SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some winter mats and was wondering what people preferred. I have Weathertech's in my other car, but no experience with the Volvo winter mats. Particularly the cargo mat. The OEM cargo mat has a partition which allows you to use the grocery bag holder. It also doesn't cover the cargo rails. Where as the Weathertech's have more coverage. Just wondering what other people's thoughts are regarding the winter/cargo mats and which they prefer.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I don't have the cargo mat yet, but do have the Weathertech mats for the front. i think they are slightly more robust than the Volvo ones. However, I've had the Volvo ones in previous cars, and they were excellent. It would depend on price for me, and would buy whichever one is a a better value at the time. They are both excellent.

For the cargo mat, I would go Volvo to maintain the functionality of the rear cargo area. The aftermarket one just lie in there and cover everything.

·
Registered
544 Posts
For the floor mats in the car we have the Volvo ones. They work well, nothing fancy and no complaints.

As for the cargo area we have the Load Liner and the Dirt Cover.

We like the load liner as it is all one piece and has a lip around the front, so anything wet doesn't spill out. However it does make getting into the spare tire area harder.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just purchased Weathertech mats for my new XC70. I've used them in my last several vehicles and they work very well and are durable. I accidentally ordered grey and my interior carpet color is black. Not ideal but they work color wise. Grrrr! :mad:

As far as cargo area mats, I instead have used Canvas Back products in my last four vehicles and it is far superior to any cargo mat. It covers and protects not only cargo area floor but side walls and back of 2nd row seats while still allowing split seats and access to underfloor cargo storage. It wears well and is waterproof. I strongly recommend it.

http://www.canvasback.com/index.php/products/volvo/xc-70.html

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've had several Weathertech cargo mats for various Volvos, although nothing new as yours. That said, the quality, the color matching, and the fit has always been impeccable, and for P80 cars (1993-2000) I much prefer the Weathertech cargo design over the Volvo design. But, OEM Volvo mats are great too. In my 850 I have OEM floor mats and a Weathertech cargo mat.

If you can get pictures of both OEM and Weathertech and compare them, it should become obvious which is going to work better for you, if there is much of a difference.

Personally, I prefer all-weather mats that have a raised edge/border so that any water, snow, or mud stays on the mat and doesn't run off the edge into the carpet. This can particularly be a problem with melting snow. So, the raised-border mat design has always been my preference if I can get it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have Weathertech in my '13 XC70 and am very satisfied with them. I appreciate the way they keep water trapped within the mat.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I forgot to say, I have ONE disappointment/gripe with Volvo OEM mats in the car. They do not cover the dead pedal.

Come winter time, left boot/shoe has snow/is wet. It sits on the dead pedal, which is not covered by the mat.

Does the Weathertech cover this area? If so I'd consider changing!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Great point! The Weathertech maps go halfway up the dead pedal and catch a lot of crap from your feet because of that.

That canvas back thing looks fantastic!! Thanks for the link, fleuger

·
Registered
358 Posts
We have Volvo floor mats and a Weathertech cargo mat. The Volvo rubber is very pliable, doesn't cover the dead pedal but does come up over the "hump" at the inboard base of the seat (the rug doesn't). The Weathertech cargo mat has nice sides but the rear is starting to fold over from loading stuff. Rubber is not as pliable but is sticky enough that things don't slid around. We don't store much under the floor so the hinging isn't an issue for us. Interior is black so really can't say much about color match.
Very happy with the combination.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just purchased Weathertech mats for my new XC70. I've used them in my last several vehicles and they work very well and are durable. I accidentally ordered grey and my interior carpet color is black. Not ideal but they work color wise. Grrrr! :mad:

As far as cargo area mats, I instead have used Canvas Back products in my last four vehicles and it is far superior to any cargo mat. It covers and protects not only cargo area floor but side walls and back of 2nd row seats while still allowing split seats and access to underfloor cargo storage. It wears well and is waterproof. I strongly recommend it.

http://www.canvasback.com/index.php/products/volvo/xc-70.html
fleuger, I can't tell from the pic but does the sides connect to the main piece? I am definitely leaning towards the Weathertechs for the fronts. Rears are still up in the air right now.

·
Registered
973 Posts
fleuger, I can't tell from the pic but does the sides connect to the main piece? I am definitely leaning towards the Weathertechs for the fronts. Rears are still up in the air right now.
Here you go, snapped a pic for you to see how it fits.

The side pieces are independent of the main cargo liner piece but you can line them up so they virtually overlap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
All our XC70's have OEM rubber floor mats and rear cargo liner.
I removed the rear liner(One piece stiff plastic of some sort) from the 2011 XC70 because it ws activating a sensor that kept the Position Indication light on and running down the battery. Took me quite a while to find the cause of dead batteries but there it was, hatch closed and PI light on. No problems since removal.
I like the stiff plastic because I put hunting and fishing equipment in the back and it washed easily.-Richard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts