SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a direct hit tonight from a rock to the windshield (sounded like a gun going off inside the cabin). Looking from the inside of the car, the starburst is about an inch above the visible bottom edge of the windshield. It's on the passenger's side, so it's outside of my field of vision while driving. It's about the diameter of a quarter.

I'm assuming it will spider or eventually grow in size, and I will need to replace the windshield. If I do replace, do I need to go to the dealership, given the sensors and nearby electronics? Or can I shop for what I assume would be a less expensive alternative, like Safe Lite or something equivalent?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
As many here will tell you the original is a must for these cars. Some might have the glass replaced for cheep just to find the hard way it wasn’t compatible with all the electronics. Visit at the dealer is recommended for sure even if you get the oem glass installed somewhere else due to the calibration of the sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
When I got a new windshield last summer both my Volvo dealer and Safelite told me there are no aftermarket windshields being made for the XC90...OEM Volvo is the only option. May have changed since then however.

Volvo's cameras are self-calibrating, no calibration is needed after getting new glass unless you get an error message.

Unfortunately the OEM Volvo windshield is made of butter. I will be getting my 3rd windshield once we fully get out of winter/spring here....23K miles on the car. Worth noting that we use the car as our SkiBus in the winter, so it gets the I-70 winter sandblasting. Almost the entire front of my car is wrapping in clearmask...too bad you can't clearmask the windshield LOL.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last month I got my windshield replaced by safelite. I requested oem glass and they came and installed it in my garage. They did a great job. They also did the recalibration for me. Safelite has a tablet device that plugs into the obd2 port and requires driving to recalibrate. I drove the car and the tech did the recalibration from the passenger seat. He probably could have drove and recalibrated because I think he only had to hit a start button once driving. Worked out great and the tech did a great job. Highly recommend. Make sure you ask for the oem glass and make sure the recal is on the safelite order sheet or they won’t do it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I got a new windshield last summer both my Volvo dealer and Safelite told me there are no aftermarket windshields being made for the XC90...OEM Volvo is the only option.

Volvo's cameras are self-calibrating, no calibration is needed after getting new glass unless you get an error message.

Unfortunately the OEM Volvo windshield is made of butter. I will be getting my 3rd windshield once we fully get out of winter/spring here....23K miles on the car. Worth noting that we use the car as our SkiBus in the winter, so it gets the I-70 winter sandblasting. Almost the entire front of my car is wrapping in clearmask...too bad you can't clearmask the windshield LOL.
I agree with the statement that the Volvo is self calibrating but only when triggered to do so. I think the safelite obd2 tablet triggers the Volvo to recalibrate.

I don’t know if my car “needed” the recal but we did it anyway. I guess there is a chance you won’t need it and if you do need it you will get the error. Problem is if you wait to get the error now you have to go to the dealer or back to safelite. Then the recal charge won’t be on the same order for the insurance claim.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Last month I got my windshield replaced by safelite. I requested oem glass and they came and installed it in my garage. They did a great job. They also did the recalibration for me. Safelite has a tablet device that plugs into the obd2 port and requires driving to recalibrate. I drove the car and the tech did the recalibration from the passenger seat. He probably could have drove and recalibrated because I think he only had to hit a start button once driving. Worked out great and the tech did a great job. Highly recommend. Make sure you ask for the oem glass and make sure the recal is on the safelite order sheet or they won’t do it.

Interesting. According to Volvo the cameras are self-calibrating and calibration is not needed after new glass. Guessing your Safelite tech just wanted to test drive your beautiful XC90 LOL.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting. According to Volvo the cameras are self-calibrating and calibration is not needed after new glass. Guessing your Safelite tech just wanted to test drive your beautiful XC90 LOL.
Hehehe maybe. I did watch the whole process. I think we had to be over 30mph? to start the recal. Once he hit the button on his obd2 tablet, I got messages on the driver display screen of all the systems going through recalibration. Definitely the Volvo recalibrated itself but had to be triggered.

Obviously there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that I do not fully understand but just my interpretation of what happened.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Not sure how their tablet works, but that's basically how it works for us at the dealer.

Plug the car into VIDA and start the calibration. The car will give a message saying Camera Calibration Incomplete and Radar Calibration Incomplete. Drive it until they turn off and its set.

As for the OPs problem- have a glass place take a look. They might be able to fill it to prevent it from spreading.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not sure how their tablet works, but that's basically how it works for us at the dealer.

Plug the car into VIDA and start the calibration. The car will give a message saying Camera Calibration Incomplete and Radar Calibration Incomplete. Drive it until they turn off and its set.

As for the OPs problem- have a glass place take a look. They might be able to fill it to prevent it from spreading.
Sounds the same. Just need a device to trigger the recal process. Then the xc90 does the magic.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite a few months back. When I was in for service last week, I mentioned the possible need for re calibration to the tech. He said that 1) Volvo OEM glass pretty much never needs re calibration if installed correctly. 2) Aftermarket glass usually does not either, but that if it did, the car would somehow indicate a calibration was needed. From driving it, it seems fine. I was just being safe and asking just in case.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Calls to two area Volvo dealers returned just about the same price for a windshield replacement: $1,675, parts, labor, calibration.

So I'm opting for the $100 resin repair first. :whistle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had two cracks w/ my xc90 T8 occur within 1 week. I had the windshield replaced by a local installer, both OEM, and each time they had a voucher to bring to dealer for re-calibration. The voucher was from my insurance company as I had windshield coverage so it was no cost to me. The dealer said they re-calibrated, but I'm not sure what that entailed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just replaced the windshield yeasterday on my XC40. Safelite did it with a OEM windshield. Safelite and my Volvo dealer said I needed to recalibrate the cameras.

My dealer did it this morning while I waited. They test drove it for about 20 minutes so it seems like they did something. My insurance will also pay for the recalibration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
“too bad you can't clearmask the windshield LOL.“

In fact you can, with a product called Clearplex. Many PPF dealers/installers won’t install it as it is much more difficult/time consuming to install, but when installed it offers massive protection to the windshield from normal impacts. I have had it installed on many vehicles and only once has they Clearplex been punctured enough to damage the windshield. This was in a GMC Denali that took a massive impact from a work truck throwing out a large rock, and would have no doubt shattered the windshield. As it was it only caused a 2-3mm ‘divot’ in the windshield that was easily repaired for $25 at Safelite.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by Safelite a few months back. When I was in for service last week, I mentioned the possible need for re calibration to the tech. He said that 1) Volvo OEM glass pretty much never needs re calibration if installed correctly. 2) Aftermarket glass usually does not either, but that if it did, the car would somehow indicate a calibration was needed. From driving it, it seems fine. I was just being safe and asking just in case.
This is what I was told as well. While calibration is possible it's almost never needed. My dealer said just to call if I got an error message for the camera system, I never did.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree that it probably is not always necessary but think of it this way... the camera and radar sensor mount directly to the glass. It is impossible for the glass and these devices to be in the exact same position after replacement. They will be close but saying it is exactly the same is not gonna happen. Now there is probably enough error correction in the system that it doesn’t matter but why debate it. Just recalibrate to be sure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to check with my insurance on this, too, but I do have a $1k deductible. Unless windshield coverage in somehow separate from the deductible, looks like this will be out of pocket. That's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the resin working out. That's going to happen this afternoon. If I can, I'll post before-and-after pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife's XC90 just had a rock. Close to same location as poster's, bottom right side...not terribly visible from the driver seat. Resin repaired it "ok" but there's still something there...like a bug splat that just won't go away. Guy said that was going to be as good as he can make it.

She actually got hold of the commercial truck/owner and he's going to replace it. She was concerned the dealer might catch it upon lease return and force us to fix it...plus the little "splat" spot was driving her a li'l crazy...she's OCD like that. But wow, $1600+? Joy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts