running Potenza RE11A's which are worse than either of the tires above and it was sketchy at best. I believe Volvo recommends Spikes Spider for our cars. But if you're lowered, I'm not sure if they would rub the wheel well. I am and I think they would in the front which is where you need the chains.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com

I've seen a couple on Craigslist for sale in the Bay Area. If you get them, post up and tell us if they work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm gonna be heading to Tahoe for a couple weeks and Ive yet to drive my SR in the snow. Right now I have Bridgestone potenza s-04 with 3k miles on them, so pretty good tread. I'm not looking to buy winter tires as the car will likely never see snow again for a while, will I be okay over the higher altitude passes during winter storms? Has anyone advice on running chains, is it necessary, what kind, and should I run chains on all four tires?

In my opinion, you are taking a huge risk, as your S-04s are max performance summers, not intended for snow/winter driving at all.

As I am also planning to take a trip to the Sierra Nevada mountains in the next few weeks, I have been monitoring CalDOT and it seems that there were chain controls imposed on I-80 around Cisco and all along US-395 southbound, R-1 and R-2's, I believe. They have been lifted now but personally, I am not taking any chances.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Your tires are going to be hard as a rock and will have zero traction in snow. The temp will also make them pretty bad in very cold weather on dry roads.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's mainly the rubber compound - your summer performance tires will slide like hockey pucks at anything lower than about 10C (50F)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Your tires are going to be hard as a rock and will have zero traction in snow. The temp will also make them pretty bad in very cold weather on dry roads.
It's mainly the rubber compound - your summer performance tires will slide like hockey pucks at anything lower than about 10C (50F)
^ Based on personal experience driving through the passes from Sacramento to Reno late April on summer performance tires, trust me, it was terrifying. And it was only very light snow at the time, I can't imagine driving in a snow storm on summers.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You will die. Die die die. Die. Dead. I did paramedic work in Colorado during winter conditions. Every half dead motorist who I was trying to prevent bleeding to death out of their massive head trauma or missing limb stump was driving on summer tires in the winter in the mountains.

4 out of 5 had out of state plates.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I know from experience driving an R on summers in snow/ice is bad. Don't. Do. It.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any cheapish tires rated for mud and snow? Or autosocks? I have some Pirelli all seasons at home but the tread is pretty shot at 60k

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Any cheapish tires rated for mud and snow? Or autosocks? I have some Pirelli all seasons at home but the tread is pretty shot at 60k

Conti DWS06 are 136/tire from tirerack. No clue how they perform in snow as of yet... I hear good things about the previous generation so...

·
Registered
438 Posts
You might think of renting something. Like a small SUV. can be quite cheap compared to new tires.

Also, craigslist can have some snow tire deals

·
Registered
423 Posts
You might think of renting something. Like a small SUV. can be quite cheap compared to new tires.

Also, craigslist can have some snow tire deals

This. My suggestion would be for you to rent if you won't be needing winter tires other than this trip in the foreseeable future. Something with high ground clearance would be helpful too.

Now I'm wondering if I should get chains for the Tahoe that I'm renting to get to Tahoe.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
438 Posts
And if you WRECK it, they get to eat a cookie cutter car instead of your R

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 940 I'll probably take. I just wanted to play in the snow but it's looking to be like a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
if you have 17 inch wheels. Get the General Altimax Arctic, they run about 120 a tire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts