SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Third attempt at doing some minor body work. What do you think?

I can't figure out how to get the crack to appear completely gone. I'm not sure what sort of product to use, because there are two choises.. Leave the crack visible, or make a lump over it which will be visible in the paint. So either way there's going to be a flaw, but which do you go with? I'm thinking once the paint goes on, the crack won't show, at least until it hits the ground one time and splits the paint, even though paint is supposed to be flexible.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
What kind of bondo are you using? I see the 'red' hardner, are you using just that, if so, it won't work. I only ask because the patch jobs are curiously really red.

Based on your answer is how we can help you more. Looks like you didn't do the patch job correctly but don't want to assume that. :)

I did body work for way too many years haha, love it though!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Bondo products sucks ass. For Winglets you need something made for plastics, like a flex plastic resin. Evercoat Polyflex or even their standard Rage would have enough flex to fill those and not crack. I've done some bodywork on my own R, ie; fixing winglets, and custom exhaust panels, and I've only used Evercoat products.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I've got a cracked winglet too and I was thinking about doing a plastic weld on the backside with some sort of filler on the front.

@DevolvR - Thanks for the heads up on the Evercoat.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of bondo are you using? I see the 'red' hardner, are you using just that, if so, it won't work. I only ask because the patch jobs are curiously really red.

Based on your answer is how we can help you more. Looks like you didn't do the patch job correctly but don't want to assume that. :)

I did body work for way too many years haha, love it though!
Nah I got that tube and realized I didn't need it. I'm using the only putty they had that would adhere to plastic other than their bumper repair kit. I needed more than 8oz or whatever they give you. **** works great, other than the crack not sealing.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bondo products sucks ass. For Winglets you need something made for plastics, like a flex plastic resin. Evercoat Polyflex or even their standard Rage would have enough flex to fill those and not crack. I've done some bodywork on my own R, ie; fixing winglets, and custom exhaust panels, and I've only used Evercoat products.
I'll look for it, thanks. Where do you normally buy it?

Also, the person that had the winglets before did a horrible repair of the crack, so in order to remove the massive amounts of stuff I'd have to melt or grind it all away. It's so bad. I decided to just try and cover it rather than remove the old repair, which didn't work, and start over. Looks like that's what I'll have to do though.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I'll look for it, thanks. Where do you normally buy it?

Also, the person that had the winglets before did a horrible repair of the crack, so in order to remove the massive amounts of stuff I'd have to melt or grind it all away. It's so bad. I decided to just try and cover it rather than remove the old repair, which didn't work, and start over. Looks like that's what I'll have to do though.
For a large crack, I would recommend using 2 part epoxy first to bond the crack together. Flex Filler resin although great, won't hold the crack together, so any bending on the plastic could potentially still separate the filler material from the original ABS plastics. So epoxy the winglet first, allow it to dry, then put filler ontop. Epoxy is sandable, so once you have the crack filled, sand away. You may need to use a glaze after to create a smoother paintable surface.

As for where to buy, I'm not sure. You'll need to look for a professional autobody supply shop, I could name the shop I buy from, but I'm in Canada which I'm sure won't help you.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For a large crack, I would recommend using 2 part epoxy first to bond the crack together. Flex Filler resin although great, won't hold the crack together, so any bending on the plastic could potentially still separate the filler material from the original ABS plastics. So epoxy the winglet first, allow it to dry, then put filler ontop. Epoxy is sandable, so once you have the crack filled, sand away. You may need to use a glaze after to create a smoother paintable surface.

As for where to buy, I'm not sure. You'll need to look for a professional autobody supply shop, I could name the shop I buy from, but I'm in Canada which I'm sure won't help you.
I'll just go to my go-to body shop and see if they'll help me out, they can probably point me in the right direction. They might even fix it for me, but then, it wouldn't be a DIY.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If the winglets are urethane the only way to ensure a permanent fix is to weld the crack using the same material. I am not saying fillers and epoxies will not be able to fix it permanently but I have seen many plastic epoxy/filler repairs fail (in a long term sense, not in an immediate sense like if you mixed plastic and fiberglass filler), or the part flexes in such a manner that the repair is no longer able to hold (someone taps you in a parking lot, a rock hits the repaired area etc...).

Also if the crack and previous repair really is that bad, it might just be worth it (from a time perspective) to bite the bullet and just replace the winglet.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the winglets are urethane the only way to ensure a permanent fix is to weld the crack using the same material. I am not saying fillers and epoxies will not be able to fix it permanently but I have seen many plastic epoxy/filler repairs fail (in a long term sense, not in an immediate sense like if you mixed plastic and fiberglass filler), or the part flexes in such a manner that the repair is no longer able to hold (someone taps you in a parking lot, a rock hits the repaired area etc...).

Also if the crack and previous repair really is that bad, it might just be worth it (from a time perspective) to bite the bullet and just replace the winglet.
Well, they aren't for me, and I'm not sure how concerned he is about the small crack. We'll see. It wasn't that the repair is impossible, it's just that they used hot glue, and it's everywhere on the backside of the winglet, so getting rid of it will take a long time.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
BTW I have a right OEM winglet that is cracked and broken underneath (cannot be attached with brackets on bottom) but I'll let it go cheap to someone if they want to fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts