SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winglets are scraped up on the bottom from bottoming out. In addition, the passenger side winglet has detached from the bumper (about 3-5 inches from the middle towards the sides). I purchased the adhesive tape last year and tried to reattached the winglet to the bumper without removing it and I was not successful. Also, the fins in the lower grill are chipping and I wanted to recoat them with plastidip. I had a couple of questions:
1. What are the procedures for detaching and reattaching the winglets?
2. When repainting the bottom of the winglets do I need to sand them (the bottoms are uneven because of getting scrapped) or should I just paint them? (do I just need paint or clear or primer?)
3. Whats the best method to paint the fins?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
My winglets had rivets on the fender side, brackets on the bottom middle and 3M tape along the tops so it woudl stick to the lower spoiler. Yes, you need to sand them, I would just have a body shop repaint them, it only cost me $60 to do both.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
brackets on the bottom middle

+1 to this

Brackets, brackets and more brackets. IF you want the Winglets to hang on stronger, get more of these metal brackets and support the plastic/frp which isn't strong enough alone .

or these ones

When I ran Winglets, each winglet had 2 metal brackets along with the plastic. Use the OEM Volvo rivets with the Rubber, instead of screws for easier install and weather durability.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've wondered about this as well.. I've wondered about a paint touch up to cover up some of the rash that has accumulated and reveals the underlying plastic..

DevolvR is that a pic of your full CF front lip? I love that thing but dont feel like it works well on a car with stock wheels.. It just doesnt look right.. The BBS CKs are awesome and the setup is great..

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I've wondered about this as well.. I've wondered about a paint touch up to cover up some of the rash that has accumulated and reveals the underlying plastic..

DevolvR is that a pic of your full CF front lip? I love that thing but dont feel like it works well on a car with stock wheels.. It just doesnt look right.. The BBS CKs are awesome and the setup is great..
For bottom edge rash, if you can't see it from front view, I wouldn't bother. It'll accumulate when your car accidentally scrapes when you or someone else is driving. I try not to scrape, but some driveways are inevitable. For the deep scratches, if you want to fix them properly, you'll need to sand them down, prime and repaint unfortunately. There's no such magical chip paint that would blend 100% smooth to the original paint.

Yeah I'm running the full CF lip now, but I opted to paint it. Well, turns out it's not that great since the paint is sitting on top of CF(which is a strong rigid material) I find that it's very easy to chip from stones and road debris. And thanks to some idiot FJ Cruiser driver who suddenly decided to show off that his car was somewhat fast (no it aint) and can fling pebbles up from a north side road during a dry but dirty winter, my front end is pretty ravaged. Anyway, it's running Axis Shine wheels now rather than the CKs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My winglets currently have one bracket in the middle. How are you able to add additional brackets? How would you attach the bracket to the winglet? The bottom of my winglets are scraped pretty bad that you can see white. Do you think I could get away with using touch up paint to just cover it up?

Any recommendations on a type of paint to use on the fins which are in the lower opening for the intercooler?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hmm, wonder if your laws would allow you trim the bottom of your license plate where a frame would obscure anyway. Everything below the actual number. Then the plate wouldn't look so out of place.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have yet to scrape my lip on anything, and dread the day it would ever happen. I have 10 galvanized mounting bolts along the bottom of the lip and really utilize my geometry when entering / exiting any form of elevation. The only thing on my car that has ever scraped, are the front and rear mudflaps after lowering. That was a terrifying first speed bump.

Unfortunatley with carbon though, once it cracks, there is nothing you can do apart from painting it, to have it look right again. I would most likely mimic DevolvR's lip (partial carbon exposure), but use flat black to match the lower trim of my car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
+1 to this

Brackets, brackets and more brackets. IF you want the Winglets to hang on stronger, get more of these metal brackets and support the plastic/frp which isn't strong enough alone .

or these ones

When I ran Winglets, each winglet had 2 metal brackets along with the plastic. Use the OEM Volvo rivets with the Rubber, instead of screws for easier install and weather durability.

I need to replace the driver side winglet and can't find a good source. Where did you find the part break out of the front bumper?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Here's the idea I had. I backed the winglets with that "Great Stuff" spray on insulation. If the two surfaces (back of the winglets and front bumper) are clean it helps with adhesion. I mainly did it for rigidity though, adhesion was an unplanned benefit. The winglets are on there super stiff now. I have scraped fiberglass winglets before and they basically exploded. They are so brittle that even a little scrape caused a huge section to blow out. The way I figure it, with the rigid foam backing, if I did impact anything in the future, instead of a crack propagating and a huge section blowing out, a crack may not even start with the foam. Same way the styrofoam in your bumper helps to rebound the bumper after a fender bender.

Think of it this way. Drop an empty beer bottle from 5 feet. It shatters. Drop a full beer bottle from 5 feet. It survives the impact (most times). The liquid helps absorb some of the vibrations (shock) from impact. I am not going to purposely test this, but in my mind it makes sense that this would help minimize damage in the event of a scrape.

I backed my duraflex sideskirts with Great Stuff also since they are flimsy unless you add 100 mechanical mounts.

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
when I took my winglets off they were adhered with some super silicone adhesive from the factory. The dealers can never adhere them as good. Mine are pulling away slightly in the middle again but not as drastic as the last time another dealer tried to stick them on.

·
1,947 Posts
This might be a stupid question but, bare with me hear.

Is there anyway to hook up the winglets to the bumper with Velcro or something like that?

Just curious since im afraid of scraping them or breaking them in the winter.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
1,947 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts