SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each way of a four hour road trip this message came up around 8 times. I understand it can be blocked by insect strikes but it seemed to be too sensitive and go way overboard. Each time it occurred I could wait a few minutes and it would reactivate, so clearly it wasn't completely blocked. And stopping for gas, I could see that indeed there were no large impediments present. Seems it is very sensitive to the lightest impact. This could use improved calibration, it approaches useless if it is going to turn off so often.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Windscreen blocked by insect strikes? It's the Mosquito Apocalypse! Run for your lives (and antihistamines)!
Mosquitocalypse! Hahaha! I think what the OP was trying to say is bug splats on the windshield not necessarily mosquitoes.

Anyway, that's odd for your car to be having that issue. I drove our car in remote areas where our car's windshield was the last thing those poor little thing saw and we never had any issue with the ACC besides the torrential rain we've encountered during our trip.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I assume the bug strikes are obscuring the Racam camera behind the central rear view mirror, an area which may not be reached by the wipers.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume the bug strikes are obscuring the Racam camera behind the central rear view mirror, an area which may not be reached by the wipers.
The bugs were not heavy beside the fact I would not expect the camera to affect ACC at speeds over 30mph. I did not need to wash the windshield at all so the bugs weren't bad, GMO crops seem to have killed them all compared to what I remember as a young lad. I was thinking more central radar, but who knows. Exiting the vehicle, I could see no reason for the blockage in either case. And as I said, it would re-activate after a few minutes which makes it more troublesome because you get no answer for the fault.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had my share of dead bugs and dirty windshield and sofar never had the message; shaky connector somewhere maybe?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Ken, I think your system may need to be checked and recalibrated. I have a hard time believing bug carcasses are causing this.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Same here. I've never seen that message and have had tons of bug strikes. Also I have seen the message for the rear blis sensors getting dirty and that was while kicking up a ton of dust and sand. And even in that they still cleared and reset themselves after a minute.

I think the wipers do cover that area don't they? So there really shouldn't ever be a problem unless it got caked with snow or something.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ken, I think your system may need to be checked and recalibrated. I have a hard time believing bug carcasses are causing this.
Me too! Good to know others are not experiencing this. And as I figured, probably a calibration issue. Add to the growing list of small annoying, um, bugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me too! Good to know others are not experiencing this. And as I figured, probably a calibration issue. Add to the growing list of small annoying, um, bugs.
I have the same issue as you Ken with our new 2016 Volvo XC90. The adaptive cruise randomly quits with the 'Windscreen blocked' error message. I have had the sensor calibrated at our local Volvo dealership to no avail. They seem stumped. The issue is definitely not bugs or a dirty windshield. For me it happens basically every time I drive anywhere. The one thing though that is a constant is that this problem will happen at pretty specific geographical locations on the high way I drive. I usually know where this will happen because it seems to happen the same places on the highway. Some kind of interference maybe? Have you been able to find the solution to this problem Ken? As far as I know there are two other 2016 Volvo XC90's in the province of Manitoba, Canada where I live that also have the same issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the same issue as you Ken with our new 2016 Volvo XC90. The adaptive cruise randomly quits with the 'Windscreen blocked' error message. I have had the sensor calibrated at our local Volvo dealership to no avail. They seem stumped. The issue is definitely not bugs or a dirty windshield. For me it happens basically every time I drive anywhere. The one thing though that is a constant is that this problem will happen at pretty specific geographical locations on the high way I drive. I usually know where this will happen because it seems to happen the same places on the highway. Some kind of interference maybe? Have you been able to find the solution to this problem Ken? As far as I know there are two other 2016 Volvo XC90's in the province of Manitoba, Canada where I live that also have the same issue.
Hello Stan
These areas where you get the predictive message/issue. Does your mobile phone also go offline at the same time? Any infrastructure around using motion sensor devices? Military? Speed cameras?
Remember it is a radar that is sitting up on your windscreen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Each way of a four hour road trip this message came up around 8 times. I understand it can be blocked by insect strikes but it seemed to be too sensitive and go way overboard. Each time it occurred I could wait a few minutes and it would reactivate, so clearly it wasn't completely blocked. And stopping for gas, I could see that indeed there were no large impediments present. Seems it is very sensitive to the lightest impact. This could use improved calibration, it approaches useless if it is going to turn off so often.
I recognize windscreen blocked as a software error that my dealer had a fix for when I went in several weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how does this system hold up in heavy rain or snow? does the manual recommend not using these features during these situations?
It won't turn on in these situations.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It has only happened to me twice in the same spot on a particular road. Im assuming it is interference, i cannot visibly identify any speed cameras nor communications towers in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could it be the sun? My JGC gets stupid if the sun hits its "eye" at the right angle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had this as well. I think it is when you pull up behind a semi or bus it throws the system into a funk. This error does appear to go away after turning off the car most times. I would classify this as a nusuance. Wait till the bigger stuff happens. I also had the whining stereo and mechanical sounding whine through my speakers on occasion . It would leave pretty quick though. Wait till the suspension failures, black instrument clusters and rebooting sensus unit in the pouring rain at night. Those are what I would consider bigger problems.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
For whine and mechanical sound through speakers, one possibility is that the ground of audio amplifier is loose. Loosen ground may cause all kind of weird problems and quite hard to find out.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 101 Posts