SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rubber seals all along the windshield and roof became stiff and have practically all eroded away, this is pretty concerning but I havent got a clue of how to go about fixing it. Does anyone know how much its going cost to get all of these replaced, where should I go for this?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
They come attached to the windshield when you get a new one. Not sure if uou can replace it without taking the windshield out.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If you get new glass. Go with OEM volvo glass. Don't get a cheap **** Chinese crap windshield

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
The rubber along the top of the windshield will come with the new window. The side rubber is part of the roof rails, so they are a lot of extra $$$ to replace. They don't seem to do much functionality wise, so I just used a razor blade to cut off the disintegrating side rubber so it looks fine, and my windshield replacement took care of the rest.

Also despite all the people here who think that only OEM parts are suitable for the R, don't believe the hype. There are lots of quality aftermarket parts that aren't cheap chinese crap.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
A regular windshield from safelight or whatever is a pos. Go with a Pilkington (who makes the windshield for volvo) or a Volvo one which is the same but with the Volvo logo. That's the one I got. There is a difference between a safelight one and a Pilkington.
I just paid extra on top of what the insurance paid for cuz insurance companies are cheap asssholes and don't care what they give you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
holy **** a whole new windshield??? I just wanted to replace the crappy seals they put on it, if that's the only way to get new ones, that's a bad setup

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it even worth replacing? Do they serve a real function?

Reactions: Tom_S

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
might as well "accidentally" crack my glass to get a new one for free.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The top seal (#2 in the volvo fische) is usually around $80. Windshield shops that do a lot of volvos may have some lying around and/or have a universal (3/4" or 1" top reveal with butyl to adhere) moulding that fits.
Unfortunately, if your windshield is not the factory installed one, it's likely you won't be able to get a new seal in there due to sloppy/excessive amounts of urethane.
The side rubber strips along the drip rail mouldings are attached to them and only available painted from Volvo ($$). Also, production on them is no longer and they have already run out of a few of the colors.

Also, if you do replace the windshield, most non-pilkington glass will degrade or actually prohibit your rain sensor from working.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
might as well "accidentally" crack my glass to get a new one for free.
It's never free.

Your insurance co keeps track of every cent they pay out in claims, and then they use this info to base your rates off of.

It's not in the same category as having an at fault accident, but they still keep tabs on those things. They might give one new windshield every so often with out rasing your rates, but if you are constantly claiming stuff like this, you can bet your ass they will get the money back from you one way or another.

Still though I would put this off till you need a new windshield and have the person that does your window do the new seals as well. Most installers will be happy as most of the time people are cheap and want them to use the old stuff even though it's worn out, as most people don't care.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
The side rubber is part of the roof rails, so they are a lot of extra $$$ to replace. They don't seem to do much functionality wise, so I just used a razor blade to cut off the disintegrating side rubber so it looks fine.
I'm glad I read this before I went and spent money for new roof rails, I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's free in Florida. Deductible does not apply to Windshield replacement either. How many windshields does one need?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The windshield comes with the seal though. You don't have to have the guy do anything extra. The glass comes with the top and bottom seal attached

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the top and bottom seals are fine on my car, but the ones that run along the sides are completely gone and the edge of the glass is visible, as well as where my roof meets the side panels.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It's free in Florida. Deductible does not apply to Windshield replacement either. How many windshields does one need?
In Utah they send you a list of every driving infraction, at fault, not at fault accident, windsheild replacement, claim no matter how small ect every six months when your policy renews for 3 years.

Insurance companies are very good at making money, which means they have to take in more money than they pay out. Do you think they do this by giving stuff away for free?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
So my rubber seals all along the windshield and roof became stiff and have practically all eroded away, this is pretty concerning but I havent got a clue of how to go about fixing it. Does anyone know how much its going cost to get all of these replaced, where should I go for this?
I have the same issue, and asked my indi to get prices on the side rubber pieces a month ago. They were expensive (about $150 per side) and my mechanic stated they are not needed to maintain water tightness of the windshield. My Pilkerton windshield is sand blasted, so when I replace it this spring, I will pay to have the side rubber replaced too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts