SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 XC60. Rain, melted snow, and car washes recently started resulting in water running down the inside of the windshield from a broken top seal. Took it to a dealer yesterday. The technician confirmed the leak (it was raining that day) and physically pushed the top of the windshield up and away from the frame of the car to confirm the seal was broken. He checked with Volvo corporate and they said they wouldn't repair it due to my car having too many miles (115k).

There currently is not a recall on this issue, but I've found dozens of other Volvo owners experiencing the same issue online. I called Volvo customer service and the rep confirmed to me that they are aware of the issue.

The only way Volvo will issue a recall is if there are enough documented complaints submitted by us, the consumers, to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you are experiencing this windshield leak issue with your Volvo, please file a complaint with them. I did it this morning. It was pretty fast and easy.

To file your own complaint:
  1. Have your VIN and mileage handy.
  2. Go to File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA .
  3. Select the category: Visibility/Wiper.
  4. In your own words, make a point of describing how the leak impact your safety while driving. EG: Yesterday ice cold water was dripping onto my lap while I was driving (distracting), as well as obstructing my vision while it ran down the inside of the glass (this is true, and I documented it on the NHTSA site).
Good luck!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I own a 2013 XC60. Rain, melted snow, and car washes recently started resulting in water running down the inside of the windshield from a broken top seal. Took it to a dealer yesterday. The technician confirmed the leak (it was raining that day) and physically pushed the top of the windshield up and away from the frame of the car to confirm the seal was broken. He checked with Volvo corporate and they said they wouldn't repair it due to my car having too many miles (115k).

There currently is not a recall on this issue, but I've found dozens of other Volvo owners experiencing the same issue online. I called Volvo customer service and the rep confirmed to me that they are aware of the issue.

The only way Volvo will issue a recall is if there are enough documented complaints submitted by us, the consumers, to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you are experiencing this windshield leak issue with your Volvo, please file a complaint with them. I did it this morning. It was pretty fast and easy.

4. In your own words, make a point of describing how the leak impact your safety while driving. EG: Yesterday ice cold water was dripping onto my lap while I was driving (distracting), as well as obstructing my vision while it ran down the inside of the glass (this is true, and I documented it on the NHTSA site).
Good luck!
I have always thought that there was a recall on the cars with the leaking windshield seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@billqueenis Volvo hasn't voluntarily recalled this issue, yet. The only two ways a recall happens:
  • Voluntary by manufacturer
  • Forced to recall by U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration due to complaints from the consumer. In the US, anyway.

·
Registered
826 Posts
@billqueenis Volvo hasn't voluntarily recalled this issue, yet. The only two ways a recall happens:
  • Forced to recall by U.S. DOT National Highway Traffic Safety Administration due to complaints from the consumer. In the US, anyway.
Oh that is interesting. I have definitely read some stories where the dealers, or the local Volvo party paid for some peoples repairs for this. I must depend on the dealer and location.

·
Registered
2012 XC70
3 Posts

Good luck!
I have a 2012 XC70 with the same problem. It started leaking about six months out of warranty with only 24,500 miles. I contacted the US Customer Service Rep (or whatever they are called). They did absolutely nothing. I also followed up and made a complaint to the NHTSA, but that will never result in any action. There just aren't enough Volvo owners for them to take action.

I also read quite a few of the threads on what was happening. My best guess from reading the problem was caused by defective primer/bad prep on 60 and 70 series cars from mid-2010 through 2012. Some owners, with very responsible dealers as their advocates, have had luck with Volvo doing a replacement. That certainly doesn't describe any of the dealer I've dealt with in Minnesota.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I had the issue this year on my 2010 S80. Since I already knew about the issue I took it to my dealer who agreed to replace the windshield. Dealer techs however do not deal with glass, they call their local subcontractor which in my case turned out to be extremely good (that's why my dealer uses them). In reality though the glass claim almost always goes through your insurance company, and what some people don't know is that many insurance companies today do not handle glass claims internally like they used to, they use Safelite Solutions to handle the entire process. That doesn't mean that Safelite has to do the work, but it is extra layer of bureaucracy that can be a pain in the butt. What my dealer and their glass subcontractor did do for me however was to push hard for an OEM windshield. It took a while but I got it. Normally Safelite Solutions will not agree to this unless the car is under 2 years old.

Reactions: EGW

·
Registered
9 Posts

Good luck!
I had a serious leak for several years. Repairman said it was coming from the front windscreen. I had the screen replaced yesterday. The repair guy said there was zero bonding material on the top of the screen and he could push it out with his hand. Worse than that he said the front screen pillar was completely rusted away and the whole thing will fail soon. The back of the car is flooded with the carpet, mat and under carpet foam soaked through. Surely this is a recall issue. The windscreen replacement guy also said this is common in Volvos. Mine is a 2010 V50 which I bought new in Sweden.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I had a serious leak for several years. Repairman said it was coming from the front windscreen. I had the screen replaced yesterday. The repair guy said there was zero bonding material on the top of the screen and he could push it out with his hand. Worse than that he said the front screen pillar was completely rusted away and the whole thing will fail soon. The back of the car is flooded with the carpet, mat and under carpet foam soaked through. Surely this is a recall issue. The windscreen replacement guy also said this is common in Volvos. Mine is a 2010 V50 which I bought new in Sweden.
So you "had a leak for several years" and now its Volvos fault? Maybe you should have fixed it "several" years ago?

Reactions: LarryM

·
Registered
826 Posts
Why didn't you fix it several years ago?

·
Registered
2012 Volvo S60 T6 AWD
2 Posts
Sent in my complaint. Hopefully we can get this moving. Volvo should jump on this since they are "the safety brand."

·
Registered
2012 XC70
3 Posts
Sent in my complaint. Hopefully we can get this moving. Volvo should jump on this since they are "the safety brand."
You have an abundance of optimism! In my humble opinion, it would take something a spontaneous explosion of the vehicle to get a recall almost 10-12 years after the problem surfaced. (OK, that is just a little exaggerated.)

Again combination of severity and number of cars sold.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Really? I would've sworn that they had a recall on this. Huh, interesting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No need to be an asshole unless you can't help it. The fault is Volvo's no matter when I or anyone else addresses the problem as it is for everyone with the problem. It's difficult to trace leaks as water in my case ran unknown to me into the rear passenger well where the carpet sits on a three to four inch thick foam pad. It's only when the leaking water reaches the top of the carpet that you might notice it and wonder where water is coming into the rear of your car. Leaking windscreen is not your first guess. It was a non Volvo repair guy who identified it after extensive and expensive investigation. My advice to current Volvo owners is vote with your feet, buy elsewhere. Let Volvo know and all your friends also to avoid crappy after sales service. Volvo know it's a problem likely due to faulty programming of the computer robot that applies the bonding glue. Every one of the problems was the result of lack of bonding on the top of the windscreen - nowhere else. It's a worldwide issue.

·
Registered
826 Posts
No need to be an asshole unless you can't help it. The fault is Volvo's no matter when I or anyone else addresses the problem as it is for everyone with the problem. It's difficult to trace leaks as water in my case ran unknown to me into the rear passenger well where the carpet sits on a three to four inch thick foam pad. It's only when the leaking water reaches the top of the carpet that you might notice it and wonder where water is coming into the rear of your car. Leaking windscreen is not your first guess. It was a non Volvo repair guy who identified it after extensive and expensive investigation. My advice to current Volvo owners is vote with your feet, buy elsewhere. Let Volvo know and all your friends also to avoid crappy after sales service. Volvo know it's a problem likely due to faulty programming of the computer robot that applies the bonding glue. Every one of the problems was the result of lack of bonding on the top of the windscreen - nowhere else. It's a worldwide issue.
I haven't had the issue with the faulty windshield, but I did have issues with the sunroof drains in the past. The indicator for that something was up, was when I turn a corner, I could hear water sloshing around somewhere. It sounded pretty much exactly like if you have a 2L water bottle, that was half full underneath the drivers seat.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My 2012 XC60 windshield had a leak at the seal. It got worse and I replaced it years ago. In 2019 the second windshield was pitted after 90,000 miles. I’m now on my third windshield. Everything is great. I’m sure this windshield will need replacement in a couple years.

Moral of the story? Windshields need to be replaced occasionally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
My old 2012 C30 also leaked at the top of the windshield. It showed up within 2 or 3 years of ownership, but past however many miles. Dealer (one I don’t use any more) said it was on me, and I didn’t push it any further than that. Probably should have. I think Volvo definitely had a quality control issue with the windshield adhesives around that time (and I think they know it too).

I ended up just using a bead of silicone window sealant on my own to fix it. It was easy and effective and we rolled along for 100,000 more drip-free miles before I sold the car a few weeks ago. If you do think you are going to replace the windshield at some point, I probably wouldn’t go the silicone route, because I imagine all that would have to be scraped and cleaned off before new glass could be probably sealed on there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts