SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 V70R, wipers work fine except on intermittent mode. Sometimes the intermittent works a little, but on slow it's like they are turned off, on fast, they are turned on all the time, and in between sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they go on high speed as if I was in a downpour.

Not sure if it's one of three things:
1. Bad relay
2. Bad stalk / switch
3. Faulty rain sensor (if it's equipped)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Happens to mine once in a while also... Check to make sure the outside of the sensor is not really dirty, sometimes residue from trees or birds bla bla bla can make the sensors go wacky..

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
where is said sensor?
Directly behind the rear view mirror is a plastic panel that covers the sensor, which is mounted to the windshield. It looks out the glass through a ovalish dark window. Use a flashlight from the outside and you can see it.

My sensor was intermittent after two non-OEM windshield replacements, so I disconnected it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You do know that you have rain sensor wipers and there is no intermittent feature? (there may be some R's w/o the feature but very few, your comments tell me yours has it)
If you move the lever down to first position that is rain sensor function and the ring on stalk is sensitivity adjustment.
The rain sensor has a light source and a light receiver and the water of the sample area will change the reflectivity and make the light received change. The wipers therefore wipe when the rain is detected. There is a first wipe when you move the lever every time to clear the windshield and the sensor area.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
04 rain sensing wipers DO NOT WORK period
Remove that black cover behind the mirror, unplug the sensor (30 seconds work here) put the cap back and you will have normal operating delay wipers that YOU control the time delay with the knob, 1 second to about 15 seconds
I remove the sensor on every 04 I sell

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Why do you say that? I pulled the sensor off and cleaned the haze off the glass and mine now work well. I think maintenance may address the issue. I drove a 2013 S60 T5 for a couple of weeks recently and the feature on that car was not 100% either.
With hazy glass they worked but would not keep glass clean at lower sensitivity and with sensitivity turned up they would jump to high speed and then not want to quit.
They do what I want now. I pass a car on a two lane road and they wipe a few times and then drop to occasional wipe as glass gets mist accumulation though sometimes they overwipe and sometimes they wait too long. The water will not accumulate on the entire glass the same and the sensor location may get a rain drop and the wipers will get very active when I don't have a problem seeing. Then I will get a splash on driver's view area and the sensor will not get the splash and no wiping. The sensor would need to be moved to fix that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remove that black cover behind the mirror, unplug the sensor (30 seconds work here) put the cap back and you will have normal operating delay wipers that YOU control the time delay with the knob, 1 second to about 15 seconds
I like this idea the best. Disconnected it in all of 10 seconds and now the insanity is gone. I'll probably clean off the sensor and reconnect just for good measure to see if it works. If not, it will stay disconnected

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Not true mine work fine old man.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Not true mine work fine old man.
I agree, I think JRL is mixing opinion and fact. The fact is the rain sensors do function - the wiper frequency changes as the rain intensity changes. The opinion part here is how effectively it does that function.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
2005 and later models have a switch on the stalk that toggles between "rain sensor sensitivity" and "normal intermittent".

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

Wow, I must be very lucky then... my 04 rain sensor wipers work great. That being said, I know you can disable by doing as suggested.

n23 -
n23 said:
Directly behind the rear view mirror is a plastic panel that covers the sensor, which is mounted to the windshield. It looks out the glass through a ovalish dark window. Use a flashlight from the outside and you can see it.

My sensor was intermittent after two non-OEM windshield replacements, so I disconnected it.
Sounds like someone got a blob of windshield goo in the wrong spot on yours to cause it to be knocked out. I'd contact the glass company about reinstalling it (and removing the goo) black urethane on a light sensor = dead sensor... just a thought.

·
6,436 Posts
Sorry but my rain sensing wipers DO WORK period :)

Remind me not to buy an 04 from you! hehe ... I wonder what else you disable? .... AWD? DSC? hehe

·
Registered
876 Posts
Rain sensor in my 04 worked until I had my OEM windshield replaced with aftermarket. This was the first time (and last) that I tried to save few bucks on parts. I was spoiled by my rain sensor, and I miss it every time I drive in rain.
When it's time to replace my windshield again, I am going back to OEM glass.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
ANother observation I have had on any car I have driven with RSW system: if the part of windshield you view out of has an issue with haze as wipers pass then the rain sensor will have that issue and the RSW will not work properly. If I get the oily residue off the windshield to where the haze is not there after the wipers pass then the RSW returns to acceptable operation.
On other brands with this function I have the same issue that stuff on the driver's area may not trigger a wipe and one drop of water from a bridge or tree limb on the sensor will make the wipers go high speed wipe several passes when I may not have gotten any water on glass in my view area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts