SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, I noticed a Starburst crack on the very bottom of my 2018 xc60 windshield this morning, below the sight line. I figured since it was out of the way of the HUD and other stuff, I could patch it using one of those permatex kits. Well, when I went to apply the adhesive repair disc and pressed down, a sickening crack sound was made and now there's a longer crack 馃槶馃槶

What are my options here? Has anyone gone through a non-dealer (e.g., safelite) to successfully replace their glass? Safelite claims their glass is compatible with CitySafe and other systems, but I'm not sure. Also, am I looking a bill in excess of $1000?

Registered
Has anyone gone through a non-dealer (e.g., safelite) to successfully replace their glass? Safelite claims their glass is compatible with CitySafe and other systems, but I'm not sure. Also, am I looking a bill in excess of $1000?
I had my 15 xc70 windshield replaced at safelite, They will only use the factory glass and could allegedly "calibrate" my camera and sensors for City safe. I would be willing to bet no dealer actually installs windshields - it's a specialized field. My windshield was heated also (grid of wires like the rear window for defrosting in addition to the regular defrost) and the bill was close to $1500 a year ago. My comprehensive insurance paid for the majority of it. Call your insurance company - if you have comprehensive coverage.

Registered
Ugh, I noticed a Starburst crack on the very bottom of my 2018 xc60 windshield this morning, below the sight line. I figured since it was out of the way of the HUD and other stuff, I could patch it using one of those permatex kits. Well, when I went to apply the adhesive repair disc and pressed down, a sickening crack sound was made and now there's a longer crack 馃槶馃槶

What are my options here? Has anyone gone through a non-dealer (e.g., safelite) to successfully replace their glass? Safelite claims their glass is compatible with CitySafe and other systems, but I'm not sure. Also, am I looking a bill in excess of $1000?
Drilling and filling the star was an original option, although it's going to leave a visible area on the windshield. All they do is fill these cracks with a resin. Honestly, it might be worth checking your insurance policy and finding out how much it'll cost to repair under comprehensive. Assuming you're in the USA. Then having it done at the dealer OR finding out who the dealer uses for their glass repairs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Phew, I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized my comprehensive policy includes $50 glass deductible. I'm going to see if I can insist that they USE genuine Volvo parts through the dealer, I don't have the link right now but there is a formal memo from Volvo that I was able to find online that I can point to.

Registered
You can confirm with Safelite. I think they use genuine Volvo parts because HUD requires polarized film in/on the glass I think.

Registered
I had a couple of windshields replaced on my Volvo. The dealer had someone else do the replacement at the dealership. Not sure if it was Safelite. Cost was close to $1500 each time but insurance covered the cost & the dealership gave me a loaner car so the process was painless.

Registered
I had a couple of windshields replaced on my Volvo. The dealer had someone else do the replacement at the dealership. Not sure if it was Safelite. Cost was close to $1500 each time but insurance covered the cost & the dealership gave me a loaner car so the process was painless.
Interior and Glass installs are farmed out by dealers. So if OP knows who the dealer users, he can go there himself and save a bit or just have dealer do it and get a loaner in mean time. Second option be ideal, if insurance is footing the bills.

Registered
Owning an XC60/90 means getting to know everything about windshield replacement!
I had six windshields on my 2017 T8, over 67k miles. I used to have a place in Steamboat springs and I would drive from Denver fairly regularly. I do not think I have gone once round trip without cracking a windshield. Most were small dings. Some where not. I wish there were laws in the USA mandating mudflaps, at least in places where they toss gravel on the road (like some of those mountain passes) instead of salt. Sure, some of it is driving habits. If you don't follow too closely, you minimize your chances. But I think all my cracks came from either passing on two lanes or from the opposite side. Not much you can do when a big truck coming the other way plasters you with gravel.

The fragility... I think it's a combination of having a fairly flat angle (we had a V90CC and it was not as bad... the 60s are in-between... the 90s are the worst) and new materials that are both impact-safe and environmentally friendly.

The worst vehicle I have ever driven, in terms of windshields, is still a Wrangler. I had a rental in Steamboat a couple of years ago, I managed to collect three cracks in a single trip... two minor and one big side-to-side one. The stupid windshield is just a flat wall of glass. There is no way a pebble or rock will bounce or slide off.

I have gone with Safelite once for Volvo. Huge headache. They could not calibrate the HUD. All the rest was done by Volvo dealerships. I honestly don't know what they used. I also had some supplementary insurance my dealer added to my car when I purchased (they ran a cart into it on pickup day and scratched a bunch of stuff... which led to a discount plus some perks) and I don't think I ever paid a cent. I think it was one of those Zurich Shield things.

Registered
Owning an XC60/90 means getting to know everything about windshield replacement!
I had six windshields on my 2017 T8, over 67k miles. I used to have a place in Steamboat springs and I would drive from Denver fairly regularly. I do not think I have gone once round trip without cracking a windshield. Most were small dings. Some where not. I wish there were laws in the USA mandating mudflaps, at least in places where they toss gravel on the road (like some of those mountain passes) instead of salt. Sure, some of it is driving habits. If you don't follow too closely, you minimize your chances. But I think all my cracks came from either passing on two lanes or from the opposite side. Not much you can do when a big truck coming the other way plasters you with gravel.

The fragility... I think it's a combination of having a fairly flat angle (we had a V90CC and it was not as bad... the 60s are in-between... the 90s are the worst) and new materials that are both impact-safe and environmentally friendly.

The worst vehicle I have ever driven, in terms of windshields, is still a Wrangler. I had a rental in Steamboat a couple of years ago, I managed to collect three cracks in a single trip... two minor and one big side-to-side one. The stupid windshield is just a flat wall of glass. There is no way a pebble or rock will bounce or slide off.

I have gone with Safelite once for Volvo. Huge headache. They could not calibrate the HUD. All the rest was done by Volvo dealerships. I honestly don't know what they used. I also had some supplementary insurance my dealer added to my car when I purchased (they ran a cart into it on pickup day and scratched a bunch of stuff... which led to a discount plus some perks) and I don't think I ever paid a cent. I think it was one of those Zurich Shield things.
I had my back glass replaced by Volvo Dealer (3rd party came to dealership). Long story short, I had windows retinted locally and they f*cked up and broke my rear defrosters. Lost cause I had to pay for back glass replacement. Never had issue. Dealer itself handled the logistics. Of course, this isn't HUD but dealer made things painless.

Far as rocks go, I have some minor chips in my front windshield from pebbles and stones being kicked at window over my 4.5 yrs / 75K of driving. Luckily, nothing more than surface chips and none have gone deeper. Unfortunately, trucks are notoriously for throwing debris and salt into the air.

My headlights + bumper look like a moon crater. Really regret not getting a clear bra on headlights, bumper, and hood. Hood has moderate chipping nothing severe. But bumper and headlights have taken a nice beating.

Damn people.

Registered
Interior and Glass installs are farmed out by dealers. So if OP knows who the dealer users, he can go there himself and save a bit or just have dealer do it and get a loaner in mean time. Second option be ideal, if insurance is footing the bills.
It will be important to confirm with the dealer that their glass installer has the equipment to calibrate the camera. I do not understand what is involved, and maybe Safelite can in fact calibrate. Otherwise, one could experience false positives and have another trip (to the dealer).

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
It will be important to confirm with the dealer that their glass installer has the equipment to calibrate the camera. I do not understand what is involved, and maybe Safelite can in fact calibrate. Otherwise, one could experience false positives and have another trip (to the dealer).

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
So it turns out my dealer farms the work out to a local installer; I spoke with them this morning, and they said they normally do the calibration work themselves for a faster turnaround, but if I'm willing to wait an extra day or two, they can send it up the road to the dealer for no extra charge. What do y'all think about this? I don't know enough about the calibration process to understand if a third party, with the right equipment and training, could do it reliably.

Is there any way to verify the quality of the calibration effort, other than waiting to get in a crash that the system didn't warn me about because it was miscalibrated?

Registered
So it turns out my dealer farms the work out to a local installer; I spoke with them this morning, and they said they normally do the calibration work themselves for a faster turnaround, but if I'm willing to wait an extra day or two, they can send it up the road to the dealer for no extra charge. What do y'all think about this? I don't know enough about the calibration process to understand if a third party, with the right equipment and training, could do it reliably.

Is there any way to verify the quality of the calibration effort, other than waiting to get in a crash that the system didn't warn me about because it was miscalibrated?
Have dealer do calibration and wait extra day or two. My 2 cents.

Registered
Have dealer do calibration and wait extra day or two. My 2 cents.
+1

I agree - especially in light of some on SS having issues with sensitivity of collision warnings. I would not want to second guess the calibration.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
+1

I agree - especially in light of some on SS having issues with sensitivity of collision warnings. I would not want to second guess the calibration.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8
Makes sense, it's just that the glass place was going to be able to do it Wednesday, and with the dealer involved they're thinking it won't be ready until Monday. I hate driving around that long with a cracked windshield (I'm already keeping off of highways as a safety precaution), but I hate more having to go without a car for that time period.

Registered
Makes sense, it's just that the glass place was going to be able to do it Wednesday, and with the dealer involved they're thinking it won't be ready until Monday. I hate driving around that long with a cracked windshield (I'm already keeping off of highways as a safety precaution), but I hate more having to go without a car for that time period.
Sometimes taking the shortcut in life leads to a longer journey than expected. I think patience here will be your friend, even if it's to your ire. Drive around a few extra days, and ensure your Glass and HUD are done right.

Otherwise, impatience could mean you'll be spending far more time trying to get the issues corrected.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed. I ultimately decided to go with the dealer calibration, and the glass shop guy totally understood. I think it was less about impatience, and more about worry of the safety issues in driving with a broken windshield. But I think the longer-term safety play is to make sure the calibration is absolutely done correctly, as others have said. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts