SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well that was interesting..... caught a rock in the windshield, low and not in direct line of vision. Didn't go all the way through so expected to find a divot in outside of window. Nope, both inside and outside of windshield was smooth, the hole/divot was between the layers of glass. This is a 2015 XC70 w the heated glass, rain sensor, and a few other bells and whistles so replacement would be $$. Fortunately the glass shop (recommended by dealer) was able to drill a small hole and fill it. Am hoping that holds and it doesn't spread in the future.

Anyone have experience like this with chips or replacement? Anything I should watch for or beware of with the repair?

Edited to add - asked price of replacement just in case we have to go that way in the future. Right now it looks like OEM is the only option, their cost for glass alone is ~$900. Ouch

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You should be fine. Received a windshield rock-chip on day 2 on my wife's car and just had it repaired. It has held up for over 2 years and can only notice it at the correct angle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Speaking of glass cost. Here in Manitoba Canada I just pay 200$ deductible and the insurance puts a new windshield.
Have done it twice on my 99 S80 T6.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My auto policy has a $250 deductible for windshields. We have a guy that drops by my office once a month and will repair chips for $50 a pop as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
Cost was $50 cash. I'll happily pay that.

Not sure how insurance handles windshield replacement on our policy. Given that we have multiple cars and an <25 male on our policy, we would look carefully at whether it's worth it to turn in for insurance or not, kwim. If it's considered "act of God" and not held against us, it's a different story.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I think windshield replacement is covered on all policies. At least it is here in MA. No extra cost to the policy, no questions asked. The only problem I've heard of with windshield replacement on newer cars with all of this tech built-in is availability of the part itself.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Speaking from the insurance side... you guys should really look into dropping your Comprehensive and Glass Deductibles, it's a negligible amount.

Since Comp Coverage only really takes care of vandalism, it's a rare occurrence (compared to collision).

We have $50 Comp Deductible and $0 for glass, and it was only an extra $20 or so for the year compared to the $250 deductible on the coverage. The difference on Collision deductibles are much more drastic to have low deductibles.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Toy Slacker. I have no deductibles on either glass or comprehensive. The glass replacement is one of the few perks of MA insurance policies.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Coverage varies by state (and consumer choice).
In MN we get zero deductible glass coverage... which means we all pay for it whether we want it or not... but at least I never have to deal with less than perfect glass. I think we've had 3 replacements in our XC70, 1 or 2 in the S80 now. Previously I had probably 3-4 glass replacements in each of my S60s as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well that was interesting..... caught a rock in the windshield, low and not in direct line of vision. Didn't go all the way through so expected to find a divot in outside of window. Nope, both inside and outside of windshield was smooth, the hole/divot was between the layers of glass. This is a 2015 XC70 w the heated glass, rain sensor, and a few other bells and whistles so replacement would be $$. Fortunately the glass shop (recommended by dealer) was able to drill a small hole and fill it. Am hoping that holds and it doesn't spread in the future.

Anyone have experience like this with chips or replacement? Anything I should watch for or beware of with the repair?

Edited to add - asked price of replacement just in case we have to go that way in the future. Right now it looks like OEM is the only option, their cost for glass alone is ~$900. Ouch
I have had glass repaired with this method for year. No issues other than it never 100% perfectly invisible. Once done right it will not crack further, but you still may see witness of it. I got crack in my 2015 after about 100 miles. I RATHER have them fix than to put in new glass. Less risk than remove and replace the glass. I perfer to keep the factory seal as long as possible. My car insurance has free glass so it would be free for me either way.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I have had glass repaired with this method for year. No issues other than it never 100% perfectly invisible. Once done right it will not crack further, but you still may see witness of it. I got crack in my 2015 after about 100 miles. I RATHER have them fix than to put in new glass. Less risk than remove and replace the glass. I perfer to keep the factory seal as long as possible. My car insurance has free glass so it would be free for me either way.
Sometimes filling it doesn't make it any less visible at all...

·
Super Moderator
3,795 Posts

Been driving around with a chip like this for about 2 years now. Right above where they place the State Inspection sticker here in VA. Doesn't bother me nearly badly enough to schedule replacing the windshield and it still passes Inspection...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts